Will the storyteller contest winner please post here

Jim Cornell

Hello fellow Klipsch fanatics!

After years of lurking on this board, I've decided to come out of the shadows and post. I figured since I was one of the honorable mentions in the recent Klipsch Storyteller contest, it was the least I could do. I am a member of this great community but, until now, not an active one. I hope to change that (time, hobbies, career, and family permitting...)

Hopefully a few of you have had a chance to read my story and hopefully you feel I earned my prize fairly and squarely. I entered back in May and had quite honestly forgotten all about it until I got an email from Joshua the other day asking me what finish I preferred. "Finish? You mean I won something?" Needless to say I was rather shocked.

I instantly "got" what the intent of the contest was having grown up reading that legendary old Klipsch ad copy in Stereo Review and Audio that told stories of various Klipsch owners and their speakers that refused to die. Fires, floods, earthquakes. I remember them all. I used to think "Man, these have got to be SOME TOUGH SPEAKERS!" So I wrote my own little story with that in mind. Apparently, so did Tony!

So anyways, here I am with a pair of H-IIs on the way and I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with them. I'm tempted to use them as rears with my F-IIs but I don't know. My living room is fairly small and the WAF would be pretty low. My SS-1s may remain in place in which case the new additions will be exiled to the bedroom system. Unfortunately, my bedroom gear is even crappier than my living room gear. 15-odd year old JVC integrated (60w?), P.O.S. Sony CD player, Sony Hi-Fi VCR and cassette decks, and a 27" Toshiba. Straight 2ch. I've got some (rather decent) Design Acoustics PS-8c 8" sealed-box two-ways in there right now but they're going to the curb the day my H-IIs arrive. I have a feeling the Heresies will instantly require an upgrade of at least the amp. I used to run my Fortes with a Jolida 802 but I sold it a few years ago and went back to using my trusty old Adcom 555/545 combo. Then the Home Theater bug bit (but that's a whole other story.) I would love to find another inexpensive Jolida to try with these new H-IIs. Anybody know of a better source than eBay?

Take care everybody and I'll be seeing you around.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirk,

First of all, congratulations on your Heresy win in the contest...so far we have three of the 6 winners on this BB...would be nice to hear from the other three sometime soon, too!

As for your putting the Heresys in your bedroom...You might try an old mid-70's Harman/Kardon 430 receiver for your Heresys in the bedroom set-up...even though it is OLD...you can get em fairly inexpensively on ebay (normally under 100 bucks), and they will definitely do your Heresys justice...they are also about as simple and bulletproof as you can get...and the sound is out of this world for S/S on Heresys...they also have a nice look to them and the lighting from one would be sublime in the bedroom at nite(pale green with yellow/orange on the faceplate lighting)...and by having a receiver, you can opt for FM music...an additional bonus, since the H/K has a really nice tuner section, too!!...just a thought...I know it is hard to believe...but the hearing will convince you!! Trust me on this!

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

Did you guys notice how my name was listed first among the Honorable Mentions? Do you think that means anything? What if the Grand Prize Winner can't be contacted or won't give a shipping address or is incapacitated and can't accept his prize? I'm not saying I really need or even want a pair of K-Horns (waaaaay too much speaker for me right now.) But I can't help wonderin', you know?

If figured "Oak Raw" would be unfinished oak... but since I'm having a hard time findings samples of Klipsch's current oak veneers maybe you could tell me which one of these "Oak Raw" is closest to:

http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/samples/samples5.html

My Forte IIs (originally oiled oak) are closest to the red oak rotary cut (upper right corner) but age and regular re-oiling has darkened them considerably. Is Klipsch using the same red oak or should I expect something lighter like the white oak?

OK, one more nagging question - if I decide to take the riser base off of the Heresys later, will there be holes (leaks) in the bottom of the enclosure? Or is the hardware non-penetrating? I'm thinking I'll go with short stands for the H-IIs (10-12") but I certainly will experiment with floor placement.

Thanks for all your help!

Kirk,

I really don't have any idea what kind of oak veneer they are using now...so that is a hard question for me ot ask.

If your risers are mounted, then there WILL BE mounting holes for the screws that secure the risers to the cabinets. I have no idea if the screws will go all the way through the cabinets though...they didn't when I worked there...but who knows now? Even if they DO, you can always drill out the holes some, and put machine screw inserts into em (with a dab of epoxy to secure em for good)...and plug the threaded holes with one of those vinyl flat-topped inserts til you want to remount the risers...then use machine screws to remount the risers....easy fix! The only problem is that the holes will be visible on the bottom if you ever lay em on their sides or put em upside down(as I intend to do initially, which is why I don't want the risers mounted or any pilot holes drilled into the cabinet bottoms!).

Anybody know how long it takes for "special order" speakers like these contest prize Heresys to arrive? I've never ordered speakers before and am curious. Is this like your typical "allow 4 to 6 weeks" kind of thing, or is it more like a car (4-6 MONTHS)?

I am all primed to upgrade my second system's pawn-shop electronics but the wife won't let me make a move until we know when (and if) the speakers are coming for SURE...8.gif