HELP: BUILDING MY HOME THEATER

vandec54

i would like some opinions on this home theater set-up. i am close to purchasing it. i am a college student on a budget, but i don't want to sell myself short and have to buy something down the road because i am unhappy with the preformance. i would like any opinions on what part(s) to maybe upgrade, any additions, and how this system will sound. Thankyou.

CENTER: RC-3II

WOOFER: KSW-12

FRONT: RF3-II

REAR: RB-3

----------------

On 1/18/2003 9:24:42 AM vandec54 wrote:

i would like some opinions on this home theater set-up. i am close to purchasing it. i am a college student on a budget, but i don't want to sell myself short and have to buy something down the road because i am unhappy with the preformance. i would like any opinions on what part(s) to maybe upgrade, any additions, and how this system will sound. Thankyou.

CENTER: RC-3II

WOOFER: KSW-12

FRONT: RF3-II

REAR: RB-3

----------------

Personally, I would stay away from the KSW-12. I think Klipsch subs are a bit too boomy and not that great at hitting incredible lows. I would suggest though that you listen to it in person and give it a run through for it's money with the kind of stuff you'll be listening too. If you find it a bit too boomy and or not strong enough then I would suggest looking into a SVS sub (svsubwoofers.com) or hsu sub. However, the rest of your speaker selection is great. I'm in the same boat as you are, I just graduated college however. So money is short but I want a kick-butt system too. And what's even better is except for the sub you and I will have the same speaker setup! :) Now,what about that receiver?!

I would also suggest staying away from KSW-12, the newer RSW are much less boomy and have much tigher control of the driver. Depending on the room you are going to put this system into, I might suggest using RS-3s for the rear channels, but it is a personal preference.

-dbl

the ksw wiil be a good match with your rf 3's, unless you can get svs on sale, and dont get the rb's your budget should allow a few more dollars for another set of rf 3's for satellites, if you audition in person, you would see that the rf's have much more sound than either the rb's or rs's, this is really important for music and ht. after auditioning all of the reference line i saw that the rb's and rs's cant stand in the same room as the floor standers12.gif

The question is can this budget limited student afford more than the 300 dollars or less the ksw 12 can be had for? is there a better sub out there for the price im not sure their is. also placement of the sub is absolutely critical and can almost eliminate the boominess others have reported. are the RSW better of course they are but they cost twice as much you can get a def tech 15 inch for that anyway thats my opinion.