RIP My RSW-15 :'(

The History Kid

I picked it up second hand from a seller I think either my second or third year of my job - so about 6 years ago.  It sadly went through one-too-many power outages.  Despite being on a surge protector it no longer receives power.  Actually, it's a bit of a scratcher.  It sometimes won't power at all, but other times the green light will come on dimly.  

Before I chalk this up as a need to go to the RP-1600SW (which looks mighty good on sale) and part out the 15, does anyone know of a simple troubleshoot?  I have no place around me to service this, and I'm not sure I'd be good troubleshooting innards myself.

Edwards Electronics on Ebay...send them the guts..they'll fix it. I checked with them a few months back(anticipating mine will need someday) because I no longer saw them soliciting business for this type of sub. They said yes they will still work on them. You could go the external amp route as well. I can email you the service manual if you want. I have to believe it is the power supply.

• Like 2

I wouldn't say that I can't live without it.  My thing is mostly tied to having the space torn up - I guess it's a sorta OCD thing.  I'll have to reach out and see what repair costs would be.  Right now, it looks like the RP-1600SW is running $1,169 on sale - which really isn't bad, but the problem is the footprint is so much bigger - that might be what ultimately has me spending more than what I normally would on a repair versus replacement.

I think part of me is worried about performing work on a 23-year-old plate amp in a subwoofer - and how dependable it'd be beyond.  Kinda like a car.  Is this the start of an ongoing series of repairs that I'd avoid just by getting a new sub, or is it something that's worth converting into something else?  Questions you weigh and the whatnot.

Is there a thread on converting these to passive, speaking of which?

Based on everything I'm reading it doesn't seem quite as simple as sealing the port, installing a terminal, and adding an amp.  Seems like it may be a bit more involved.  So it looks like my best two options are to repair or replace.

15 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Based on everything I'm reading it doesn't seem quite as simple as sealing the port, installing a terminal, and adding an amp.  Seems like it may be a bit more involved.  So it looks like my best two options are to repair or replace.

Turning the sub into a passive is easy all you need to do is install a set of binding posts and disconnect the amp from the woofer then obviously do not plug the sub amp into an outlet. As far as replacing the sub with a new model if you look at the published specs the 10" version is the same as the RSW-15 so you wouldn't necessarily have to get the huge 16" as a replacement you might consider the 10 or 12 if space is a concern  

Sounds like I'm going to use a substitute plate amp for the time being, while getting the original repaired.  Edwards Electronics seems to be the most reputable I found, but they aren't accepting repairs right now.  So I'll hold onto the damaged unit until repairs can be made.  I just can't bring myself to part with the RSW-15.

An update on this, my dealer mistakenly thought he could still source an amp.  Edwards Electronics hasn't gotten back to me yet.  I think my COA is to see if I can work with the dealer to get an RP-1600SW at a good price again, then wait for repair on the 15 - once it's repaired, I'll either keep the 1600SW in this system and put the 15 in place of a KSW-15 I have on another system, or put it back where it was and put the 1600 there.  Either way, I still can't part with this 15, it's so pretty and sounded amazing, it'd be a shame to part with it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, an update on this - and I'm seeking continued input from the folks smarter than I.

When I'm able to get the unit powered on - there *is* a signal, it's just incredibly low quality, over muddied, and seems to require extra gain off the side volume dial.  Does this still seem like an issue on the board, or could it also be a driver issue?

EDIT - IT LIVES!  By god, it appears that the issue is actually my Parasound Pre Amp.  The Subwoofer 1 Output is bad and fried.  Switching to Subwoofer 2 resulted in it springing to life again as it was. (My wallet and I are both very happy.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, babadono said:

@The History Kid just saw this. Good deal on the RSW-15 but what the heck on the Parasound? Is just the output jack fried? Or do you see circuitry arond it burnt or what?

It's convenient you bring this up.  Not sure, but the sub is back to being unresponsive after another outage.  I'm not even getting feedback this time off the cable, so I'm back to waiting for options for repair or to see if I can get a replacement plate amp used.  I'm wondering if that was all coincidental and the issue was still the sub.

I'm trying to weigh the options between repair and replace - if I replace it's unlikely I will go the Klipsch route since I can't fit the 16 in the space, and I'd like to go with a 15 in some form.  But I'm also trying to weigh the value with it.

1 hour ago, The History Kid said:

I'm trying to weigh the options between repair and replace - if I replace it's unlikely I will go the Klipsch route since I can't fit the 16 in the space, and I'd like to go with a 15 in some form.  But I'm also trying to weigh the value with it.

Now's your chance get a B stock 14 for $900 specs say it should smash the RSW this seller offers 30 day return policy try it out kick the tires if it doesn't impress send it back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374731298737?epid=5060831971&hash=item573fb9d7b1:g:Vl0AAOSwC~5kcPY2&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4IXdJBW4vbwSM3D%2Bw4Hhq69mGYDXhGDJcyXu5gf5ljg78mbYxBroU2vXGS5FY9q06plILv9VzYIHDMHdecqHh8eKnFNgXerY%2BgQwy1%2FelO66lUpZ5tAmO4Lc5xKmkM1HsRCfY5plU0SfxAcG3jxCFeIlhTQ2iBbWJ2%2FX%2BfLpyoAsSQiiuvwa9GJw1fgNf%2FKimj1pjnyl%2FDnikmNMi%2BqdWN%2FDx%2FW5CdCBb8bauOCEBw9PdXjA0os7WOlgs1BxFa18ZpD77HDk5tBlfsSuPQxC%2FF%2BHGf8LXRxah5wRoXHTKuOw|tkp%3ABk9SR6app4SyYw

• Like 1

I'm scratching my head here.  After about an hour it's responding again?

Does this sound like a short?  I'm just...stumped.  What could possibly cause something like this?  I sat here and even did the thumb-test on the lead - nothing.  Then 45 minutes later the sub suddenly has signal when I do the same test?  It's not in auto mode - at least not that I can tell.  Is my sub haunted?

@OO1 - noted that.  The most reviews I've seen has been for Edwards Electronics, so if I do repairs, it'll probably be there.