Best audio related bargan ever?

kenratboy

What size drivers do those JBL bass cabinets have??

It sounds like you both got a good deal on them.

One of the best "bang for the buck" deals that I had is my heresies.

$300.01

I got them off of ebay.

I was nearly outbid during the last minute but I managed to come back and win by 1 cent11.gif

It would seem the poor fool put his maximum bid at $300.00

A friend of my dads just gave him a nice pair of JBL L56 speakers.

Apperently the grills are a little messed up but other then that they are near perfect.

Peace, Josh

Each JBL cabinet has two 15" woofers. The cabinet is slightly larger than a Cornwall (so my 2 cabinets "hide" reasonably well behind my Cornwalls). The woofers alone sell for over 300 each at JBL - unit only.

These are capable of over 120db at 30 hz, down only 4db at 25hz (one cabinet only - up to 6db additional with 2 cabs).

IOW, they can rearrange the innards and get you arrested.9.gif

Hard to say which was the best deal ever for me. Was it the Denon AVR-3300 for free? or the Sony 43" RPTV for free? Or the Velodyne CT-120 sub for $100? Or the 4 B&W Solids, a Mirage sub, and a Mirage center for $50? Or the Yamaha DSP-1000 for $40, with a Yamaha tuner and Polk 3-piece sub/satellite speaker system thrown in? Or the Marantz 2230 receiver for $8?

Actually, the best deal was the Chorus/Forte rig for $1000, 'cause that is the best sounding of everything!!!

Doug

----------------

On 2/10/2003 10:57:46 AM dougdrake wrote:

Was it the Denon AVR-3300 for free? or the Sony 43" RPTV for free?

Doug

----------------

Doug,

You mean you couldn't get them to pay YOU for that stuff? I thought you were a real bargain hunter...

2.gif

fini

The best bargain in audio I ever received was my Cornwall 1s. I bought them for $500, listened and loved them for almost 20 years. With shipping and handling, I sold them for almost double. I bought classic Khorns with the profits. The big old horns are by far the best bargain in audio. They solve so many problems that other loudspeakers I listen to had they sound real, live, clear, clean, wide, vibrant, energetic, respectful, complete, accurate and ready for more.

Although I bought my Dynaco Pas-3 pre-amplifier, the upgraded Series II, for $500, I have seen this wonderful and flexible little tube amplifier go for as little as $150 on eBay recently.

My Vibration Isolation Platform cost only a few dollars to make (paving stone and tennis balls) but it makes a wonderful, slightly significant improvement to the CD sound (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/tweaks/).

A demo Klipsch KSW200 sub for $250 would have to make the list. Two channel or six, subs make movies come alive. They change how and why you listen and watch movies and music for ever. They are indeed, as subwoofer aficionado Tom Nousaine claimed, one of the most significant improvements you can make to your movie and music reproduction system for the money.

3.gif

My best audio bargain ever was my free Cornwalls! My dad bought them new in 1979. In '99 he couldn't take them with him when my folks moved to their small townhouse, so he left them with my youngest brother. In 2001 I traded my brother my pair of Magnepans for the Cornwalls, and haven't regretted it...ever!

My next best bargain was getting my free McIntosh MC250 amplifier! My brother won the MC250 on eBay back in '99, but never really had a use for it. In '01 when I traded him my Maggies for our dad's Cornwalls, he had his eye on my Carver TFM-35x amp. I had just sold my McIntosh MC7200 amplifier (due to financial reasons), and was itching to own another Mac amp someday. The Carver (at 250 WPC @ 8 ohms) was definately overkill for the Cornwalls, and my brother needed a powerful amp for the Magnepans, so we swapped out our amps fair and square!

Who says some things in life aren't free?

----------------

On 2/10/2003 9:10:39 PM crash827 wrote:

Uh, they weren't
free
as you gave something of value for them. By definition a trade is the exchange of something of value
for
something of value.

----------------

Maybe I did give him something of value for the CWs and the Mac, but the Carver and Maggies were of NO value to me any longer. Thus, as far as I'm concerned, I got what I wanted for free! End of lesson, and end of discussion! 11.gif

----------------

On 2/10/2003 5:24:57 PM fini wrote:

The thrift stores in downtown Reno suck!

fini
----------------

Those are known as "pawn shops."

The real thrift shops are out in the suburbs in REAL Reno and in Carson City. The ones in Downtown are NOT thrift shops. they are where people with no money dump their stuff and where people with gambling winnings get ripped off.

There are plenty of good thrift shops in Reno.

Kenratboy,

I'm well aware of the "Pawn Shops" (they suck, too). I'm talking about the thrift shops about 4-5 blocks down East 4th Street. WAY picked over, and WAY overpriced. Where are the good-uns? Don't worry, I won't be back up there until next Superbowl...

BTW, I scored a great bargain today: 75 albums for $18.75 (.25 ea.). Nice stuff (Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, Devo, Pink Floyd), mostly in protective sleeves. GOOD thrift shops in my neck o' the woods...

fini