What's left of my audio system!

jt1stcav

It's rated at 25Hz (not bad at all), and with the crossover adjusted to about 85Hz blends quite nicely with the Loth-X Amaze bookshelf monitors. With the level set so it's not bringing attention to itself, and placed a foot away from the back wall between the audio rack and the right monitor, this inexpensive subwoofer ($220 retail) is remarkably fast, tight, deep, and its amp is even cool to the touch! Sure, it's no SVS, Hsu, Sunfire, Velodyne, REL, not even a Dayton Titanic MKIII many speak highly of. What it is though is a decent, solid design with good quality components, built rather well and without the boomy notes if setup properly. It handles low organ pedal notes rather smoothly and acurately and sounds much bigger than it is. It won't raise the rafters like my bro's SVS PB12-ISD2 did obviously, but for my tiny room with my SET amp at near 90dB levels, it holds its own better than I ever imagined!

My bro came through for me (this time), and I've since paid him back! What a true bargain. Glad I've got mine now that they're a discontinued item.

post-11084-13819278735462_thumb.jpg

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And props go out to Erik Mandaville for providing me with two pairs of 10' long grounded interconnects he made me for this sub. I wasn't sure exactly where I'd set the sub, and I needed some long length ICs so I could experiment with its placement. Since I provided him with a free pair of Shuguang 300B output tubes I wasn't using anymore for a project he's working on, he felt compelled to pay me back by producing these high quality DIY interconnects, using heavy duty OFC cables and Neutrik nickel-plated brass connectors with gold-plated RCA plugs...all from PartsExpress.com! These long ICs replaced my expensive 1 meter Cardas QuadLink 5-C interconnects, and to be honest, Erik's DIY ICs sound every bit as great as the Cardas IMHO! Audiophiles with golden ears will argue that statement, but to me, Erik did a splendid job on making these extra long grounded ICs...IMO not only do they look great with their fit 'n' finish as good as the top-name interconnects, but the sound of my system hasn't changed for the worse either!

Watch out, George, Roy, and Noel Lee...here comes Mandaville cables![;)]

post-11084-13819278736402_thumb.jpg

That would be nice, Edwin, but like many great audio manufacturers who went the way of the do-do, I'm not holding my breath counting on their return. It's a shame too...seems Loth-X Audio made at least one very impressive 300B SET amp and an acrylic turntable or two. And their high-end tower horn-loaded fullrange loudspeakers were highly regarded from what I've read. Maybe Herr Stamm has some plans in the works...what, have you heard anything?[:^)]

Oh yeah, the Technic's original headshell leads were pretty flakey from all the cartridge changes during its 27 years. So I ordered a new set of Sumiko HS-29 silk-covered OFC leads. Can't say I hear any difference (is this even considered a tweek unless I spend over a hundred for 'em?), but at least they look nice![Y]

post-11084-13819278773522_thumb.jpg

Jim:

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad they are working out for you.

Erik

You're very welcome, Erik.

They're fantastic interconnects...as good as any high-end cables from the leading manufacturers as far as I'm concerned! Not only did you put them together nicely, you used TOTL Dayton Pro grounded/shielded OFC cables (made in the good ol' USA) and excellent Neutrik connectors with gold-plated RCA plugs, and my system sounds every bit as good as when I used audiophile ICs (and I've owned or used many, from MIT, Cardas, Monster Cable, Linn, Transparent Audio, Space & Time, Homegrown Audio, MagWire, Canare, Modern Audio Designs, Stout-Interconnects, Analysis Plus, Kimber Kable, SignalCable, and oh yes...even RadioShack)!

Who knows, maybe in the near future I'll pay you to make me more 1 and 2 meter length ICs...I have nothing against George Cardas or Roy Kimber, but maybe Erik Mandaville could release a few new types of cables and give the big names a run for their money (one could dream, right?)!

post-11084-13819278774922_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I've updated my computer several times over these past few years...two months ago my old hard drive gave up the ghost, and since I was still using an older platform, I decided to upgrade the entire PC (minus the old case). My bro's fixed me up good with the latest motherboard and 2GHz AMD processor, along with an excellent video card, a gig of memory, and now a flat panel monitor. I can finally watch DVD movies in grand style, although I'm still using only 2-channels for sound (I have no room for a center channel and no place to put surrounds behind me)...my ProMedia 2.1s are still going strong, and I couldn't justify spending more money for effects when I'm more than content with stereo. Call me old fashioned (or just plain cheap), but I have no reason to replace my ProMedias...ever!

post-11084-13819286727162_thumb.jpg

post-11084-1381929099919_thumb.jpg

post-11084-13819294960248_thumb.jpg

And since I bought a second Dayton Audio powered sub before they were finally discontinued in January, I figured it's time to post the latest image of my sound system as it stands today.

I'm back using the Triangle Zephyrs...I had more major financial setbacks (go figure) and had to let certain things go; one of them being my Loth-X Amaze bookshelf monitors! I did make a small profit off of them, and I certainly hope the new owner appreciates 'em as much as I did.

As much as I enjoyed the Amaze, they still weren't the Cornwalls, and they'll never be sold (thank goodness my brother chops resurrected 'em, put in Bob's CT125 tweeters and caps, and they're once again being enjoyed everyday...just like they should be)!

post-11084-13819286738252_thumb.jpg

post-11084-13819291011444_thumb.jpg

post-11084-13819294971122_thumb.jpg

I've updated my computer several times over these past few years...two months ago my old hard drive gave up the ghost, and since I was still using an older platform, I decided to upgrade the entire PC (minus the old case). My bro's fixed me up good with the latest motherboard and 2GHz AMD processor, along with an excellent video card, a gig of memory, and now a flat panel monitor. I can finally watch DVD movies in grand style, although I'm still using only 2-channels for sound (I have no room for a center channel and no place to put surrounds behind me)...my ProMedia 2.1s are still going strong, and I couldn't justify spending more money for effects when I'm more than content with stereo. Call me old fashioned (or just plain cheap), but I have no reason to replace my ProMedias...ever!

I don't feel like getting up to tell you, so I'll just tell you here on the forum...

Actually, you have the AMD 64 bit Sempron 3100+ chip... schmuck. [8-|]

• 8 months later...

Here's the scoop on the RB-75s...

From what I gather, forum member Jeremy (capo72) bought them new in 2003(?) to use as surrounds for a planned 7.1 HT setup with four RF-7s and an RC-7. He later decided he didn't want the extra 7.1 so he put them up for sale to free up some cash for other endevors.

Jeremy sold these RB-75s in May of this year to Mark Deneen (mdeneen). Mark was searching for a pair of high-quality bookshelf monitors he could use to represent his JuicyMusic lineup at an upcoming VTV audio show in Los Angeles. Jeremy's RB-75s were chosen for the task, so Mark purchased them and went on the road in June to promote his JuicyMusic products to the audio world. After the success of the VTV show, Mark decided he didn't have any further use for them, so he posted a thread to sell the Klipsch on these forums and Ben (ben.) purchased them.

Ben already owns Klipschorns and a few other models, and since he tried out the RB-75s and they didn't "better" the overall sonics of the mighty K-horns, he decided he'd let someone else have a crack at 'em! His loss was my gain...and the rest, as they say, is history.

post-11084-1381931808969_thumb.jpg