La Scalas+grippers+hk430=WOW!!!!!!!

ricktate

I hooked my sons HK430 up to my La Scalas and put volume knob at 9.30 and this little thing kicked some bass out you would not believe.My son walked in and could not believe the HK was doing that and had to go check it.Andy is right this HK and some grippers will put you in audio heaven,wished i had some k-horns now..lol....my son is lucky i dont have any room for his HK in my stereo shelf.The Scalas with grippers on them were shaking the walls and pictures but my wifes nick nacks on top of them did not move...made them sound much tighter,deeper...and the HK was coasting didnt even get warm...i wished you guys could hear this set up....rick

Well, I've had my HK430 for almost two weeks now and I just love it to death. It makes my Heresy IIs sing so loud it seems like they'll crack glass but the real surprise to me is the bass it puts out. Imagine that - BASS on a Heresy II! LOL. I can imagine what your La Scalas must sound like! I have my system in my den, which is off my kitchen and measures approximately 25feet by 15feet and when I turn the volume up to say, the 12noon position, I can't even stay in the room it's so darn loud. Like I said in one of my other posts, I like my sound to have crystal cracking highs, strong and forceful midrange and tight bass - all of which is delivered by that little HK430 I have. HDBRbuilder recommended this unit to me and I bought it on Ebay without even hearing one beforehand so yes, I admit I was a bit nervous (especially after it arrived and I saw the thing) at first. But after cleaning it and hooking it up, I was amazed to find that it makes my Heresy IIs give me the exact kind of sound I'm looking for. Sure, I'd love a pair of La Scalas (who wouldn't?!) but I just can't physically fit them anywhere in my house and since I'm not moving anytime soon they're not on my immediate horizon. Besides, my Heresy IIs give me the kind of sound I want and more volume then I can even use, thanks to my HK430, so the La Scalas would just be overkill even if I could fit them somewhere in my home. That still doesn't mean I wouldn't LOVE to hear how a pair of La Scalas would sound when hooked up to an HK430, so the only question is, are you in southern California?! LOL. 2.gif

Josh,

"Grippers" are dense neoprene foam rubber self-stick pads that can be found in Wal-Mart and other department stores. They come in various sizes, but I recommend using the black neoprene ones. They provide a good "seal" to hardwood or concrete, or other solid floor media when placing speakers on them, thereby allowing the floor surface to better aid in projection of the sound...especially in the bass bottom-end of larger heavier speakers. In the case of LaScalas, they will really tighten-up the bass bottom-end...to the extent that the speakers will get their max bottom-end performance in these floor situations. You just pry out the metal gliders on the bottom of the speakers, and replace them with the grippers, while adding one more gripper to the center of the bottom of the speaker. Grippers come in various sizes, but my recommendation for LaScalas is to use the 1" to 1-1/2" diameter ones in black neoprene. Grippers are originally designed for furniture feet when on hardwood floors, etc...so that the feet do not mar the floor surface....and so that the furniture feet grip the smooth floor surface. They are a simple and inexpensive audio "fix" that I highly recommend. Even for Heresys sitting on a smooth floor surface, they will help the speaker to do what it is trying to do...and you will HEAR the difference!

I used 1 1/2 inch on the four corners then i got 1 inch ones and put two towards the center about 2 inches apart.I think this has got to help keep that bottom board from vibrating.Whether it did or not, it dont now for sure,,,lol,,,and the sound is better for sure.....going to hook the HK up this weekend and watch some movies see how it sounds....listen close you might here them.......I got a Yamaha 1040 with 80 watts a channel and the HK seems like it beats it in the bottom end....both units are quite but the HK seems to do it with so little effort!!!!.Need to a-b test them it to tell more.But the little HK is one heck of a unit.....rick2.gif

• 2 months later...

i just got my lascalas hooked up today the first thing i grabbed was my carver mx-130 reciever. the sound is good but i think it can be better as the carver is a little dirty with nothing coming theu the speakers. but its a start and the next couple of days ill try my mitsubishi da-7dc amp next and go from there.

scott