45 SET.. Do I need a preamp

Flevoman

29 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Yep, was a Peach and had been to Mark for some updates (new front, gains...)

I actually now remember you bringing this up in the distant past, it still makes me scratch my head LOL!! But hey as long as you're happy.

As a side note the situation you describe where you found this is flawed in some way. I'm not sure how much power the amp had but just about any CD player playing full blast into an amplifier with 1 Volt to full power should have been clipping to an extreme amount, which should have sounded absolutely horrible! So again my head is itching... this make zero sense. 

Been years but if I were to hazard to guess, I plumbed the CD player into the active crossover (DX-38)  but that is if I had the Jubilee's at the time.  If it was Khorns, then it would have been into the amp but would have been less sensitive.  If prior to Jubilee's, it would have been 15'ish years ago....  

Irrespective of that clear as mud memory, it DID sound distinctly nicer with the CD player bypassing the preamp.  Hard to put a finger on what the difference was.....  so I'd just say it sounded more 'lush' (I hate descriptions like that!!!)

One of the CD players had a variable output, that might have also been in the loop.

shrugs shoulders

3 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Been years but if I were to hazard to guess, I plumbed the CD player into the active crossover (DX-38)  but that is if I had the Jubilee's at the time.  If it was Khorns, then it would have been into the amp but would have been less sensitive.  If prior to Jubilee's, it would have been 15'ish years ago....  

Irrespective of that clear as mud memory, it DID sound distinctly nicer with the CD player bypassing the preamp.  Hard to put a finger on what the difference was.....  so I'd just say it sounded more 'lush' (I hate descriptions like that!!!)

One of the CD players had a variable output, that might have also been in the loop.

shrugs shoulders

Yea it's been too long to hash it out now....my memory sucks these days too!! 

On 1/16/2024 at 1:52 PM, NOSValves said:

The node should at the minimum be turned up half way (all the way up would most likely be best).. set it so that you get from 10:00 to 2:00 usage of the Marantz's main volume control for your normal listening levels. Chances are very good you're better off using the Marantz volume control for everyday adjustments over the Node operating in the digital domain.  

I did respond to Shakey in a DM because I felt like I was hijacking the thread, but I think you are correct. I set the Node to Fixed Volume (full output level) and have been using the Marantz volume control and I do think it sounds better. The only issue is the lack of a remote, so I have to drag my old man butt out of the recliner every time I need to adjust the volume, but I just tell myself it is exercise. Of course, now I'm looking for a motorized volume control unit I can include in the preamp/control center I think I want to build.