Display Case for Bible

Coytee

Looking for thoughts and opinions. @wayneair

My father is 94.  He holds a family bible that is likely well over 100 years old.  It is roughly 10" thick when closed and (guessing but let's call it) 12x14 tall/wide.  I have a memory that when I was a kid I looked into this and it had some papers....  I put them back but they were death notices of either family members or "someone".  

This will be inherited by my sister.  My father has supposedly had it respined or something done to refurbish it but that was likely 20 years ago.

Back story:  Couple years ago, I had idea pop into my head about making a box for my nieces.  (one my wife's niece and two mine)

Asked Wife's niece if she'd like a box made out of wood (yes)....what kind of wood?  PURPLE.  WHAT????   So I got some Purple Heartwood and made this.

When the box was finished, there was a brass chain to hold top back that's not in pictures....but you get idea.  Made two more for my nieces but made theirs out of Zebrawood as it struck me as 'earthy' and they have horses.  Seemed to fit.

4.jpg.b4f6ffa2861b07133e0dad6589f347a3.jpg

2.jpg.7ff8d83f5e357e61ffa10ef8a754ccc8.jpg

3.jpg.a3a9a6abb3423937d4e326a2740078b8.jpg

Enter Sister.

I'd like to do something similar.  Was thinking of Walnut or maybe Olive Wood.....other??

Idea is make base that Bible can sit on.  4-sides, dovetailed corners and a top with a piece of glass somehow inset into it so you can see the Bible when it's under cover.  Think of this as a cake plate.  Top on, all enclosed, top off, there's the prize.

Following is an artists conception.

bOX.jpg.4e262429f4c56e94d1276b60a786f1c4.jpg

Upper portion would be the cover, glass on top.  On the sides, some kind of brass hardware to lock together.  Midway down side, a bit of a route out to allow someone to put fingers underneith lip to grab & carry.  

How to inset the glass so it can be replaced in "X" years if/when someone breaks it?  I'm trying to think ahead for what might happen.  

That's about where I am.  I keep wondering.....  Walnut?  Olive Wood?  Maybe Maple?  mix/match?  What woods are complimentary to each other?   This would end up being displayed as she'd display the bible alone....  I'm trying to help protect it.  

How would one "route out" the 'handle" in the bottom?

Someone suggested instead of a raised center, make box slightly larger and cut a groove (dado?  Rabbit?) so the top would be fitting inside a full channel rather than only being buttressed by the middle section.

Open to thoughts.  Probably won't touch this until warmer weather.  Besides, Bible is still in Beaufort, SC and I'd need it to make sure measurements work for it.

I'm not a craftsman, so I have only input on the wood. Olive wood seems to be the wood that is commonly used for products coming out of Jerusalem. Given the region, I think it would be most appropriate to use olive wood. On an aside, I love the idea of making this a display Bible as a fan of the Bible in general, but also a fan of really old Bibles. 

• Like 1

Richard, this is a wonderful project. Is this going to be large enough to have the Bible open, i.e., where specific facing pages are visible, or closed, where you only see the  over/outside? Either way, the glass needs to be able to block UV light, to prevent degradation. Most glass will block UV B & C, but you need to also block UV A.

You will also need to be careful with the finish, as many aren't suitable, as they will out gas for a long time.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Oh man,  I feel bad,  I’m sorry I didn’t reply after you asked for my thoughts,  I thought I would get an email, or I just didn’t see it.  You’re probably done by now.  For what it’s worth, to be able to easily pick it up, what I do for boards is either put a small foot under each corner and use small washers to level it if need be, or route out an inverse half-round on the edge in the center of the short sides of the base rectangle.