USB-C to SPDIF keeping it digital

The Dude

I am looking to take my audio out from my phone via USB-C  to either  SPDIF/TOSLINK or Coax that will be connected to my Helix DSP in my car system.  I want to keep it at as digital as possible, so would something like this work? 

Douk Audio U2 XMOS XU208 Digital Interface, USB to TOSLINK Coaxial/Optical Audio Adapter, for DAC/Preamp/Amplifier, Support PCM & DSD64 (Upgrade Version) https://a.co/d/fXxRxQn

Some recommend a DAC Like the Topping D10, but I don't understand why you'd want to go digital to analog, then back to digital, not to mention that's a bulky device to have in the car. 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Some recommend a DAC Like the Topping D10, but I don't understand why you'd want to go digital to analog, then back to digital, not to mention that's a bulky device to have in the car. 

The topping d10 uniquely allows you to use the coax spdif output as a digital passthrough, that's why.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schu said:

don't most newer model cars have hdmi inputs?

that would be a simple usb-c to hdmi connector, like you would use for a wall wart.

I've used 'boxes' like you showed above for somethings... they work reasonably well.

Its a 2014, even my 2021 doesn't have HDMI.  Guess I am behind the times. 

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

I am looking to take my audio out from my phone via USB-C  to either  SPDIF/TOSLINK or Coax that will be connected to my Helix DSP in my car system.  I want to keep it at as digital as possible, so would something like this work? 

Douk Audio U2 XMOS XU208 Digital Interface, USB to TOSLINK Coaxial/Optical Audio Adapter, for DAC/Preamp/Amplifier, Support PCM & DSD64 (Upgrade Version) https://a.co/d/fXxRxQn

I've been using an earlier version of this (USB2 instead of USB-C) for several years. It has been 100% reliable. I'm not sure that there are XMOS drivers available for Android or iPhone, though -- I recall having to search a bit for Windows drivers.

On 12/21/2023 at 2:02 PM, Edgar said:

I've been using an earlier version of this (USB2 instead of USB-C) for several years. It has been 100% reliable. I'm not sure that there are XMOS drivers available for Android or iPhone, though -- I recall having to search a bit for Windows drivers.

Thanks for the feedback