What's left of my audio system!

jt1stcav

Jim

Glad you found a job.

I too am working for much less than I use to make. I think things are finally starting to get better. Since 9/11 nobody has been hireing up by me, well, nothing good anyway. Over the Last few months I started looking for a new job, and in the last week or so, I am getting a few interested companies. I told them my salary requirements and they are still talking. Maybe in the next few months, I can be back where I want to be.

Hang in there....

JM

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carver components,way to go.I am a big fan of Carver and Sunfire.

I have all the current Sunfire subwoofers(3) as well as the new Carver Knight Shadow subs(2),also I have the Theater Grand II.I had Carver's most powerful creation the TFM-75,a monster of power capable of a full kilowatt RMS per channel!

Great system

Gadzooks, EAR...The mighty TFM-75! Even if Bob Carver wasn't with Carver Corp. then, the TFM-75 was still a very impressive dual-mono amplifier. And Bob's Sunfire components are also quite impressive to say the least. If I had stayed with the Magnepans (preferably the MG1.6 or MG3.6), I wanted to purchase the Sunfire Stereo Amplifier Series II, the Classic Vacuum Tube Preamplifier, and probably two of the True Subwoofer Mark IV's. And if I had gone the HT route, probably the new Carver C-1000a AV receiver. But alas, I've sold all my Carver gear except for my two amps; the M-400t, which my brother is using in his bedroom system, and my TFM-35x, which the same bro is using with my old Maggies in his HT in our family room.

Maybe someday if I ever build my own HT, I'll purchase Sunfire components. I know ol' PWK didn't like Bob Carver too much, but that doesn't mean that WE should follow suit!

Thanks for the kind words...I do miss my old Carver gear...15.gif

Thanks, m00n. My system went from better, best, to nothing, and now in its simplified form, to the ultimate in sound thus far...but with only one source instead of 4 or 5! I don't think I'll ever make what I used to, but I've accepted it, and I'll just have to live a little more wisely this time, instead of spending way more than I made! I'll get by. At least I have my Klipsch.1.gif

fini, I used to work for a small art company that was contracted by Disney to provide specialized artwork for the park's guests. We had small shops and stands located throughout all of Disney's theme parks here in Orlando, and in Anahiem, CA. Back in '86-'92, I made over $30,000 a year just drawing caricature portraits and cutting out silhouette profiles of Disney's guests. Such a simple (often mindless) job, but it was gravey, and it paid between $400-$600 a week back in the day! In '96, the admission prices kept going up, the prices to our artwork jumped several dollars, and business began to decline at a rapid rate. Then the recession, and then 9/11, and tourism dropped tremendously, along with my commissions! Six months ago, my pay dropped to virtually nothing, and Disney once again raised all their prices. My little employer couldn't afford to renew his contract with WDW unless he let some of his staff go. He regretted his decision, and I didn't blame him (he took care of his employees very well)...in order for him to even make payroll, he had to dip into his own personal accounts!

Now I'm with Guitar Center, as a senior warehouse ops associate. The music store's grand opening is the 24th of this month, so we'll all be busy preparing the new store. This is a major departure from what I did for almost 17 years, but it'll be fun (and I'm around music all day long...gotta love that)!

BTW, when I was a kid, I would always draw the "Peanuts" gang (I can relate to Charlie Brown). I drew a picture of the gang for my grandmom, as she would always keep my drawings and show them to her friends at the local Lions Club. One day when I was 13, I received this large envelope in the mail from Santa Barbara, CA (I was a CT Yankee and didn't know anyone from CA, and the envelope had no forwarding address on it). When I opened it, there was this exact duplicate of what I had drawn for my grandmom, but this 8x10 was hand-drawn by my hero, who signed it, "To Jim - Every best wish - Charles M. Schulz"...My grandmom sent that drawing I did for her to him, and he copied what I drew and sent it to me (he sent my original back to my grandmom)! Schulz was the greatest, in my book (may he rest in peace)!

JT:

I had one of those silhouette pictures done of my family when we were in Disneyland back in 89. I believe it is hanging up in my ex-wife's house. I will try to get a pic of it. My daughters were 3 & 5 at the time. We get asked about it all the time.

