Lassiz le bon ton roulet!

Lone Palm

Regarding my name . . . I was named for my maternal grandfather . . . William Gilroy. So I got his nickname, too. He passed away before I was born. However some people have reported we have similar personalities and interests. He was a compulsive tinkerer.

Gil

Sorry Andy, the Red River's closer to Arkansas and the Red Schtick quite possibly a tree. Here's the scoop from the Baton Rouge Chamber of Commerce.

"The area's first permanent European settlement was founded in 1699 when French-Canadian explorer Pierre Le Moyne (Sieur d'Iberville) organized the first colony here. Legend has it that Iberville and his explorers discovered a tall, blood-stained cypress tree on the riverbank that marked the hunting territory of two Native American tribes. As a result, they later christened the area Baton Rouge, or "red stick." The actual site of this "baton rouge" (or "istrouma," in Native American dialect), is located at what today is the campus of Southern University."

And Southern University is on the banks of the mighty Mississippi in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. =HornEd

OOPS...sorry bout the Red River thing...of course I know red stick is on the Mississippi...LOL!...south of where the Red River dumps into the Mississippi...LOL! Either way...my understanding was the "red stick" denoted tribal fishing rights due to previous bloodshed in conflicts there when the river was down due to drought conditions and made the fishing for sustainance during those times likely to lead to bloodshed between the tribal groups on either side of the river at that point...IOW...a boundary beyond which members of the tribes were in the other tribes' territory and had BEST not be fishing. The story was passed down a few generations to me...so it could likely have yet again been bastardized in the telling...my paternal GGgrandmother was a direct full-blooded surviving descendant of the tribe on the east side of the river there...and was fluent in her native tongue, French, AND English...pretty damned good "deal" for a wife for my namesake as he wandered through Louisiana up into southwest Arkansas in the 1840's with his new wife...yep...good ole Scot/native American blood here!! LOL!

Lone Palm, Get some good pictures as you toss the beads and share them with your friends. I was down in the Keys during Fantasy Fest and the place was insane. It was like a Girls Gone Wild video from Sloppy Joe's up to the Hard Rock Cafe'. It was a freak show further up Duvall and I'm just not into that kind of Jerry Springer thing, if you know what I mean. When I was in Nawleans last year I went to a great restaurant at the end of Bourbon St. It's called the Redfish and it has some of the best gumbo I have ever had. Anyway, have fun and don't get caught on one of those Cops from New Orleans specials.

In the understanding of how the term "Acadien", in French (Acadian, in English-spelling) became "Cajun", one may draw certain parallels to how the Pennsylvania "Deutsche" came to be called "Dutch" by their English-speaking neighbors over time...even adopting the "bastardized" version of this when speaking of themselves in the language of the "English".