This BLEEPIN' OUTLET!!

Mighty Favog

So, we were using a 110v outlet at the kitchen counter. The appliance is a vaccum sealer for canning food. All is well for a few days.

Now, the sealer isn't working. In fact nothing works from that outlet anymore.

-Circuit breakers: check

-CGFI: working fine.

-Replaced socket with quality Leviton unit: check

Then I go to test it with a noid light. It shows there's current present. I use a polarity 3-light tester, all shows correct and current is present.

Never could find the correct breaker with the circuit tracer so I just shut off the whole house before swapping out the outlet.

Still at a loss......

It's one of those connections that is good enough to allow miniscule currents to indicate voltage but when you really load it with an appliance the connection (somewhere) cannot supply the proper current. Or it's on a three way switch. Or the breaker is fried but it cannot supply the proper current. Or you have a junction box in a damp crawl space with a corroded wire. Do you have aluminum wire feeds?

JJK

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

It's one of those connections that is good enough to allow miniscule currents to indicate voltage but when you really load it with an appliance the connection (somewhere) cannot supply the proper current. Or it's on a three way switch. Or the breaker is fried but it cannot supply the proper current. Or you have a junction box in a damp crawl space with a corroded wire. Do you have aluminum wire feeds?

JJK

This house has copper wiring. The outlet is non-switched. I'd change the breaker if I could tell which one it is. Need a 2nd person here 'cause I don't feel like running up the steps each time. The transmitter to my signal tracer has a faint flicker of the green LED instead of a bright green. That might be a clue.