What exactly did I dig up this morning?

KSUWildcatFan

I picked up four of these at a garage sale this morning. I'm a bit stumped on what EXACTLY I found, though. Is it something good or some wannabe junk? Any help?

Trying to attach some pictures but not having luck. I'll keep trying...

The speakers are in black cabinets and it looks to be a 12" driver plus a horn tweet. The back says "TH-SR-2" and the tag says:

Klipsch (no mention of Heresy)

Type H THSR(?)2

Serial 8821621

885/208 [0113] [0411]

Inspected by R Wyatt

Tested by (?) Clayton

Klipsch and Associates, Inc.

• Like 1

Apologies if this is in the wrong subforum. I wasn't really sure which made better sense. 

I assume I did "okay" on these considering I only paid $40, but I have no idea HOW "okay". I'm half tempted to try hanging them in my shop to replace the commercial grade JBL speakers that came with my shop, although I'm not entirely sure my metal studs could properly support these...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KSUWildcatFan said:

I assume I did "okay" on these considering I only paid $40, but I have no idea HOW "okay". I'm half tempted to try hanging them in my shop 

20 minutes ago, billybob said:

Welcome maybe some 2 way Theatre builds

Billybob hit it right on the head surround theater speakers with limited freq. response, 70hz-6000hz? Don't know how far you want to go with these but a new crossover and a pair of tweeters and you'd have a nice set of relatively full range Heresy speakers. 

• Like 3

Good scoop!  Was that $40 for all four or $40 each? 

When it comes to figuring power with AVRs, a more accurate way to describe it might be:

“7 channels, 140 watts per channel with 2 channels driven.”

The reason I’d put it like that is because, unlike with 2-channel receivers and amplifiers, the FCC does not require a precise statement of power output, like “XX Watts x 2, 20-20kHz, 0.5 % THD”.  With the looser descriptions of AVR power output permitted at present, it’s easy to think that you actually have 140 x 7 watts = 980 watts, which is very unlikely.

My AVR is a Yamaha RX-A2060, with “140 watts x 9 channels” listed as its maximum power.  Does that mean it has 140 watts x 2  = 280 watts more than your AVR?  Not likely.  All I can be reasonably sure of is that it can put out 140 watts x 2 channels = 280 watts into 2 channels.  Anything beyond that should be tested before any claims are made.  Chances are that my AVR puts out 70 watts or less per channel if all 9 channels are driven.

To be fair, there is a handful of AVRs that actually do put out their claimed power with all channels driven, but those models are way more expensive than the typical consumer models.

On the bright side, with the high sensitivity of Klipsch speakers, power output is much less critical when setting up a system.  Those speakers that you got also look pretty sensitive, so you should be all set in that regard.

Also, welcome to the Forum!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

Good scoop!  Was that $40 for all four or $40 each? 

When it comes to figuring power with AVRs, a more accurate way to describe it might be:

“7 channels, 140 watts per channel with 2 channels driven.”

The reason I’d put it like that is because, unlike with 2-channel receivers and amplifiers, the FCC does not require a precise statement of power output, like “XX Watts x 2, 20-20kHz, 0.5 % THD”.  With the looser descriptions of AVR power output permitted at present, it’s easy to think that you actually have 140 x 7 watts = 980 watts, which is very unlikely.

My AVR is a Yamaha RX-A2060, with “140 watts x 9 channels” listed as its maximum power.  Does that mean it has 140 watts x 2  = 280 watts more than your AVR?  Not likely.  All I can be reasonably sure of is that it can put out 140 watts x 2 channels = 280 watts into 2 channels.  Anything beyond that should be tested before any claims are made.  Chances are that my AVR puts out 70 watts or less per channel if all 9 channels are driven.

To be fair, there is a handful of AVRs that actually do put out their claimed power with all channels driven, but those models are way more expensive than the typical consumer models.

On the bright side, with the high sensitivity of Klipsch speakers, power output is much less critical when setting up a system.  Those speakers that you got also look pretty sensitive, so you should be all set in that regard.

Also, welcome to the Forum!

$40 for all four. It started off at $25 for the pair he had outside (I offered 20, knowing I'd jump at 25 if he told me to take a hike) and then he offered up two more. I have no idea what else he might have (he had a set of junky Sharp towers out for $15) but you can bet I'm going to stop by tomorrow morning and ask!

Great point on the receiver. I guess I don't know true output from it but I assume it's on the beefier end of typical consumer grade stuff especially considering it was originally a $2000+ MSRP unit. The receiver is an absolute physical monster (40+ pounds) and certainly drives the 4xJBL Control 25s I have pretty hard. It seemed to do well with the ADS L630s (another $40 find!) I added on to those JBLs, plus an Infinity center channel (to hit the full 7 channels driven) for a time.

Thanks for the warm welcome! This is my first set of vintage klipsch speakers (I usually only accumulate what I find cheap). I'm looking forward to giving them a try. 

20221020_151047.jpg

Edited by KSUWildcatFan
Typos
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, geoff. said:

I would love to see what's inside those if you ever get around to putting a Philips to the drivers.

They might sound pretty damn good, all four together, with some EQing. 

You got it. I didn't snap the horn because I was in a hurry and it wouldn't come out that direction. 

20221020_184251-min.jpg

20221020_184310-min.jpg

• Like 1

Those boards have T2A autoformers and 2304 (4mH) inductors. Very useful parts, on nice boards with barrier strips. Instant score there.

The K-22 woofers are worth more than 40 bucks, each.

I was under the impression the Klipsch stage monitors using what looks to be the same midhorn went to 12khz. If you can reach your phone inside you don't need to risk cracking the horn. Good thinking on your part, I've lost count of the carnage of my haste.

Those speakers won't "sparkle"  without tweeters but they have potential.

The cabinets almost look to be Heresy cabinets without the cutout in the motorboard for the tweeters? Maybe compare the dimensions to the Heresys? 

Look forward to hearing your impressions once you've hooked them up, and thanks.

9 hours ago, geoff. said:

Those boards have T2A autoformers and 2304 (4mH) inductors. Very useful parts, on nice boards with barrier strips. Instant score there.

The K-22 woofers are worth more than 40 bucks, each.

I was under the impression the Klipsch stage monitors using what looks to be the same midhorn went to 12khz. If you can reach your phone inside you don't need to risk cracking the horn. Good thinking on your part, I've lost count of the carnage of my haste.

Those speakers won't "sparkle"  without tweeters but they have potential.

The cabinets almost look to be Heresy cabinets without the cutout in the motorboard for the tweeters? Maybe compare the dimensions to the Heresys? 

Look forward to hearing your impressions once you've hooked them up, and thanks.

It's weird, because there's definitely a 'cutout' of sorts in the cabinets, under the midhorn. I'm not sure if that can be knocked out and used for the tweets or not, it's awfully close to the midhorn. I'll snap a pic of which midhorn it has a bit later this morning if I can break away for a few minutes, and I'll throw a tape measure on the cabinets. Pricing the tweets made me gag a bit, but if buying those would really bring these things to the next level it would be difficult not to do it...considering my initial investment.

I did hook them up yesterday and everything appears to 'work' okay without any noticeable sound issues (IE it doesn't appear anything is blown or otherwise not working as intended). Always good on that, lol.

20221020_111627-min.jpg

Edited by KSUWildcatFan
Added picture
  • Like 2