My new McLaren Forte IV

telemike

I purchased my Forte IVs from https://paducahhometheater.com/ and saved over $2,000 off list. Speakers arrived within a couple of days in perfect condition reflecting great customer service. I also purchased lambswool grills to complete the look I desired. If I was in the market for any heritage speaker I would look no farther than https://paducahhometheater.com/. The deal you got on those mclaren fortes is incredible. 👏 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, telemike said:

Picked these up from https://paducahhometheater.com/ at a great discount.  About $3500 to my door.   So far, the sound has impressed me. I do like the metal grill as that makes them cat proof.

PXL-20230912-162430539.jpg

PXL_20230912_162448492.jpg

PXL_20230912_165344628.jpg

PXL_20230912_162437701.jpg

PXL_20230912_162442636.jpg

Not that it really matters, because one would have to do something really stupid to have to exercise, but did you also get the 10-year warranty with the discounted pricing?

As good as the bass is with the Forte IVs the addition of the REL S812 fills in the lower registers the Forte IVs can’t reach. In addition the REL helps the Fortes mid bass sound even stronger. 

I have never heard any of my friends systems sound better or as good  as my setup.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

I have never noticed much difference after the first 10 minutes

Might You describe what changes evidenced themselves after all that time ??

I have broken in a new pair of H IV's and my beloved Forte IV's. The bass character changed dramatically. The midrange was the last thing to open up on both speakers at about 100 hours. I had to move my Forte's more than a foot further from the back wall once the woofers loosened up. The midrange changed the most on the Heresys. To be honest a touch more forward that I prefer but they still sounded wonderful. They didn't have enough bass for my medium sized room so I kept the Fortes. They are the best speaker I've ever owned by a good margin. Not the most expensive though. If you don't believe in break in, I'm not going to change your mind. But the sound change wasn't subtle.

4 hours ago, Bananas and Blow said:

I have broken in a new pair of H IV's and my beloved Forte IV's. The bass character changed dramatically. The midrange was the last thing to open up on both speakers at about 100 hours.  

klipsch capacitors also break-in at around 100 hours 

When they finally break in and you have them ~8-10 inches from the wall behind them, you might be surprised at the bass output. But if your room is on the large size and you have a steady diet of bass heavy material, you might still find you need the sub.

Edit

I just looked at your pics again. It's doubtful you'll want a sub once fully broken in.

As good as the Forte IVs are at generating punchy bass they still can’t play below 35 hz. In my mind a properly setup sub that easily digs down below 20 hz adds that bottom octave that takes the Forte IVs to another level. I can’t imagine any main speakers that couldn’t benefit from a well integrated subwoofer. In my room the REL S812 was a great addition to my Fortes and I wouldn’t want to live without it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, telemike said:

I'll hook up my old Infinity BU-2 sub tonight

klipsch are coming out with horn loaded subs , compatible  with the Forte  by mid 2024 .  

small 21 32 18 27hz

med 26 37 21  24hz

large 34 42 28. 18hz

xlarge 47 45 30 14-15 hz