What's left of my audio system!

jt1stcav

December%20041.jpg

"12'x13.5'x8'"

My Cornwalls don't do too bad in a 12'x 14'x 7' room.

Nearfield isn't bad for me, I dunno...the room is pretty well damped with junk.

I've been having good results with these homely bastards.

The imaging is nice, and the bass is right up there with the Cornwalls.

I need to sand them up and oil or stain them.

They are smaller than the Cornwalls, maybe that helps in a smallish room. Though they sound just as big as the Cornwalls.

The Cornwalls ain't going nowhere however, I may get a house someday.....

post-6643-13819246281168_thumb.jpg

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The F2s arrived a few days ago in excellent condition, and have been on constantly since then. They did sound rather muffled at first, but have opened up considerably now. Bass is tight (and seems to be getting better), but I still feel the need for a sub someday...

DSCF0290_8.jpg

Well Mike, I guess if my room was well damped with junk9.gif, maybe my big ol' Cornwalls wouldn't sound so harsh. Since the carpet was ripped out due to the flooding from the last hurricane, the near-empty room just isn't a good candidate for horns (even with the nasty ol' shag ca. 1975 the Cornwalls still didn't sound their best). The Klipsch were against the short wall (the only feasible location due to the window and closet); maybe if they were placed along the long wall, but it wouldn't be an ideal setup with the PC desk, etc...15.gif

Simple conclusion, the room's way too small and the Klipsch are too big. I never tried small bookshelf Klipsch monitors though...maybe that's why my ProMedias DO sound so good in this room!2.gif

Mike, finish those homely bastards (looks great so far)!4.gif

post-11084-13819246281848_thumb.jpg

Since the bottom of my '70s vintage Danish walnut cadenza was totally waterlogged from Hurricane Jeanne, I had to buy an audio rack to replace that nasty Nixon-era coffee table I was temporarily using...This Haropa 13SVG steel and glass AV rack was only $156 with shipping on eBay (even a poor slob like me could afford this one).

DSCF0226_8.jpg

post-11084-13819246284178_thumb.jpg

DSCF0295_81.jpg

I hate to admit it, but the Athena AS-F2s do sound better in this room than my Cornwalls ever did, and the shrill is gone (sorry, pun intended)!10.gif I wish I could afford the cherry veneered RB-75s; I feel these flagship Reference monitors could've worked out quite well in this particular room. Even the least expensive Reference bookshelf speakers would be efficient enough (minus the new RSX-3 @ 89dB), but I'd need a powered subwoofer for every single on of 'em, and I couldn't afford both (not even a Synergy and a sub). At least I have a dynamic tower with a smooth treble response and ample bass (not gut-wrenching, but no worse than the Cornwall's).

Rick...when I finally have a coming out party for my Cornwalls, you'll be the first to know!2.gif

post-11084-13819246287698_thumb.jpg

I could try stuffing the ports with foam plugs...my brother just bought a new SVS PB12-ISD/2 dual 12" subwoofer with his tax refund; I could maybe borrow his plugs when he's not around (damn gigantic sub has 3 ports for bass tuning (choose from 25, 20, and 16Hz).

I'd hate to buy another carpet just to have another torrential downpour flood my room again...until I can afford a contractor to come out and seal the foundation, there's no sense laying carpet 'till then. I dunno...beer spills and vomit are so much easier to clean up on concrete floors!14.gif

The speakers look great, Jim. They remind me a little of the Paradigm Performance series. I can see what you mean about the acoustics in your room. Klipsch speakers wouldn't like a bare concrete floor. It looks as though you've bought really well. At the lower end of the market, Klipsch don't do inexpensive floorstanders. Klipsch admit they are a mid to high end loudspeaker company. Things might change though with the recent purchase of the Danish company, Jamo.

The concrete floor definately didn't help matters none, but the small room (even with the carpeting) is still the culprit in this instance. The Cornwalls are just way too big for such a small room; bookshelf loudspeakers are probably the only right size loudspeaker for such dimensions. If I could've afforded both a sub and the Reference bookshelf monitors, I would've gone that route I think.

