Cary SLP90 returned from repair shop

Randy Bey

Randy,

I understand the Financial Situation. Recessions don't last forever, even though this has been a tough one! - I have not turned down any part time jobs in the last couple of years, even though I thought I would. More fishing than working! - I'm not complaining, if you get my drift.

Heck, I would even loan you a pre-amp, if I had one with a Phono-Stage! - I got rid of my vinyl in the mid 80's and am happy with CeeDee's. In the meantime you can use your Jury rigged Phono Stage to tide you over. Hope the thing with Cary works out for you.3.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke with Dennis Had today and he has received the unit. I asked him about my offer to let him keep the SLP90 in exchange for another Cary preamp with phono stage. He said, "No dice".

But he did say he would look at the SLP90 and "see what he could do."

Since the problem is rolled off treble, and is present in both channels, and all six tubes have been replaced, I am wondering if it could be as simple as a bad choice of capacitor values for a phono stage to line stage coupling cap.

Every darn thing in that preamp is separate for each channel, even two power cords. I thought at first that a tube wasn't biased properly but I doubt that both channels are being affected by a similar problem so I am kinda left thinking it's a design issue.

This preamp, when working well, will have the chance to outdo MANY preamps based on the configuration and parts. One just needs to come up with the right values. As it stands, it looks like an excellent platform.

I also cant stress enough the importance of finding the right NOS tube options. I believe this is imperative in getting these preamps to sing. You will get ok sound with many tubes but when the better options fall into place, it's not subtle. I find myself unable to like my Cary without quality 5691 in the line stage. Stopping at the new Electro-Harmonix option is a major handicap in my opinion. Having sampled many 6SL7/6SN7/5691/5692 options, the differences can be major and will take the piece up another level.

Based on the totally dual mono configuration and the parts, all you need is to get the values and circuit up to snuff. IF they could just equal a totally dual monon, tweaked SLP-70, you would be smiling ear to ear.

kh

Yeah, the EH's were just to replace the failing NOS tubes in there. At a hefty $12 a pop it was all I could afford.

If it comes back sounding even just OK (the problem is far more than just poor choice of tube vendor) I will save up and get some nice RCAs or Mullards or the like.

I am still very worried about the gain situation. There is so darn much gain that I have to turn the volume down on my CD player (which means the analog volume is in the circuit. When the volume is all the way up it is disengaged) and the additional circuitry rankles my purist streak.

Maybe when I switch to 6sn7s in the Laurels the gain will no longer be an issue. Cross my fingers....

I did tell him before but I'll mention it again. He said it would be a 'substantial' rework to change.

My plan is to be a bit of a squeaky wheel here, so I'll call him weekly for progress reports. Won't wait three months like the first time.

That damn Dan P. (my friend who loaned me the Thorens). He brought over "On the Beach" and playing that disc has put a jones on my back like nothing else in the last ten years. Not even what I'd call a stellar recording (except that it's probably Neil's best, IMHO) but the sound throught that Rat Shack had me mesmerized.

Lawdy Lawdy, horns, tubes and vinyl.

Randy,

I thought the Laurels did have 6SN7's? At any rate -- If you need another pair, I have a brand new set of CBS Brownbase 5692's over here that you can have. Kelly won't agree, but it's the same tube as the Redbase. Made by RCA for CBS. I think I put 4 hours on them with my AE-3 DJH. Just get me your mailing address -- and you can have them.

Passing along the grace and generosity shown to me by Edmond.

They are not the same tubes. They might be made in the same factories, but the different runs and materials made them different by de facto. There is a sonic difference between my red base RCA 5692 and my CBS speckled base 5692 and the Sylvania 5692, all from different runs and different years. So when you keep saying they all sound the same, it's not true. There are sonic differences with these tubes.

kh

If what you are saying is true, then even 5692 Redbases, made from different runs in different years -- should sound different.

I've compared the RCA Redbase and CBS Brownbase -- I couldn't tell a difference at all. Of course, this doesn't mean you don't.

Looking at them both side by side -- they look identical in every way.

• 2 months later...