Adire Audio New subs -- WILL ROCK THE INDUSTRY?

eddiejohnthethird

I came across something new cooking in adire Audio company:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=541

Some things were standing out:

A new Sadhara cylinder shaped sub that someone says,

We're talking about the longest throw, lowest distortion 12" driver on the market. Add to that huge amounts of port area and you've got one hellatious subwoofer!

And also, keep in mind, there's not a driver on the market that will touch what Adire has come up with lately. Not SVS, not VMPS, not anybody.

the new XBL motors put the Adire drivers in another league. When you compare the driver's ability to deliver linear throw and the amount of distortion you will see that nothing holds a candle to the XBL based drivers. This isn't hype... it is easy to measure and the independent testing will measurably prove the claims that Adire makes concerning their drivers. It isn't snake oil and subjective claims...just proven greater output at lower distortion. There were a lot of competitors in the Adire room at CES chewing their fingernails over the Tumult on display.

the Tumult is equal to 3 Tempests in CLEAN output

patent-pending cabinet design featuring the PVSTM venting system. This design results in more vent area than any comparably sized or priced subwoofer (the equivalent of a 16 cm diameter vent!). More vent area means more SPL, with lower noise and less distortion and compression.

The driver used in Sadhara has over 27mm of one way linear throw; this can be 2-3 times as much as the linear capability of drivers in competing subwoofers!

I am seeing people drool already over this. The_Ear, maybe you can get us going by testing out against your best :) :)

Just some clarification for some possible confusion from these quotes. The Sadhara is a modified version of the 12" Brahma. It will have about the same displacement ability as the Tempest, but at lower distortion levels and with less compression when at it's limits. It is a finished tube within a tube style passive sub that is 18" in diameter and will sell for $995. The reason for the tube within a tube is to allow a slot port (by the way, a 6" port is 15.2cm). The top has no holes, all sound exits the bottom.

The Tumult is a raw stand alone 15" driver with 7mm more Xmax than the Brahma and twice the Vd of a Tempest. It has a fairly low sensitivity and is designed for use in smaller sealed boxes with a Linkwitz Transform circuit and lots of power (PR enclosure is possible also and if you don't wish to use its full potential porting is possible too). To achieve the same distortion levels at higher output levels in similar allignments would require 3 Tempests.

Well I see Adire is challenging SVS to a SPL death match. 1.gif I am sure the SVS BP4 will take on any subwoofer under 5K and win the SPL match(provided you use a powerful amp).

Still for drivers Adire's best have no match,the Tumult is a beauty and the most potent woofer on the planet.I am going to order two before this summer vacation.

My most powerful sub do not match the SPL monsters from Adire or SVS below 30Hz,take the HGS18 is its ultra low distortion and sub bass quality that makes it so special,it will play loud but not at ear tearing SPL below 30Hz.

The only sub I have that has below 30Hz power is the SW12,its strong even at 20Hz and does a good job at 16.

I will get my Tumult based subs and SVS best this year.I dont need to compete against either.When uyou can have it all why choose? 1.gif

The B4 is $2499 with a wide range of finish options, and we have had a lot of interest from folks wanting to finish and stain the enclosure themselves...so we sell it complete(but you finish sand and stain)for $1999. The $3999 package being referred to includes a Crown K1 and A rane pe17 EQ.(and 2 better cables and your choice of 3,5,8,12m better cable wiring). You can match the $1999 version to a $399 QSC rmx1450 and expect about the same performance that the reviews on HTF indicated...not bad for $2398 :)

One note on the port issue...a standard 4" flared port has flaring out to about 6" on each end...and it will flow approximately the same amount of air as a 6" non-flared port.(JBL did a fantastic paper on this a while back). The B4 has 4-4" flared ports...or >113 sq-in of effective port area when the flaring is factored in.

TV

For under $1k I'll offer up my big *** dual Tempest sonosub. If you're handy with the tools and have room for it you won't be dissappointed. How about 127dB at 31.5Hz. At 16Hz it was around 114-117dB, don't have the sheet in front of me.

I plan on building a dedicated HT in the next home and will either go with 4 Tempests in an IB or perhaps 2-4 Tumults if they'll work in an IB. Will probably need steel I-beam framing 9.gif

Mlstrass(Mike) is right....After seeing his sub I did my homework on Adire Audio and I built a single Tempest 15" in the 214L Adire Alignment. The 15" Tempest cost me $165 delivered and the 250W plate amp was $119, $20 for ports, $6 for polyfill and about $40 in veneered 3/4" MDF, plus misc. T-nuts and fasteners for $10.

Consensus agreement is Adire Audio's Tempest is the bang for the buck king of clean, low, high SPL woofers.

I am amazed at what this beast can do......I can't imagine Dual Tempests in a single large enclosure like Mike's.

My cabinet turned out beautiful and I even made the Adire audio webpage as building one the best DIY Tempest subs.

The new Tumult is in another league/pricepoint totally. Get your 1000W amp and earplugs ready because the Tumult is a gut rumbler.

Look out SVS there's a new king of the hill!!!

Adire says on the site that a Tumult is 2-TIMES the output of a Tempest woofer!!!!!

Tumult is simply the most displacement you can buy, period. Capable of a LINEAR 34mm of one-way excursion, this 15" driver features a low Fs, mid-value Qes, and small Vas. With input from hundreds of dedicated DIYers about their desire for applications for this beast, Tumult excels in IB, sealed box, Linkwitz Transform, and other high-quality installations. With over 5 LITERS of linear displacement, one does not need to turn to vented or PR systems to get high SPL bass (of course, if you choose to use a vented or PR based design, you simply get astounding levels of output).

Best of all, Tumult uses our patent-pending XBL2 motor technology. This new motor design yields the flattest BL curve of any motor design. And a flatter BL curve means lower distortion, and reduced dynamics compression. Truer to the signal - better sound. And contrary to what some claim, it doesn't sacrifice ANY BL or motor strength; in fact, the Tumult has more motor strength than just about any home audio driver available today.

Hey Dustin:

How's about a recommendation for a kick-*** no-holds barred-Tumult enclosure and an amp to match?

I think this will be my next project after Acoustic Visions finishes my AV-15 sub..

I had talked with Adire a month or so ago & they said they "were working" on a Tumult enclosure but didn't have one yet.

Thanks,

J Stanton

----------------

On 1/31/2003 3:59:41 PM jstanton8 wrote:

I was just advised that the Tumult needs about 2000 watts of amplification. What on earth would one use for an amp for this sort of power requirement? Lord Jesus help me...
----------------

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=24074&TempID=11&Method=2&CategoryID=0&BrandID=0&PriceRangeID=0&PageNum=0&DepartmentID=5&DepartmentKeeper=&pagesize=15&SortMethod=0&Word1=crest+power+amp&Contains=%22%2Acr%2A%22+AND+%22%2Apower%2A%22+AND+%22%2Aamp%2A%22&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=nonetodaythanks

This baby gives some decent power when run Bridged Mono.

Peace, Josh