http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/DSCF0919A_7.jpg">

----------------

Nice response curve, Jim.
9.gif

----------------

Just hanging by a thread............or two.6.gif

• 1 month later...

jeanne01.jpg

Well, Hurricane Jeanne ripped through Polk County last week and spared nothing in its path, including our home! Fortunantly, no one was hurt, and no trees uprooted and fell through our roof. But we lost power, and my music room was flooded due to the overlysaturated ground and a crack somewhere in the house's foundation. Water seeped in underneath the carpet and flooded nearly half the room, also directly underneath my computer desk, my parent's cadenza I used for my gear, and the risers to both Cornwalls! I got the Klipsch out in time, but the base to both the cadenza and the computer desk were waterlogged, so they, along with the entire carpet, were pitched to the front curb with tree branches and other hurricane related debris.

It was bad, but it could've been worse. Still waiting for the claims adjuster to come out and survey the damage...

post-11084-13819246280428_thumb.jpg

Thanks, guys, for the well-wishes. Both my brother's systems were unscathed, thank goodness. The house is a mess, though, with other furniture from my room scattered throughout the livingroom and familyroom. It's ridiculous...the whole house looks a mess, but it's nothing compared to the families who had big oak trees come crashing through their roofs!

• 2 months later...

Well, it's official...my homeowners insurance sent me a letter last week with exclusions on my policy that won't cover damage due to Hurricane Jeanne.

I still have no flooring put down since the carpet was completely pulled up; my homeowners insurance won't cover my claim due to the fact that I do not have flood insurance (we're on high ground and never had the rains 3 back-to-back hurricanes produced in all the 20+ years our family's lived here), and our hurricane coverage only covers damage due to a torn roof or collapsed wall(s) caused by the storms. My bedroom's floor is actually 8" below ground level (poor planning on the contractor's part when the house was built), and due to all the heavy rainfall we received, large standing puddles of water formed where we never had any puddles before. The sandy ground was totally oversaturated; normally water would just soak into the ground, but since it couldn't because it had no where else to go, little "ponds" formed all over the yard, especially near my bedroom wall. Small cracks in the porous mortar between the cement blocks of the wall and the foundation (which is underground) was the passageway for all the ground water to seep itself into my bedroom. My budget won't allow new flooring be put down of anykind since the insurance won't cover it, so I'm stuck standing on a cold concrete floor.

But it could've been worse, so I should count my blessings and just be hopeful we never experience that much rain all at one time ever again!

Well, I'll be damned!4.gif

That Carver Model C-4000 was the preamp of my dreams...kinda still wish I had it, but I'm quite satisfied with my lil' 6SN7 SRPP linestage pre.16.gif

So Rick, whaddaya lookin' at Carver components for, eh?5.gif

• 1 month later...

I love my latest 2-channel audio system, and I finally bought a nice steel and glass audio rack to showcase the components! But as much as I don't want to admit it, even with the 300B SE amp and 6SN7 SRPP line stage pre, the Cornwalls still don't sound the best they can (through no fault of their own)...all due to lackluster room placement with this small room!

Alas, this has been the case for me with the present room my audio system's been placed in these past couple of years. It's actually a small 12'x13.5'x8' bedroom turned into an office/music room. I know my Cornwalls have the potential to create beautiful music no matter where you sit when placed in an appropriate room of larger dimensions (when my dad had them placed in our much larger formal livingroom...from anywhere in the house it sounded like a live band or symphony orchestra performing in our home)!

When I aquired the Cornwalls some years ago, I could not use the livingroom since all the furnishing were rearranged by my brothers after our folks moved back to CT and left us the house. When I moved back in, the Cornwalls had no choice than to squeek their way into a small bedroom where they're forced to speak within these small, restricted confines. As much as I didn't want to admit it, the Cornwalls never sounded as beautiful in its present location than they did when they could speak freely in the livingroom. The livingroom now is home not only to the residence pipe organ console my dad built for the house back in '83, but it also houses a large antique 1888 Estey 2-manual and pedal reed organ and a 1898 Steinway & Sons upright piano, plus numerous couches, loveseats, a huge Queen Anne chair, a coffee and end tables, etc. (the reed organ and piano used to be in the familyroom, which is now my youngest brother's HT room). No, the Cornwalls have always seemed restrictive in this small room, sometimes sounding very harsh depending on the music, the recording, or at higher levels. Proper placement within this small room is virtually impossible with a closet door on one side and a window on the other, so in the one and only location the Cornwalls could be placed, overall sound characteristics have always been less than stellar, even with several high quality SS McIntosh amps! I assumed that the harshness would subside once I went with tube gear...having a 300B SE amp and a 6SN7 SRPP line stage preamp have helped, but with the present loudspeaker placement, it has not improved the tube's sonics much. I even tried both my brother's Klipsch KG 3.2s and KG 5.5s in this room to no avail...this small room destroys the beauty and liveliness of horns!

Since I still cannot relocate my audio system to the livingroom where I know the Cornwalls can sing like they're supposed to (and when they used to for our dad so many years ago), I am forced to go another route entirely if I continue to listen to 2-channel audio in this room. I do know my Magnepans sounded fantastic and airy in this room, so too for my JBL L112 3-way monitors. But inefficient Magnepans are out of the question with only an 8 watt tube amp, and I have no plans (nor the funds) to replace my present SET, nor do I want to. With my extremely limited budget (and with the help of my income tax refund), I decided to go with a 2-way acoustic-suspension design with a 1" Teteron dome tweeter and two 8" injection molded polypropylene woofers in an elegent floorstanding tower, built by the Canadian firm Athena Technologies, the model AS-F2 from their Audition Series. They should arrive by the end of this week!

I did not betray Klipsch, and I have NO intentions of ever selling the Cornwalls...EVER! I love horns and I always will...I know their potential when placed in a proper location in a room that accepts their qualities, and someday the Cornwalls will speak once again in our livingroom where they belong (powered by tubes no less)! But since the livingroom cannot change to accept the Cornwalls unless the pipe organ is sold (no time soon, I'm afraid) and the room can be rearranged entirely for them, they'll have to stay in protective storage in a spare closet near the foyer for the time being. And since any horn speaker from Klipsch will not sound as they should in my present music room, then I'll have to go the dome route to enjoy my music for the time being. The AS-F2s are 8 ohms, efficient at 93dB, with a frequency response of 35Hz - 20kHz, and can be driven quite well with my SET amp. They're not horns, but they'll do.

More to come...stay tuned!

Hi, Jim. We do what we must to achieve good sound in whatever circumstances we are able to listen to it. Buying these speakers, highly rated by Goodsound.com and others, sounds like a wise decision. Rated at 93db sensitivity, a relatively easy load for a tube amplifier, and priced at $599 in the U.S., the decision is a no brainer. Good luck. Let us know how these speakers work out in that small room of yours.

Thanks for your kind words, I do appreciate it. I did consider Klipsch Synergy towers, but at the moment they're a bit more expensive than the Athenas, and I'm sure their horns would also shrill in my room as did the KG 3.2s and KG 5.5s. No, it seems cones are the way to go in this room (I have to admit at least my ProMedias do sound great with my PC in there, so I'm not totally without Klipsch, but they're not Heritage either).