Scratchy feet on Khorns

mr-b

Hi

I'm decorating my front room and after moving the Khorns, the feet have really scratched my wooden floorboards. On inspection the feet look like metal studs with rather a rough surface.

I've tried some caster cups for the studs to rest in but the studs just seem to pop out of them whenever I move the speakers (the cups may be too deep), and Khorns are just a little bit too heavy to lift completely by myself!

Any suggestions for something to cover or replace the feet that will enable the Khorns to glide over my boards?

2023-05-24 11.43.39.jpg

Tx but the HD link doesn't work for me - possibly as  I'm in the UK.

"Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Furniture-Sliders-for-Carpet-8-per-pack-83036N12/203566381" on this server."

A google shows either flat hard or felt discs, for carpet or hard floors respectively, but no detailed description. So should the studs be removed somehow (unscrewed?) and the flat discs stuck on?

You can't remove the studs because then the glider feet will not have anything to keep them in place when moving the speakers around.

Since links don't work for you, how about at least some common item pictures.

These are the feet for hardwood floors. Get the size that most nearly matches your studs.

You can often find just the adhesive backed felt pads and apply them to your studs, if the stud shape is conducive to holding the felt. Otherwise you can try sticking adhesive felt pads directly to the bottom of the speaker but you may have to remove the studs to ensure felt contact with the floor.

The adhesive felt, in pads or other forms, should be available at most hardware stores.

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 20-29-41 Scotch 8-Pack 1-1_8 In-in White Plastic Chair Leg Glides in the Chair Leg Tips & Furniture Glides department at Lowes.com.png

On 5/31/2023 at 2:33 AM, Peter P. said:

You can't remove the studs because then the glider feet will not have anything to keep them in place when moving the speakers around.

You can, but new one needs to be large enough. For La Scalas I'm using 10cmx10cm (4 inch more or less) pads of firm felt with self adhesive pad. My floor is not perfectly flat so I'm using only 3 of them. For KHorn it should be  even more obvious as it's triangle shaped.

In my experience, self-adhesive felt pads of about the same size as the glides will adhere to the glides tentatively--they can work if the speakers aren't moved around. But the reason you want felt pads is so you can easily move the speakers around! With most Klipsch speakers you'll want to experiment with positioning in the room by trial and error to get them dialed in. This is not the case with Klipschorns that don't have covered backs, as you are limited to pushing them into the corners of the room. But even with Klipschorns you might want to slide them out to vacuum the floor, dust off the surfaces inside the tophat, experiment with different speaker cables, check the seal of the cabinet to the corner, etc.

The factory steel glides you pictured are made of shaped sheet metal with several sharp tangs protruding from the edge. The glides are hammered into the bottom of the cabinet. They can be removed with a small, sharp screwdriver forced under the glide around the edge to pry it off. Lay down the cabinet on the floor--use a thick pad on the floor to protect the cabinet and floor, and you may wish to remove the side grilles to avoid stressing them. You can save the factory glides in a ziplock bag and reinstall them at any time. With the glides off, you can use felt pads that have a larger surface area than the glides to get better adhesion.

Posts have been made on the forum about using rubber gripper pads on the bottom of Klipschorns rather that felt pads. The idea with these is to help position the Klipschorns securely into the corner rather than to make it easier to slide them around. This would be a different approach to take that would also protect your floors, like the felt pads.

• Like 1

Tx for the replies - I've tried out some felt pads stuck to the existing steel feet and they seem to be surviving a few short shuffles around.

I may end up removing the feet if I need more movement as I'm intending to build false backs at some point, so good to hear they can be removed with some prising and not too much gouging!

• Like 1