Stupid Capacitor Reform Question

artto

On 1/20/2023 at 2:37 PM, henry4841 said:

Now that is an old one for sure. I have 6 or so old scopes but none that old. My repairs of old scopes has been hit or miss. Most times it is a power supply problem though. 

But getting back to reforming old caps, unless the equipment is decades old I do not go through the trouble myself. Does not hurt to be too careful though. To answer the how question, slowly bring the power up to approximately 60V's and hold it awhile there then slowly bring it up to line voltage from there. 

I have a stack of 40's HP gear IT IS HUGE!

I bring them up very slowly but yeah the culpret is usually a cap somewhere. Never leave tantalum caps always replace..

I think I replaced 1000 caps in a stack of Sound Technology test gear but hey it all works now.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 12:25 PM, henry4841 said:

I have a number of scopes and like Seti really like my old analog scopes. Crap shoot finding a good working one but when you do you will love the trace it provides. Still I probably use my digital scope more being it is so easy to get numbers. Nothing fancy for me, a Hantek DSO5102 is plenty good enough for audio work. 

I watched some videos on the Hantek 5102 scope.  Looks relatively easy to use and well priced.  I was originally looking at handheld scopes like the Hantek 2D72 or Owon HDS 272S, but for $100 more this seems like a real bargain. 

Is a model with a signal generator a good idea? 

https://www.amazon.com/Hantek-DSO4102C-Multimeter-Oscilloscope-Generator/dp/B0784BB8Q6#customerReviews

10 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I watched some videos on the Hantek 5102 scope.  Looks relatively easy to use and well priced.  I was originally looking at handheld scopes like the Hantek 2D72 or Owon HDS 272S, but for $100 more this seems like a real bargain. 

Is a model with a signal generator a good idea? 

https://www.amazon.com/Hantek-DSO4102C-Multimeter-Oscilloscope-Generator/dp/B0784BB8Q6#customerReviews

Looks good. I think having a built in generator is nice. Probably works well.