Quartet Clear Oak Restoration

Micklipsch

12 hours ago, Micklipsch said:

Question--those KG 4.2s, is that exactly how they looked after stripping/ sanding? Nothing applied to give them those brown and blonde colors?

Those are freshly sanded.  Nothing added.  (The Sparkle is just there as I cleaned my windshield with it)  Of all the pairs of speakers I've refinished, these have been the most mismatched I've stumbled across.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

Those are freshly sanded.  Nothing added.  (The Sparkle is just there as I cleaned my windshield with it)  Of all the pairs of speakers I've refinished, these have been the most mismatched I've stumbled across.

Please take pictures of the completed prop product. I’d like to see what they look like when they’re finished I have KG 4.2 that are black and I’m thinking about refinishing mine.  Great work by the way how old is enjoy seeing what you’re doing or selling.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 7:56 AM, Iteachstem said:

You have to really inspect what the veneer looks like before you think it will turn out beautiful.  For example, when I bough this used pair of KG 4.2's, I new they needed a sanding as the veneer had some pretty deep scratches.  Also, I knew with a pretty decent degree of certainty, that these would not be a great candidate for anything other than a paint job again because the veneers were so different.  Most of the time speaker companies pair the the mismatched veneer speakers and those are the ones that end up being painted black, etc.  However, it's such a great feeling when you remove the black and expose some beautiful wood... making you think why in the world would anyone ever paint it black?!?!

IMG_7819.jpg

Where there is actually black before you sanded them down?

2 hours ago, Micklipsch said:

Would you use the trade secret first, then finish with an oil wipe down, in the case of an oiled walnut finish?

I suppose you can if you wanted to  , Trade secret is a natural oil blend  , which penetrates  the finish  ,   0 chemicals , 0 yellow or fade with age  , 0 residue ,no vapors ,  most oil wipes have alcohol , chemicals , acetone , petroleum distillates  , you dont want to breathe this stuff indoors  .

Trade secret scratch remover was  mainly used  for high traffic wood  floors .

-there is  a furniture polisher /cleaner which can be used after the scratch remover is applied , for lacquer,  raw or oiled veneer . 

https://www.tradesecret.ca/?page_id=110

9 minutes ago, OO1 said:

I suppose you can if you wanted to  , Trade secret is a natural oil blend  , which penetrates  the finish  ,   0 chemicals , 0 yellow or fade with age  , 0 residue ,no vapors ,  most oil wipes have alcohol , chemicals , acetone , petroleum distillates  , you dont want to breathe this stuff indoors  .

Trade secret scratch remover was  mainly used  for high traffic   wood  floors  , there is  a furniture polisher , cleaner which can be used after  the scratch remover for lacquer,  raw or oiled veneer . 

https://www.tradesecret.ca/?page_id=110

Ok, cool. How about in the case of these Heresys that are in fine shape and just need maintenance? That trade secret spray, or something like Watco’s rejuvenating oil? 

IMG_4476.jpeg

IMG_4030.jpeg

7 hours ago, Micklipsch said:

Ok, cool. How about in the case of these Heresys that are in fine shape and just need maintenance? That trade secret spray, or something like Watco’s rejuvenating oil? 

IMG_4476.jpeg

IMG_4030.jpeg

Trade Secret would bring them back to life ,  it has the characteristic to restore the original finish while not altering the  color  , Watco oil  is  boiled linseed oil with a tinting agent ,  I would rather use regular linseed oil , boil it , apply  , a few coats , and burn the rags right away outdoors  , no exceptions .

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, OO1 said:

looking real good 

Thanks Randy. I got a trade secret kit finally. Had to have it mailed via Home Depot. I used the process on some oiled walnut KG2 (squared) and they came out spectacular. I’ll probably make a separate post on that and become a TS advocate like yourself :D

• Thanks 1