Need help on AK6 K-Horn enclosure back board dimensions

Hi all,

I currently own ‘82 KHorn and would like to build an enclosure just like latest AK6

I need the dimension of the back board width. My existing back board is 9 inches wide.

If you own a pair, could you send a minute measure the width of the back board

I see the Volti work but no dimension listed.

Thanks in advance

Thuan

• Like 1

Yes, I saw Volti process. Want to start out with bass bin and go from there.

I might skip the remake top hat part since looking at them from front will not see the size “mismatch”.

Can be reversible if I need to resale with original design

Thanks

14 hours ago, Thuan98 said:

Hi all,

I currently own ‘82 KHorn and would like to build an enclosure just like latest AK6

I need the dimension of the back board width. My existing back board is 9 inches wide.

If you own a pair, could you send a minute measure the width of the back board

I see the Volti work but no dimension listed.

Thanks in advance

Thuan

Just build your enclosure to fit your K-horn. Should not need to match the tail board dimension of a different speaker. As I recall, volti had a very detailed explanation of his procedure.

As of now, 2 side boards and 9” wide tail board are cut and paint with duratex, along with braces.

Will put together and give it an audition to hear how good is the low freq goes.

Was thinking if I increase the width of tail board, would increase bass bin volume might help low freq.

I noticed the new AK6 has wider board.

I already bought a pair of SVS SB1000 pro if the modification did not yield good bass
Thanks

if you have good corners  , enclosed backs on Khorns will not help to increase the LF  , the enclosed backs will allow you to move the Khorn out of the corner for toe in  , but  , you still need a corner in close proximity   . 

The enclosed build turn out to be great, more than expected

Same location, same set up, KHorns produced more low freq and much louder in compare with my CW iii

The enclosed cabinet boost I would say around 50% more low end in compare with non-mod

Location measured at center of speaker, 4.5ft away from corners and 10.5ft apart
Cost: one 4x8 plywood $70, one quart of Duratex from PartExpress (one layer, one side) $45, 20ft of window shield strip $20.

I used brad nailer 18 gauge.

Let me try to post some pictures

Thanks to everyone responsed

Happy listening

20240214_172053.jpeg

20240214_171242.jpeg

20240214_171223.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Thuan98 said:

The enclosed cabinet boost I would say around 50% more low end in compare with non-mod

Location measured at center of speaker, 4.5ft away from corners and 10.5ft apart
Cost: one 4x8 plywood $70, one quart of Duratex from PartExpress (one layer, one side) $45, 20ft of window shield strip $20.

I used brad nailer 18 gauge.

Great job. Care to share what the cut dimensions are? I have some Khorns that I never listen to because the MCM1900 uses (hogs up lol) the ideal corners I have.  

2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Great job. Care to share what the cut dimensions are? I have some Khorns that I never listen to because the MCM1900 uses (hogs up lol) the ideal corners I have.  

2 sides per speaker: 39.25” x 16”

1 tail board per speaker: 39.25” x 9”. Weather strip goes along 2 edges of this board and top side board

Note: side board need 45 degree cut to meet tail board, other edge also 45 degree to have flush edge with grill side.

You also see I build the cart on 4 low 1” wheel for easy move around and to ensure bass bin completely seal at bottom

This board is 31.5” x 24” time two (another 4x8 plywood). This is option

Hope this help and good luck

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1