Using line output transformers?

Maximus89

I've added a 2:1 CD Line Transformer to my multibit pcm63p-k dac output and it did wonders for giving me a richer, more musical sound. Dare i say it's analog tape like, or at the very least it is mitigating the damage the opamps do to the natural sound reproduction and removing HF digital noise. Adding an isolation transformer for clean power took the same effect another notch up. Using the dac direct to a serviced and modified McIntosh MC250. Fidelizer with JRiver 64bit volume control with lossless music files.

The thing is, the natural sound character of my dac is still there with it's recessed midrange. Used to be fatiguing with exaggerated HF and LF. I don't mind the recessed mid now that the HF is clean, but wouldn't mind the mids to come forward just a touch more.

The Line transformer can be connected in reverse for 1:2 step up. I did so, and i was impressed that the midrange came alive and came forward, while retaining the level of the HF and LF so i feel its more balanced. Or is that perception only? The maker of the transformer said connecting it in reverse would just make it louder and unnatural. It's definitely louder and i have to adjust volume accordingly.

So my question: Is the transformer stepping up only making the exact same signal louder? Why am i perceiving it as more balanced sounding? Wouldn't louder still have the recessed midrange and just make the HF and LF too loud and give me fatigue? It isn't. Could it be giving the dac more voltage for the midrange to come forward?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Your ear always perceives louder as more better Fletcher+ Munson

Yeah i've heard about that effect so that's why i posed the question. Yet, when it's 2:1 and the recessed mid range, if i turn it up too loud, it's just too loud but the recessed mids are still recessed. Louder doesn't give me the effect of balanced frequency. I suppose it just comes down to what i perceive as better for me and as is, that would be louder.

Maybe i'll get an even different effect if i try the 8ohm tap on the mac with my 6ohm speakers and change the transformer 2:1 or 1:2

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maximus89 said:

I've added a 2:1 CD Line Transformer to my multibit pcm63p-k dac output and it did wonders for giving me a richer, more musical sound. Dare i say it's analog tape like, or at the very least it is mitigating the damage the opamps do to the natural sound reproduction and removing HF digital noise. Adding an isolation transformer for clean power took the same effect another notch up. Using the dac direct to a serviced and modified McIntosh MC250. Fidelizer with JRiver 64bit volume control with lossless music files.

The thing is, the natural sound character of my dac is still there with it's recessed midrange. Used to be fatiguing with exaggerated HF and LF. I don't mind the recessed mid now that the HF is clean, but wouldn't mind the mids to come forward just a touch more.

The Line transformer can be connected in reverse for 1:2 step up. I did so, and i was impressed that the midrange came alive and came forward, while retaining the level of the HF and LF so i feel its more balanced. Or is that perception only? The maker of the transformer said connecting it in reverse would just make it louder and unnatural. It's definitely louder and i have to adjust volume accordingly.

So my question: Is the transformer stepping up only making the exact same signal louder? Why am i perceiving it as more balanced sounding? Wouldn't louder still have the recessed midrange and just make the HF and LF too loud and give me fatigue? It isn't. Could it be giving the dac more voltage for the midrange to come forward?

Pad down the HF driver

I always have the impression that the ears like it when you have transformers in the signal path somewhere in the chain. E.g. with tube amps the output transformers, or a step up for MC to MM inputs or e.g. an autoformer in the crossover of the old LaScalas. Why should a transformer in the signal not make the sound more pleasant?  Another plus is that you can go with transformers in the signal path very problem-free from XLR to RCA and vice versa.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KT88 said:

I always have the impression that the ears like it when you have transformers in the signal path somewhere in the chain. E.g. with tube amps the output transformers, or a step up for MC to MM inputs or e.g. an autoformer in the crossover of the old LaScalas. Why should a transformer in the signal not make the sound more pleasant?  Another plus is that you can go with transformers in the signal path very problem-free from XLR to RCA and vice versa.

That's how i started down this road. Wanted a balanced to single ended transformer to connect to the mc250, ended up sticking with single ended with the transformer in between and it makes me feel i can downsize my dac to a 1k or under and i'd enjoy the sound due to the transformer anyway

• Like 1