Which receiver do you recommend?

mike_smith@cmfz.com

I'm getting rid of a really crappy Sony STR DE825 receiver. I've got KG5.5s as mains, soon an RC-3 or C-7 center, and soon RS-3 surrounds. I've heard that you have to very carefully match your Klipschs to the receiver, or they can sound overly bright and harsh (like they do with the Sony). What receiver under $1000 would really bring out the best in my beloved Klipschs--I listen mainly to HT, but some music, too. Thanks.

mike

------------------

I would like to purchase a small country online.

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX36-TX receiver driving RF-3 mains, RC-3 center and SS-1 surrounds. Home Theater or 2 Channel music, the sound is awesome. I also came from the Sony world, and let me tell you, moving up to a Denon or Pioneer Elite is like a night and day change.

I read a lot of reviews all over the Internet before I purchased my setup about 4 months ago. Most people are partial to certain brands not only because of the reputation of the brand, but also hearsay. When you are ready to buy, give a few brands a try and you'll hear the differences. Don't base your decision solely on what other's recommend. Use the recommendations to narrow your choices, then trust your ears to make the final decision. Good luck!

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as a Sony basher. I have a lot of Sony equipment that I really like (RPTV, VCR, DVD). It's just that this particular receiver isn't very good--and if i had known about all the information available online a couple of years ago when I bought the receiver, I would have known it had a lot of problems. Thanks for the input everyone. I'll do a search--I'm still learning this internet stuff!

mike

Most people that bash Sony products usually complain about their HIGH END $300 model.Then

they go spend three to ten times as much on another reciever and think WOW! this one sounds much better.

Another thing.Why do these superior builders of electronics offer a one to two year warranty?Just wondering.

Keith

For the record, I'm not a Sony basher either. In fact, almost all the other components I have in my system are Sony: VCR, DVD, CD, Cassette. The Sony receiver I replaced with the Pioneer was a $400 component. I noticed more and more limitations with it as time went by. Upgrading to a Pioneer Elite was a tough decision, considering all the other brands out there. It sounded the best (to my ears) and included the features I needed to drive the system. I guess the bottom line is...if Sony works for you, use it! It's all about the sound, man!

Go check out the new Yammy's

The new line is out. I think the the # is RXV560 (looked at them for the first time yesterday--100 watt/ch, 5 channel stereo, componet video switching & more).

And now for page 2...all for under $500. Don't walk, run to your local showroom!

Good excuse to get to know your local dealer! Go in talk to him, shoot the breeze for a while, tell him what you know and what you want. If he's worth dealing with he'll help you with everything you need, at least some brochures.

Also try yamaha.com

• 4 weeks later...

Mike try the Marantz 7000 or 8000, nice Receivers.

I'm not an Onkyo fan but have heard good things about the Onkyo DS787 and the Integra 7.1(Onkyo), more so the 7.1 but a local Dealer told me they are pretty much one and the same inside.

I also found on alot of manufactures sites you can download the owners manuals or product info to read in adf. format (Adobe Reader). Great way to get info on the product your looking at.

Sony use to make good audio equipment 10+ years ago,IMO when the ES series first came out, now there was nice gear, but ended up getting Adcom.

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 05-16-2001 at 12:10 AM

Yammie's line is nice-

I have the HTR 5460-(twin to the RXV620).

It sounds very clean and clear- good imaging for HT!

I dont have a big set up-

4 KSB 1.1's and a SC.5 center (no sub yet).

check out this link for yamaha-

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/prodinfo.htm

compare the features of the recievers- the HTR, and RXV lines are identical (except the RXV line is sold through audio-only stores, and the HTR is sold online and in other stores - i.e. SEARS , Best Buy etc.)

for the money I think that they are a good deal.

the RXV620/HTR5460 retails for $499.

I would look for a store which sells klipsch speakers so you can get a good demo of how it will sound for you

good luck

---j.

Hmmm, there is a lot to like between Denon, Marantz and Yamaha. Personally, I am having a hard time switching from my Yammie with its dedicated front effects channels that allow me to tuck the KLF 30's close to the monitor... for a superior front sound stage. Smile.gif~ HornEd

------------------

"HornEd Herd"

Front Six Pack:

KLF 30's R&L + KLF C-7

KSW-15 Sub, SB-2 Effects

Side Surround:

KLF 30 on KSW-12 L/R

Rear Effects:

KLF 10 L/R

Rear Center:

KLF 10 atop KSW-12

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

... and counting!

• 2 weeks later...

ok in all honesty, i have been a denon fan for some time. when i went to upgrade my reciever i did break out and listened to quite a few of the ones mentioned in these forums. the yamaha is not a bad unit, it is just that i really would not use 90% of the dsp modes, which seems to be a highlight of that reciever. i bought the denon 5800 after listening to a dozen or so different models. thuth in the matter is it comes down to personal taste in sound. what matches that taste in concert with your klipsch's! (not to mention possible budget constrants some may face). i tried to keep an open mind when listening to different recievers, but nothing lit my ears up like my denon. word to the wise, just go listen to then, you will find one that does the same to you!

I highly recommend Yamaha. I am not trying to bash Sony, but I have used both Sony and Yamaha receivers. No Keith I did not start with a $400 Sony and than move to a high-end unit. I currently have the RX-V1000. I previously had the Sony STR-V444ES. The only thing I am going to say is there was a noticeable difference between the two units. I prefer the sound of the Yamaha. The term prefer is key. Go out and listen to them yourself. BRING YOUR OWN MUSIC AND DVDS! This makes a difference because you can compare sound to something you have heard and know. Listen at different volume levels and sound fields. Ask to be left to experiment alone. There may be special interests involved with the salesman selling a particular unit.

Yamaha will send you brochures and their website is pretty good. Also the full manual is available via Adobe Acrobat format for your use.