Who has been to the World Trade Center?

Colin

Colin,

I have been in all of them many times in the past and worked in one for a while. I never heard any sounds related to movement. strangely, on the lower floors you could some times feel passing trucks in lower manhattan, but most new yorkers are used to that feeling and it does not register. even from the very top of the observation deck I never had any sense of swaying etc. perhaps others felt or heard this while visiting or working there but I never did. why?

regards, tony

Maybe it is because of the number of New Yorkers down here, but I am surprised by the number of people I meet who have been to the WTC. The reason for the thread was to find out how many people here have been to the WTC.

The questions about sound were semi-tongue in cheek. Silly, to turn the thread towards sound, not politics. Serious, because I noticed a gentle swaying up at the observation deck, but otherwise I didnt notice it. The observation deck was not completely silent; the air rushing around it created a residual background. Even with the swaying, I do not think I felt any low frequency vibration, at least nothing like the sub-harmonics that truck drivers feel (5-Hz).

2.gif

Hi

My wife works for Wuakesha Engine, and they made the emergancy generators used at the WTC. These are pics taken of the engine generator sets from the WTC cleanup. These engines provided emergancy lighting and water for fire sprinklers durring the evacutation. The data taken from the engines shows all of the running up until the colapse.

When these engines came back to Waukesha, they were given a "heros" welcome form the Gov, Mayor, etc.

Out of the parts of the 4.5 engines they recovered, they have rebuild a working single engine that is being sent back to NYC.

JM

post-8879-13819246339244_thumb.jpg

by the way, did anyone see those final 2 contenders for rebuild designs? I don't really like the idea of rebuilding something for novelty use (not calling the event novle). I just think they should re build them as office buildings. It's going to cost a ton of money, and take up an insane amount of space, so you might as well get some use out of it.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-02-04-wtc-designs_x.htm

THINK team:

"World Cultural Center" features two lacy, 1,665-foot-tall towers resembling skeletons of the original towers.

Taller than the 1,483-foot Petronas Towers, currently the world's tallest buildings.

Two separate, open latticework structures are built above and around the footprints of the World Trade Center towers.

The structures emerge from large glass reflecting pools that bring natural light to a retail and transit concourse.

A transportation center, eight independent mid-rise office buildings and a hotel are placed on the perimeter of the site.

Two large-scale turbines harvest wind to power the elevators of the transportation center.

Studio Daniel Libeskind:

Rises 1,776 feet, surpassing Petronas Towers.

Five starkly geometrical towers and several smaller cultural buildings are clustered around the foundations of the fallen towers and topped by a spire.

Features a memorial and a space for meditation 70 feet deep, encompassing the footprints of the fallen towers.

Public places include the Park of Heroes and the Wedge of Light, where each Sept. 11, the sun will shine without shadow between the times of the first attack and the second collapse, in perpetual tribute to those who perished.

An elevated promenade encircles memorial site.

Source: The Associated Press

I love them both the originals were wimpy and unimaginative. These are bold and beautiful.

1.gif