Unfortunantly Bryan, it wasn't I, for I only worked at Disney World in Orlando. It's hard to believe that I did that specialized artwork in the Magic Kingdom since 1986...witnessed the park change with new attractions, seen completely new parks throughout Orlando open up, seen tons of people come and go over the years. I estimate that I've probably cut out roughly 850,000 silhouettes throughout my 17 years there.

The one thing that seemed to impress me most is that some guests would remember me...In particular, I cut out this family's baby silhouette back in '86, and just 3 months ago, they came back to have an updated silhouette of their now 16 year old daughter, and they remembered me! Of course I didn't remember them, and their daughter didn't look anything like the baby silhouette I did back then!3.gif It was by far the simplest job I ever had, and the money was great when business was booming!

But I no longer miss it. I don't miss the parks, the tourists, the hour long drive to and from work, the lousy weather (if I had to work at one of our outdoor locations), and the heat and humidity! I do miss my friends, but I still keep in touch (even though I live over 50 miles away from all of them). I also miss doing the silhouettes (I could knock one out in 30-40 seconds tops!)...maybe I'll try to get back into it on my days off, or work at local art shows, craft fairs, etc.

I was aware that it was not you .. I saw that you were in Florida. I just thought it was interesting to make that connection.

Unfortunately, we have searched both houses, & are unable to find it. This is strange, because we all remember seeing it hanging up somewhere....

Now we just need to find out where.

----------------

On 4/5/2003 4:10:51 PM jt1stcav wrote:

BTW, when I was a kid, I would always draw the "Peanuts" gang (I can relate to Charlie Brown). I drew a picture of the gang for my grandmom, as she would always keep my drawings and show them to her friends at the local Lions Club. One day when I was 13, I received this large envelope in the mail from Santa Barbara, CA (I was a CT Yankee and didn't know anyone from CA, and the envelope had no forwarding address on it). When I opened it, there was this exact duplicate of what I had drawn for my grandmom, but this 8x10 was hand-drawn by my hero, who signed it, "To Jim - Every best wish - Charles M. Schulz"...My grandmom sent that drawing I did for her to him, and he copied what I drew and sent it to me (he sent my original back to my grandmom)! Schulz was the greatest, in my book (may he rest in peace)!

----------------

Jim,

What a trip! I used to draw the Peanuts characters, too! For me, it was my Mom who saved and showed-off my artwork. I wrote to Schultz, who lived only a few miles North of me, in Santa Rosa, CA, telling him we'd started a local fan club. He returned a real nice encouraging letter, along with a print just like yours (you say yours is an original drawing? Look close and check, if you would. An original would be quite a memento!!)! Later, in High School, my Principal sent (unbeknownst to me) some cartoons I'd drawn for some assignment, to "Sparky," who apparently enjoyed seeing them. I used to run into him at the local mall at Christmastime, where they did a little Snoopy show to kick-off the season, as well as at his Redwood Empire Ice Arena (in Santa Rosa), where he liked to hang out. Fun memories...

fini

fini...how could I ever forget all you Klipschans?2.gif

I've been dead tired. I'm the Warehouse Manager now for the new yet-to-be-opened Guitar Center, and after working 10 hours a day all week, I'd just eat a quick dinner, try to watch CNN, and go to bed! What we do for money, eh?

It's an original, not a print...he also sent a print of Snoopy sleeping on top of his dog house with that original. The original drawing has no copyright, whereas the Snoopy print does (1955, '56, et al, up to 1972 I think).

Jim,

Yeah the TFM-75,a real compact Carver monster,packed tight with goods and a champ for driving SVS Ultras.I sold my TFM-75 because I had too many amps doing nothing and the Carver was one of them,as much as I like the classic Carver amps when I compared them with my current Celeste and Celeste MOON amps the Carver sounded like slightly defective unit.

Now the new high-end Carver the Sunfire amps sound much better.more refined,quiet and with the same explosive dynamics.The Signature stereo amp has the goods to drive planar speakers to high levels with no sweat.And its priced at a realsitic level.

