Heresy iii- what finish was used at the factory?

Schroedinger

Greetings all, first post here.  I recently acquired a set of walnut Heresy iii's in very good condition from the original purchaser.  One one of the speakers, the finish on the top is spotty with some bare wood spots showing (see photo).  The previous owner said that it was like that when he received the speakers.  I've done a fair amount of woodworking and cabinetry, and it just looks to me like they used one too few coats of finish during production, or they put the speakers into the packaging before the finish was dry and it left an impression.  It should be pretty easy to lightly sand the surface and apply another coat of finish, but I would like to use the same finish that the factory used for original production.  Does anyone know what finish is used during original production?  Specifics are helpful here- type (oil, polyurethane, lacquer, etc.) and brand.  Thanks in advance.

veneer.jpg

The last Heresy version that was available with a standard oiled finish was the Heresy II.  The standard finishes for the Heresy III (or later) were all sealed.  My understanding is that the topcoat was lacquer (and still is on current Heritage products), but I'm not 100% certain.  Perhaps someone from Klipsch will chime in to confirm this or correct me.

23 hours ago, Schroedinger said:

, lacquer 

it's lacquer ,  however the veneer is paper thin (MDF pre-veneered panel ) .

there is a product called  TRADE SECRET , sold on Amazon , the product will blend  without  pre- sanding  

2 hours ago, OO1 said:

it's lacquer ,  however the veneer is paper thin (MDF pre-veneered panel ) .

there is a product called  TRADE SECRET , sold on Amazon , the product will blend  without  pre- sanding  

I mentioned Trade Secret when @Schroedinger asked about this in one of the Klipsch Facebook groups.  😉  By the way, I used it on my 35 year old pine Ikea kitchen table.  It did a great job of restoring the appearance of the finish.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I also reached out to Klipsch customer service, and they confirmed that the top coat is a 40 sheen clear lacquer.  Good to know that the veneer is thin, I'll go easy with the sanding.  Based on past experience I'm pretty fussy about wood finishing and skeptical of "scratch remover" type products, especially if there is bare wood.  Hard lessons learned from instrument repair.  I did look into the Trade Secret scratch remover and it doesn't contain silicone or wax, so not as bad as some of the others.  Still, I'm going to stick with satin lacquer for the first coat.

And yes, I have a cat.  Or no, I don't.  It's hard to tell exactly.

Edited by Schroedinger
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1