What treatment for my 1990 Heresy cabinets?

DLStryker

On 10/30/2023 at 1:38 PM, pnort said:

Paul Klipsch recommended linseed oil for my walnut Khorns. Nowadays I usually just use lemon oil furniture oil.

you can use TRADE SECRET sold on Amazon ( dark bottle )  it's solely natural oils , no VOC's , or chemicals  , it will bring out the grain in the walnut 

On 11/14/2023 at 7:33 PM, Bananas and Blow said:

Any updates on your experiment? I'm curious because I may be looking to restore a set of old Heresy soon.

Unfortunately, her is a pic of my progress.   I have received all of the treatment products..... just been too busy at work.  I'm hoping to get some free time the middle of next month.

Pic6.jpeg

FWIW, I rub a walnut (the nut meat itself) over scratches and they disappear fully. If you want to smooth it out, the 0000 steel wool works really well, go WITH the grain and use a light hand.  

Any of those finishes are good, not sure if anyone else uses it but Odie's oil is good stuff as well and smells great. 

Excess Rejuvenating oil was wiped free after 10 minutes.   Box to the left.

Tung oil was added to box to the right.  Liberal amount was applied to assure a wet film was standing.  The tung oil is MUCH thicker than the rejuvenating oil.  Instructions say to let the tung oil stand for 15 mintes. 

Pic1.jpeg

Here is the final product.  Restor-A-Finish in top box.  Trade Secret in 2nd box down from the top.  Tung Oil in 3rd box down from the top and Rejuvenating Oil in the bottom box.  Trade Secret definitely darkened up the Oak.  I really cannot see much of a difference between the other three.  I shined a bright light on them all and still did notice much of a difference.  I am going to try to attach a video of me moving the bright light down the side of the box focusing for a second on each of the finishes.  The video is probably too large to attach.

By the way, the Feed-N-Wax is the second stage of the Restor-A-Finish.  I will post a pic after the 20 minute wait time on that product that goes on after the Restor-A-Finish.

Pic1.jpeg

Pic2.jpeg

Well, after applying the Feed-N-Wax, over the top of the Restor-A-Finish, that treatment looked the best.  Not sure if you will be able to see it in the pic.  The treatment left a nice sheen.  It does not look wet.  Does not look like cleat coat.  It does not look like the wood has a oil or treatment on it...... just looks like the wood has been hand rubbed and is very smooth.

So, I am not sure if Restor-A-Finish with Feed-N-Wax is the perfect combo..... or if the Feed-N-Was is the sole contributor.  Right now, I have a coat of Feed-N-Wax on all of the finishes.  I will hand buff that off in about 20 minutes and the I'll share the results. 

Top box below is the Restor-A-Finish with Feed-N-Wax over the top.

Pic1.jpeg

• Like 1

Well... the Feed-N-Wax made all four finished look better!!  And it is on no way a wet looking shine or an oil looking finish.  Just a very subtle sheen to it.  Looks like the wood has been sanded ultra sooth.  Like the wood itself has been buffed.

I am going to look at all four finishes tomorrow and see if I an pick a favorite.  Other than the Trade Secret, the other three finishes look VERY similar.

Watco Tung oil is very expensive.  Unless it somehow has a longer life between finishing/refinishing, I would not suggest that finish because of cost.

Pic2.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

Do not get steel wool anywhere near your horns/compression drivers.

Small pieces can get pulled in via the magnet and lodge against the diaphragm.

Various scotch brite finishing pads work great for application and buffing.

Good advice!  I had no thought if that.