dvd players that put out great audio

arthurs

I'm looking to upgrade to a dvd that has great sound for cd's as well. I'd rather not sacrifice topo much picture quality to get good sound. I have the denon 1600 right now, and am open to both sacd and dvd-a formats. have heard a little about pioneer elite's new 47ai which has both. any thoughts out there?

Arthurs

I run a Sony DVD 9000ES player with my Chorus Speakers using the analog output (both SACD and CD) and it sounds terrific. The unit has been discontinued and replaced by a newer model so you may be able to get a deal on one. I am as much a video (okay, maybe more) than audio and the Sony ES players have very good picture quality. I also am a fan of a player that has a lot of heft.

I tried the new Pioneer at home on loan from a friend and it was fine, probably not much of an upgrade from where you are if any.

Good Luck!

----------------

On 2/3/2003 6:33:16 PM Randu wrote:

Take a look at the new Philips DVD963SA $499 list, ($399 @ J&R)

It's getting fantastic reviews on audiophile sites/forums.

DVD - SACD - CD upsampling - Faroudja chip Beating out $2000 - $5000 units in head to head.

Mines on the way
3.gif

----------------

Ditto!

The Philips DVD963SA is AWESOME!

Arthurs, I have the Pioneer Elite DV-47A. This DVD player is very good at music, as well as movies. I have mine hooked up via the digital output. The bass response is deep and full and the highs are never harsh. MFSL CD's sound great, as well as all other well produced CD's. I have been told that this player suffers from the chroma bug. As my TV is not the size of my wall I have never noticed (Sony vega 32") and I have looked for it. The remote is easy to use and this unit will play anything on the market. It is a bit $$$ but the results are very satisfying. My only gripe is this unit will expound on all flaws of any recording played through it. Poorly mastered and recorded CD's will not make you very happy. Well mastered CD's will cause an unstoppable grin. Good luck.

----------------

On 2/10/2003 2:48:53 PM cleandan wrote:

My only gripe is this unit will expound on all flaws of any recording played through it. Poorly mastered and recorded CD's will not make you very happy. Well mastered CD's will cause an unstoppable grin.

----------------

Sounds like you're talking about Klipsch speakers! Maybe it's a good match...

fini

I am extremely happy with the Pioneer DV-45A. It looks a little cheap but works great. Oh yea the remote leaves a little to be desired. Sound quality is top notch for the price as well as the amuont of flexibility it gives. As far as the chroma bug thing goes, it's never been a problem for me.

EJ1.gif

I've been using my McIntosh MVP-841 for about 1.5 years now and the soound is phenominal. I got from Audio Classics for $1700 and it was in perfect condition. Plays DVD-A but no SACD or HDCD. Talk about build quiality!! Mac also has a new model out that I wish I had, the MVP-851 that plays CD-R's. I only have mine hooked up via two-channel so I can't take advantage of the multi-channel discs