The large F2 towers are about the biggest I could get away with for this room and obtain acceptable results and still have Cornwall-like bass without a sub. I had even considered a pair of used Heresys, but being 3-way (and essencially Cornwalls without the bass) I was afraid I'd still have horn harshness that this little room seems to project. Big horns seem to need large rooms to breath properly, and my poor Cornwalls were sufficating!15.gif

The Athenas are decent looking cone 'n' dome towers (if you're into that sort of thing)...personally, I always loved the look of horn speakers (and their in-your-face lifelike sound qualities). They're so unique and make such a statement IMO; look at the statement the venerable Klipschorns have made for over half a century!2.gif

I may be able to enjoy these AS-F2 towers for my present situation, but once I get the chance to finally locate the Cornwalls to our much larger livingroom, I'm gonna jump on the chance in a heartbeat!

Jim, While the Corns are resting, it might be a good time to do a little refreshing on them like new xover caps and some Dynamat on the horns. That will take away some of the "bite" when you ressurect them.

Those tweeters in your Athenas seem to have a bit of a horn loading thing going on there. 4.gif

Rick

Funny you should mention that, Rick...

"The high-powered 1" Teteron dome tweeter provides clear extended high frequencies that are dispersed from the unique faceplate in a very wide window. The wider the window of sound, the easier and more flexible your speaker placement is, and the better the stereo imaging, too."

...from their sales literature.

I thought about replacing the Cornwall's tired crossovers, or at least updating their caps, when the time comes to use them again. Guess rope caulk around the horns wouldn't hurt, seeing how it's an acceptable means of reducing metal horn ringing. Hell, if I can afford it later on down the road, I might even have a cabinetmaker refinish the birch veneer...whatever it takes to make the wood look like new again! That's the one thing I really don't like about the Athenas, to keep their prices down they use vinyl veneer...YUCK!14.gif

"I'd hate to buy another carpet just to have another torrential downpour flood my room again..."

I didn't say buy another carpet, I said go FIND another carpet.11.gif

I put rope caulk on the midhorns of my Cornwalls, must a subtle thing....

The midhorns in my Cornwalls didn't seem harsh or bright even before the rope caulk. I dunno....maybe tube amps cure that issue somewhat. I can hook up a older SS NAD amplifier to the Cornwalls, crank it up, and those horns will cut your head off.

IMO, the best Cornwall tweak would be to double up the back panel, and brace the cabinet up big time, corners, sides. Crossbraces side to side, front to rear, top to bottom. Run braces across the front baffle as well.

Use hardwoods for the bracing, oak, hickory....

That would tighten up the Cornwall's bass response, but that would also suck up a bunch of internal volume. So you'd pretty much have to retune the cabinet.

Then doing that to a pair of vintage Klipsch Cornwalls is one reason I haven't done it.

I'd rather try to build homebrew speaker cabinet and do those sort of things....

I doubt if I would ever ditch my Corns. But if I had to, they would be worth more in stock form.

----------------

On 2/22/2005 7:49:55 PM mike stehr wrote:

..."Then doing that to a pair of vintage Klipsch Cornwalls is one reason I haven't done it.

I'd rather try to build homebrew speaker cabinet and do those sort of things....

I doubt if I would ever ditch my Corns. But if I had to, they would be worth more in stock form."

----------------

Which is why I haven't succumbed to modifying my Cornwalls, not that I would ever consider selling mine neither! Just leave 'em the way Andy (HDBRbuilder) had built them.

Seems to me ol' PWK knew a thing or two about designing them...just my opinion, natch.

• 1 month later...

That pic reminds me of the day that we bought our ASL AQ1003DT. My wife said It sounds beautiful but what if one of our girls decides to sniff one of the big tubes ??

I looked at her and said Just Once Dear...Just Once!!

Fortunately it has not been an issue...so far!