La Scala tweet no sound:debugging/testing

Mr. Lou

Is there a way to test to the tweeter to rule out whether it is bad?

And what are the components to check that could be effecting it if the tweeter is tested and confirmed to work?

I sold these to a guy and he is saying one of the tweeters isn’t working so I want to make it right and he’ll him fix it. Thanks.

Edited by Mr. Lou

The guy doesn't seem very tech savvy. I have a multimeter so I'll have to test it. What should it read impedance wise?

As to the tweeter working, I thought it was. It may not have been or was and when the guy transported it home something came loose or a component gave out when he fired the speakers up at his place. They hadn't been used in some years.

1 hour ago, Mr. Lou said:

The guy doesn't seem very tech savvy. I have a multimeter so I'll have to test it. What should it read impedance wise?

As to the tweeter working, I thought it was. It may not have been or was and when the guy transported it home something came loose or a component gave out when he fired the speakers up at his place. They hadn't been used in some years.

Always good to check and tighten all connections on the crossover. I brought home a pair of LS that developed a tweeter issue that was simply a loose connection. Good luck!

• Like 2

Yes what he said. Also. May be a good fit a paper roll to listen to both tweets. Sometimes hard to determine with that large midhorn close by. Since complaint is about one tweet, should be able to determine by disconnecting mid to listen. If not working would try the above. Hope you understand my rambling.

On 8/25/2023 at 6:49 PM, Mr. Lou said:

DCR for the tweeter should be 7.2 to 7.5 ohms.  If they are REALLY old and rated at 16 ohms, you might see 12 to 14 ohms.

If you can hear scratching while rubbing the leads with the meter, it is most likely good.  A 1.5V battery is good for this test, too, but be sure to rub, don't hold the leads against the battery terminals.  Tweeters don't like DC. 

• Like 1

I haven’t been to his place yet but thank you all for the methodological testing tips. I will report back.

So if I get an impedance reading below 7.2 and above 16 - or no reading at all - than the tweeter is toast, correct?

Edited by Mr. Lou