Klipschorn corner wall length

Hi, I'm building walls for recently acquired Klipschorns.  My question is how far out should the wall extend?  I haven't been able to find the correct wall length that completes the bass horn.  Is it 42"? 48"?  I want to get the full frequency extension, but don't want to extend into the room more than necessary.  Thanks in advance!

• Moderators
9 hours ago, garyc_06820 said:

Hi, I'm building walls for recently acquired Klipschorns.  My question is how far out should the wall extend?  I haven't been able to find the correct wall length that completes the bass horn.  Is it 42"? 48"?  I want to get the full frequency extension, but don't want to extend into the room more than necessary.  Thanks in advance!

48”

I will post the Dope From Hope article that’s still applies.

Travis - thank you for this.  I have seen this before.  I have also seen some similar designs that are somewhat shorter than 48", and of course the inside dimension here is more like 44".  Since I am actually building walls, I am just looking for the actual dimension that gets me the best extension that the klipschorn is capable of.  Lol, as with all this stuff, the pursuit of perfection - that you can never achieve!

12 hours ago, garyc_06820 said:

Since I am actually building walls, I am just looking for the actual dimension that gets me the best extension that the klipschorn is capable of.

Well the DPH paper say’s Neglible Improvement past 4ft so whatever gives you peace of mind 🙂

IMG_5898.thumb.jpeg.8ad303f3164b5f290abe091130787a10.jpeg

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Well the DPH paper say’s Neglible Improvement past 4ft so whatever gives you peace of mind

that would happen if you added a rounded flared that ends of that wall?

IMG_0878-small.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting idea.  Well as it turns out, the Klipschorns are either side of an alcove.  The rear walls will only end up being about 42" before they recess into the alcove.  If I move the speakers farther apart, the imaging suffers. One side wall will be 48".  The other will be longer about 13' in order to divide the room from my workshop area.  I guess I will try to measure the frequency response for each speaker once complete.  They sound good now, but I'm using the loudness and bass controls to artificially get the bass where I like it.  I'm hoping once done I can ease up on that boost.  Btw these are 1978s with backs added and Volti mid horn and tweeter upgrades