Should I get a Mac or PC for my next computer?

Kain

I really LOVE the look of those PowerMac G4 computers. Plus, it seems Macs are more stable than PCs since they don't use Windows, LOL. 3.gif

Yeah, I know Macs are expensive but I still like them.

So, what's your impressions of Macs?

In our home business (my wife and I) we have used MAC for quite some time - especially for the graphics artistry works for my wife - and recently went to a PC for her main machine. Simply put the PC had significantly more primary computing options than the MAC and the graphics trade off has become minimal for her needs.

No rant against MAC, but a well configured and made PC was both less expensive and an admirable performer.

Kain, I would suggest PC. It has been my experiance in the past, that there was a lot more software written for PC. There are some really nice ones too. A buddy of mine just got a new Toshiba. Damn thing is nice. Even has Harman Kardon speakers in it. The finger pad is not just for mousing either. it has it's own lcd screen and has programmable finger touch shortcut keys... I seen it and was very envious. My IBM Thinkpad just didn't do much for me after that.

Oh it even had a very nice nVidia GForce graphics chip in it. I forget exactly which chip it was, but apparently it was the most powerful chip nVidia makes for laptops. So if your into gaming, you may want to go look at the toshibas.

Yes, the Mac's have looks all over Wintel machines, but I'd vote for PCs also, unless you have to exchange ALOT of graphics information with others in that industry. My daughter is a graphic artist, and she finds little difference in the abilities of other platform. However, there are some subtle compatibility issues using a PC that you may run into if you exchange lots of files with MACs.

Another consideration is cost of ownership. It seems that NOTHING in the Mac world is ever discounted, and the number of choices in utility software and hardware upgrades is limited.

DD

I've used Macs for quite some time and have been happy. They are stable and easy to use. My software ranges from web stuff, Office, Quicken, games and digital music and video. It is true, though, there is more software for PC. Most folks use about 10-15 main apps 95% of the time. So, the fact that one platform has only 5,000 titles available and the other 40,000 is not so important most of the time.

The new 17" PowerBook laptop looks pretty nice.

Mace

"Kain, I would suggest PC. It has been my experiance in the past, that there was a lot more software written for PC"

That was true befor Mac OS X, however since X is freebsd based you get a whole new realm of apps. This probably isnt an advantage for your typical user, but for power users its great. You get a ton of unix apps (which are free/open source) available with just a recompile. (Check out sourceforge.net) All in all MacOS X is a great, highly stable OS, and the G4 laptops are well designed and very very attractive.

-mkl

----------------

On 1/24/2003 7:12:17 PM mdeneen wrote:

Windows machines are a total hodge podge of illogical pieces tossed into a box. There is virtually no cohesion to it. The MAC is a SYSTEM.

----------------

This total hodge podge of illogical pieces tossed into a box is called open architecture, this, by the way is a good thing. It gives people choices.

well, it really depends what you're using it for. if I were just gonna be surfing the net, with not alot of gaming, I'd go Mac. but if you like games, you'll need a PC. Also, another thing to keep in mind is that mac's are more expensive to upgrade. but, for my next computer I would get a mac if they weren't so damn expensive.

Some consideration should be given to what everyone else in your circle is using.

Of course, what is your circle is difficult to say.

For example, some schools, though mostly high schools, are heavily into Mac. Also some small businesses. So it would make sense to go with the flow. If you have problems with applications, external hardware, or settings, there will be a supply of experts.

On the other hand, the vast majority of busineses and schools are PC based and run MS software, or software only available in the Windows world.

Once you get out in the job market, it will will be helpful if you're familiar with whatever the major employers are running in your field of interest.

Gil

same kind of concept with Linux VS Windows... There is a huge following with Linux simply because so many people don't like the whole Microsoft monopoly thing. Me personally? I like microsoft. I think they have been a huge positive infulence on the computing industry. And hey... I work for Intel so that may have a weeeeeee bit of an influence 2.gif. Not much though, I have always been a PC user.

To each his own though... Diversity right?. 1.gif

"There is a huge following with Linux simply because so many people don't like the whole Microsoft monopoly thing"

In my experience most people don't use Linux because they hate Microsoft, they use linux because they are experienced users who realize that Windows just isn't as capable. I'm sure there are a few linux users who just don't like microsoft, but the vast majority of us have a higher motivation for using linux, the power and flexibility of a *nix based system.

-mkl

Macs are more expensive. That seems to be what everyone thinks. I don't agree with that one. My two Mac G4 800's cost me $3000.00 6 months ago. At that time I was using 2 one year old G4 466's. I sold them on ebay for $2600.00. So my upgrade cost was $200.00 per machine. That was also approximately what it cost me one year earlier to upgrade from the G3 350's to the G4 466's. Let's see you do that with PC's.

By the way, neither of my machines has crashed in the last 6 months either.

Bob

This board is really something... the above verbiage is by far the kindest, gentlest Mac/PC debate I've ever witnessed...especially considering it involved an employee from Intel! I've used Macs exclusively for personal use since 1989 and have been active on the net (usenet) since that time and believe me, I've witnessed a lot of Mac/PC debates!

Of frustration at this point in time (as a Mac guy) is the sheer lack of horsepower in the current Mac offerings. I mean, my 266 G3 is 4.3 years old and the iBooks are still sporting G3's at only 800 MHz!! Jaguar is dog slow (compared with OS 9 on my WallStreet 266) as far as general usage is concerned. Jaguar makes my G4 feel like my trusty old IIsi! However, you'll still have to pry my cold, dead hands off of this Mac before I switch.

Mace