Dale Walker's Preamp: Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Construction Pics

mobile homeless

Suddenly, they are 300B? Was that a mild Freudian slip? Heh... I have some shots of those amps I'll post this eve. They are very dramatic birds-eye maple. And they are LARGE beasts! These things are not for the faint of heart. NO Wright Sound Monoblocks here. Three Wright Sound 3.5 could fit on the top plate of one of these! Then again, the Wright Sound 2A3 Monos are diminutive little amps (they just sound big).

Stay tuned. I throw some stuff up. Know you're excited.

kh

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are 300b right now, jeff is going to change them..I went with 2A3 after all. both you and jean francois seemed so sure that it will do the trick with my k-horns I could not refuse. I may have to plan to spring for a preamp around june-ish...lol! thanks for the photos, I have to have something to keep me company until the amps arrive...tony

Ummm... he doesnt post here, remember? Indeed. If you read the post above, it says he is trying this design with and without the bypass caps and doing listening tests. They are removable which is a good thing. I personally have a Solen Metal Can bypassing the 6000uF of electrolytics in my Cary PS and really like the result. You might be talking about the little Black Gates. He made it sound like he was going to be trying them with and without as I mentioned above.

kh

That is by far the nicest work I have ever seen so far. I still can't believe the deal he is giving on it !! Such detail ! Now all he needs is to either add a phono stage to that preamp or put together a seperate phono stage and I'll have to start pinching penny's.

Craig

Erik, take a look at the schematics he sent you (V52/Horus etc). I believe I have a few here too. I dont see too many bypass caps (Perhaps one on the output tube). I remember him talking to me about not liking bypass caps on the input driver of a tube amp.

My reference to the READING was to the POST I made just a few above yours. It's in the TEXT above the pic of the REAR of the preamp. It stated he is trying WITH and without the bypass caps.

kh

Thanks for the comments Craig! He said some nice things about the work you were doing on those Dynaco too. I dont know if he passed that along to you. You both have done excellent jobs.

As for a phono stage, I have asked him several times.... He says it's a real pain to do a REALLY good one... who knows.

Tonight, he is taking the Pantheon 6SN7 over to a guy I sold my old Cary 6SL7/6SN7 preamp to and giving it a go against it with Lowthers and 300B.

kh

Tony, as promised, here are some shots of your new monoblocks from Jean-Francois. As stated, these are BEASTS loaded with tweaks galore. They may have changed since these pics were taken so dont hold me to the internals at this stage!

sal_post.jpg

To see the other shots, click below. I recommend cable connection or patience:

Jean-francois' 2A3/300B Monoblocks

kh

It looks absolutely beautiful!!!...but (and a big but), how does it sound??? There are many boastful claims in these postings. Who actually has heard this pre-amp???

What would Paul W. Klipsch say? Would he break out his yellow & black lapel pin and say, "Ho Hum, Another Audio Breakthrough" ?

Playing the Devil's Advocate,

Pete11.gif

jeff it taking out the attentuators (I will be using a preamp with these) and we need to fill the space, instead of just a logo "JL" or a block of contrasting wood I thought it would be cool to install a cat eye tube (just like I had seen on some dennis had creation, you were right) be he doesn't like the idea...oh well, maybe you can put in a good word for the cat's eye idea...they only cost $5-25 a piece. tony

The monoblocks are/were his personal amps. He only sold them to finance his next project -- which is to build the Pantheon amp. Tony got a hell of a deal, and I'm still tearing the feathers out of my pillows for not muscling my way into them. Buy hey, I AM a gentleman, and of course -- I'm flat broke at the moment.

These amps had it all, and if I had to ballpark a figure -- I'd say they could be built again for a mere $3500. What do you think Kelly?

As far as the preamp goes -- get real. This guy obviously knows what he's doing, and his attention to detail goes a LONG way to showing how much thought, time, and effort has gone into the design. The underside of his preamps makes my AE-3 DJH look like a complete clusterphuck.