Klipschorn AK-5 upgrade

TonyTrex57

58 minutes ago, TonyTrex57 said:

I hadn't considered it.  Does it help?

enclosed backs on khorns allow the freedom to move the khorns out of the corners of the walls  , for a toe in  , you still need corners ,  but the speakers no longer have to be firmly in the corners at a fixed 45 degrees , but rather in closer proximity of a corner . 

My corners are fine. I really don't need to move them.  I thought that my tweeters and mid range sounded a little muttled.  So.. I contacted Klipsch and bought these upgrade kits....Remember, mine were built in 1980, woofers/bass drivers were replaced in 1997...so original tweeters and mid range...they still rock as my carver amp seems to still like rock...like I first said, I thought they were sounding muddled...maybe not...however, I have 2 upgrade kits to make my Klipschorns from 1980 meet the standards of what Klipsch says is AK-5 standards till 2001.  So.....anybody done this?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, TonyTrex57 said:

My corners are fine. I really don't need to move them.  I thought that my tweeters and mid range sounded a little muttled.  So.. I contacted Klipsch and bought these upgrade kits....Remember, mine were built in 1980, woofers/bass drivers were replaced in 1997...so original tweeters and mid range...they still rock as my carver amp seems to still like rock...like I first said, I thought they were sounding muddled...maybe not...however, I have 2 upgrade kits to make my Klipschorns from 1980 meet the standards of what Klipsch says is AK-5 standards till 2001.  So.....anybody done this?

I think @Deang is aware of some. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2023 at 6:36 PM, TonyTrex57 said:

I have 2 upgrade kits to make my Klipschorns from 1980 meet the standards of what Klipsch says is AK-5 standards till 2001.  So.....anybody done this?

If I had the kits on hand, I would certainly hook them up to my 1982 Klipschorns. Have you tried yours?

20 hours ago, TonyTrex57 said:

I have not yet installed the kits.  I'm actually waiting for a carver amp so I can do both....new amp, new speaker upgrades. Hey, moderator dude!  How can I communicate with this person? 

Tony

Not a moderator, but a dude, I think you need one more post to activate private messages. 

• Like 1

@TonyTrex57 , If you type the @ symbol, followed immediately by the first few letters of the forum member's moniker, a drop box of names will appear. When you click the selection, it will set highlighted. Then when you Submit Reply, an alert will be sent to the recipient's notification box.

About your crossovers, posting your questions on the open forum will get you more opinions and the answers you receive can be seen by everyone.

When you are ready to install your new crossovers, have all the extra wires, connectors and tools lined up. Also a good idea to take plenty of pictures of the original installation for reference, and maybe share (easily downsized before attaching) pictures of the new parts, too.

On 12/1/2023 at 8:40 PM, TonyTrex57 said:

Anybody out there done this?  I already have 2 upgrade kits for mine.  By the way, mine were built in 1980.  Any help would be appreciated!

Hello Tony and welcome to the forum!

I have done several of these up-grades.  Klipsch provides a detailed instruction sheet to install the up-grade kit as well.  I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.  My web address is jemperformanceaudio.com which lists all of my contact information.