One of the customers of the store where I purchased all my Carver/Sunfire and almost all my Klipsch has a monster system using if I remember 15-20 Carver amps the same model you used to drive your speakers!Now the speakers are Pro Cerwin Vega,the center channel is the size of a few VOT's!Plus a few 18" bass bins 14.gif I dont know about finesse but this system can be used for bunker demolition

LOL

LOL!9.gif

You certainly can't take away the fact that all Carver/Sunfire amps are powerful as all get-out! My old TFM-35x never gasped for breath powering my always-hungry-for-power Maggies, and now that my brother is using my old Carver/Magnepan setup for his HT...WOW, talk about explosive! When watching DVD's of Saving Private Ryan or Gone in 60 Seconds, he'll crank up his HT system to near live levels...It's amazing the mylar film inside those planar towers doesn't rip apart and spew forth its contents right through their grills! And that amp doesn't even get warm to the touch!

But it is true, sadly enough, that the older Carver amps aren't as refined sonically as their present offerings, which is why I used my M-400t cubes for subwoofer duty (and they never gave up on power, either...well, the one I bought off of eBay did, but my original M-400t is still goin' strong in my bro's bedroom system)!

But I'll always be forever impressed with the 4 Klipschorns I heard in this huge music room back in '80, each pair powered by 2 Carver M-500t power amplifiers! Needless to say, it was sheer overkill having those 250 watt amps hooked up to those horn speakers, but with the size of that room, any music played through them sounded as if a live band or jazz group was performing right there in the room with you! That very system is what introduced me to Carver for the very first time; I knew then that I must have Carver components (my dad's Cornwalls were the first Klipsch horn speakers I ever heard; those 4 Klipschorns were the first corner horns I'd ever seen, and someday I'll have a pair for myself).

Long live Sunfire and Klipsch!2.gif

• 1 month later...

Well, now that I've made a little bit of money again from my new job, it was about time to replace the cheap Labtec 'puter speakers I had (a bad connection produced more scratch than music, plus it was very poor quality sound). I've heard the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s at Best Buy before, so now that I had the extra cash, I decided on purchasing the pair with their lil' sub.

I'm very impressed with their overall sound quality...very warm and full, and the bass (while a little boomy due to placement...I'll have to experiment with its placement some more) is more than room-filling!

P5252588_a.jpg

post-11084-13819246242848_thumb.jpg

P5252581_a.jpg

While obviously no match for my classic Cornwalls, the ProMedia 2.1 is still a full bodied system. They bested anything else that Best Buy had to offer (except for Klipsch's new GMX D-5.1, natch); I mean, these 2.1s could almost serve as a small audio system all by themselves, I would think. They're highly detailed and sonically accurate, and when placed just right on your computer desk, imaging is very convincing!

I'm listening to Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" CD, and it smacks you in the face with its presence, and isn't the least bit harsh! With a good quality soundcard (I use Creative), I can't imagine ever getting tired of listening to these lil' Klipsch horn speakers. Granted, PWK may not have had much to do with their design (then again, maybe he did?), and they may be built in China instead of Hope, but these lil' gems are still worthy of the Klipsch brand name, despite the problems some others have had with them. Someday I may replace the speaker wires with Monster (or my own DIY cables), but for now, my 'puter is extremely happy (and musical once again)!

Thanks Klipsch...

post-11084-13819246243508_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Damn, these new ProMedias never cease to amaze me! Maybe they're just more broken in now, but these little Klipsch really rock! Whether I'm listening to Pink Floyd's "Division Bell", Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance", or organist Jean Guillou playing "The Works of J.S. Bach, Volume 3", these tiny horn speakers have gobs of rich, abundant dynamics, ample bass (that's not boomy once the sub is positioned further away from the wall), and imaging that's quite remarkable! Of course I can't crank them wide open like my Cornwalls, but the sonics and soundstage are still there, in classic Klipsch style!

I'm very impressed, and totally satisfied. Klipsch is the king of all loudspeakers!1.gif