Farewell to Maurice Gibb

Jim Cornell

Im in no way targeting any forum member for not knowing much about the Bee Gees. This is a fairly young crowd around here with particular tastes that I can appreciate.

However I think its unfair the way the media has characterized the Brothers Gibb in their by the way if you dont know attitude at the end of their reports of Maurices passing when they say the Bee Gees were a Disco band of the seventies. I wont get into it here but they were and are much more than that. Once again the people that control the airwaves have proven their overall ignorance of another subject they pretend to know something about. The poor man is probably rolling in his grave and hes not even in it yet. These knuckleheads cant even get an epitaph right. Duhhhhhhhhhh, Peggy Lee died the other day. She sang songs. Time for another Led Zeppelin Cadillac commercial .Well be back in a moment. Give me a break.

Damn !

Here we are memorialising Maurice Gibb and Peggy Lee and even though I have some serious reservations about both artists I am sad for them and myself.

I really lost interest in the BeeGees about the time of SNF. I am not a snob but for me most disco stuff was precisely that - Stuff. Admittedly there was some early BeeGees music that I liked and even a limited amount of disco music that I appreciated - including a couple of BeeGees tunes.

Peggy Lee never interested me for whatever reason but I was always aware that like her or not she was one of the masters of her genre . One need not be a fan to recognise mastery in an artist.

I feel a selfish sort of sadness to hear of these passings because I am thereby forcibly reminded that I have entered a life phase where the fact of my mortality can no longer be ignored . At 59 I may well live for another 30-40 years but if I were to drop dead tomorrow many would say "Well he had a decent run !"

I had always assumed that when I reached middle age that I would feel old/er but for me the depressing fact is that for all intents and purposes I feel now the way that many would love to feel at 30. I just plain do not want to go or be reminded by the passings of others that I have lived more than half of my life.

Of course I would love to be able to say that aging has had no perceptible effect on me but that would be a lie. My vision and hearing are not terrible but I am tri-focalled and my hearing situation adds a whole new dimension to bi-amping.

On the other hand as John Wayne said once to Jimmy Cagney:

" May you live forever and may the last voice you hear be mine" 11.gif

The Brothers Gibb were a kind of musical Rodney Dangerfields; they never got no respect. Well, I would have admit to liking a lot of their music, but yet not really being a big fan, either. But, they did put out one album that I consider a classic and would recommend to any pop music fan: "Main Course", from 1975. It contains the big hit, "Jive Talkin'", and also "Nights on Broadway", and just a lot of other real good songs. Not one clunker on the album. On a scale of one to ten, I'd give that album a 9 for music, and maybe a 7 for sonics.

Lynn, I know how you feel. I'm 46 and wonder where all the time's gone. And the older I get, the faster it seems to go by. Like Steve Miller said, "Time keeps on slippin' into the future". And the song Judy Collins sang; "Who Knows Where The Time Goes?" So true. I am just thankful, because like you, if it was all over today, people would say I'd had a good run. And I have no complaints. Life's been good. And I'm ready to go, whenever the time comes. (Not that I'm in any hurry, mind you!) My poor wife; she'll have to unload all my audio-junk.8.gif

Maurice will be missed! It's a shame he had to leave this world so early, and what will his two remaining brothers do? They have written songs for others, so they may go that route again, but it's sad that the Bee Gees will be no more.

I've never liked Disco, but I've respected the Bee Gees for their contributions to the genre...they're great at what they do, and their performances were always outstanding. My only favorite album of theirs was "One" in 1989; unfortunantly, I'm not familiar with any of their latest songs.

RIP, Maurice...