Lascala crossover question

please forgive me I’m new. 1995 my son blew my woofers in my 1977 Lascalas. At the time I had read that if you boxed your crossovers up and sent them to Hope they would check and repair them charging only for parts. I sent them and several months later I got them back with a letter saying they were fine no charge. But the capacitors looked shiny and new. I reinstalled crossovers and never got around to replacing woofers because they were in storage for years in my parents house and I had no room for them where I had moved. Since 2017 I moved them into a trailer without climate control. Now I have room to set them up again and replace woofers. My question is since the crossovers have never been used since getting them back from Klipsch, should they be good now. I would attach a pic but I’ve not learned this site yet. But they look fine to me. Clean and dry no leaks. What do y’all think?

• Like 1

Sorry for long answer, but no I’ve not ordered replacement woofers yet and this is why: earlier this year my oldest friend and band mate since 1974 passed away leaving me 12 guitars, 5 amps, 700+ albums, 1000 cd’s, effects… all this stuff is in boxes all over my house. So we’re in process of enclosing our garage for a man cave/ home studio to house these things. Replacing my old Crown dc300a and 150a preamp with something new is next step and once I have room complete I’ll bring Lascalas out of trailer and repair them to compliment new system. One step at a time. But I have been looking online for replacements. Any recommendations? I would appreciate any advice I can get before I start. I’ve bought the McIntosh mc152 amp, Id love to bring Crown 150 preamp back into service but pots are scratchy and phono inputs are buzzing. So I may need a new one. Any advice is appreciated. 

• Like 1

@Kevin cornette

this is the woofer many swear by as a replacement for the LaScala:

https://www.parts-express.com/Eminence-KAPPA-15C-15-Driver-4-Ohm-290-459?quantity=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=18127373971&gclid=CjwKCAjwge2iBhBBEiwAfXDBR8E3vpAxC_VZX0enlNgMaxVOuVcF5RZ1m-6vQ0Js-4qDuZaHf5pPYBoCsoIQAvD_BwE

Get some Deoxit and clean the pots and connectors on the Crown 150. It may need some other TLC as well like replacing electrolytic capacitors.

• Like 1

If the LS cabinets still have their stickers on the backs you can order new woofers from klipsch, and the price is quite reasonable. They would also be correct for your speakers.

You can add pics by dragging them into your reply box or click on 'Add Files' and browse to where you have pics. The pics can't be over 2 meg. If you take pics with your cell phone, they may be too large to post. On an android phone, you can edit the pis and crop it. If you save as a copy it will be much smaller as it re-compresses the image.

If you start by taking the pics with extra space around them, that will help when you crop.

• Like 4

Babadono, my son was playing some low bottom rap through an under powered intergrated amp I had temp hooked up. It was cranked all the way up. I’ve been a bass player in working bands since 1974 and I’ve heard that rumble of a blown 15” before. Let me say the tweeter and horn sounded fine and I sent crossovers to Klipsch and they came back fine so I’m assuming the horns are ok. I may find out I’m wrong in which case I’ll be crying for yalls help again. 

Babadono, I douched the pots and buttons as far as I could reach them with a contact cleaner called 321 Contact by Drummond. I don’t know if that’s the same as deoxit but it’s all I could find. And thanx so much for the info for replacement parts. I will be checking that out. Contractor says 6-9 weeks on garage/ man cave build, moneys in bank and I’ve apportioned enough for preamp, dvd- cd-sacd player, tv. Like I say I would love to reuse that crown preamp. But I’m looking at Tubes4hifi SP14 preamp. Nice simple analog design. Reasonable prices. 

Mr Stevens thank you for info. I will be checking the site out. I’ve got about 2-3 months to make preps and get parts before garage is hopefully complete. I’m no audiophile but while I have this wealth of knowledge before me let me explain please. 
I’ve retired from an industrial job as a mechanic. Working in loud plant environment and playing music weekends. Over years with loud guitarist, some nights I’d leave with ears ringing so I accept my low freq’s are shot and highs are dulled. My question in yalls opinion if I went with a tube preamp with the solid state Mc152 amp, how would that combo work? Should there be an audible difference? Tubed preamp and SS amp? I accept my hearings degraded but do y’all think I’d be able to hear a difference? Oh I’m running B&W 601 speakers till I get Klipsch repaired. Sorry to bother y’all. 

I have had good experience combining a tube pre amp with a transistor power amp. Of course, it depends on the individual case. But if the combo is well matched to each other, why not. The "tube sound" is often brought in by the pre amp. I have tried it, e.g. a Mcintosh C22CE with a Quad 306 power amp sounds quite good together. But there are also good solid state pre amps. If I were you, I would first fix the LaScala and listen to it with the amps you have. 

• Like 1

KT88, thanx for info. I’m just an old analog guy. My first bass amp was a Kustom tubed amp, its tubes had to glow bright before it sounded. When I finally got my first split state Acoustic bass amp I was delighted. Turn it on and it played. Instantly.I’ve been a SS guy ever since.  Every where now you see patch cords, power cords, speaker cables all professing to improve sound quality whereas when I was in it ,you went to Radio Shack and spooled off what you needed. Same for ground wires. Given my age and damaged hearing do you think upgrading chords will make an audible improvement?

1 hour ago, Kevin cornette said:

Should there be an audible difference? Tubed preamp and SS amp?

That can be a wonderful pairing, and the SP14 is a nice preamp. Some gear works better with specific other gear, you won't know until you try.

I've been using a simple tube pream/linestage for over 15 years (no longer made), and driven two different kinds of tube amps and more recently a modified Crown D-45 and a higher powered XLi800. They've all sounded great with the La Scalas I owned (now at my older sons), as well as my much smler Heresy IIs.

Our family/tv/rec room had been a 2 car garage, with 9.5 foot ceilings. The room sounds good with no special room treatments, but going overboard in that area would probably bring great rewards. I'm just not going to be spending a lot of money when I enjoy them as is. I tweak a little here and there but enjoy them just the same.

Sorry to be so long winded...

Babadono, I’ve not removed the bottom cover to inspect the speaker but I’ve heard similar sound when one of my Sunn 2x15

folded cabinet speakers went bad. I sent to Sound City in Baton Rouge to get reconed and they reconed but said voice coil is what the problem was. I wish I knew more to tell you. I’ve never been an equipment spec’s guy, I just got what sounded good to me that I could afford. I never imagined a day when a turntable could cost $50.000! 

Marvel, thanx so much for your insight and your opinion. Apparently we both think along same lines. I’m not impressing anyone just looking for a sound that meets my needs. With everything my friend left me records and cd’s it’s time to invest in a love and hobby I didn’t realize I missed so much. 
and if anyone’s been long winded it’s me. I’m new to this tech and forum so thank for replying. I need y’all advice.  

• Like 3