Funny Speakerlab SK listing on FB Marketplace by a Little Rock flipper

avguytx

There’s a flipper in the Minneapolis area who has had the same pair of bookshelf speakers and a center speaker for sale for at least 5 years.  Pretty comical.  He relists them every week or so.  Has never lowered the prices.  Guess he isn’t in too much of a hurry to sell them.

You sent

I replied to this ad because I'm a big Speakerlab fan and use to know the founder. As follows;

Hi: I'm Jim. I am an acquaintance of Pat Snyder, founder of Speakerlab. They were made here in Seattle. I own two pair of Speakerlab Super K's. Klipsch didn't purchase any parts from, or have anything to do with Speakerlab. I have had, and still have many models of the original Speakerlab speakers and am and have been a fan for over 50 years. I see nothing on your speakers that would prevent them from needing a corner to "finish the horn" of the speaker. The corner of the room is the mouth of the bass horn. Without the corner, the speaker would not reproduce a 31.2 HZ frequency. The "finished sides" are just speaker cloth to make them look better. eBay has 2 Genuine Brazilian Rosewood Veneer Sheets on their web site right now and it is expensive. Klipsch didn't have anything to do with Speakerlab going out of business. They didn't have enough Market share and could have been managed better. Paul, owner of "The LoudSpeaker Store" in Kent Washington, owns all of the patents to speaker lab. As much as I wish these speakers would sell for the price your asking, they just don't. You are being made fun of on the Klipsch Community website. FYI. Be well, Jim
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2024 at 7:21 PM, Jim Fitting said:

You are being made fun of on the Klipsch Community website. FYI. Be well, Jim

I think the only part of "making fun" would be the price. They made different versions of the SK, and certain ones wee very close to Klipsch, and sounded very good. The new lower price on the listing might sell. Considering what Khorns are selling for, they could be a good deal. IIRC, @DizRotus had four that he hauled around for dances.

7 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I think the only part of "making fun" would be the price. They made different versions of the SK, and certain ones wee very close to Klipsch, and sounded very good. The new lower price on the listing might sell. Considering what Khorns are selling for, they could be a good deal. IIRC, @DizRotus had four that he hauled around for dances.

I'm not sure "making fun of" was the thing; it's more the false information this guy usually puts about stuff.  Like Klipsch buying parts from Speakerlab for many years, for instance.  Even at the lower price, that's going to be a tough sell.  SK's just don't go flying off the shelf that easily and that price will have to drop more.  The guy takes the worst pictures ever of the same angles.  Why can't he post pics of the back side to show if they're enclosed or not.  Someone did actually build new tops for them, or did that in the beginning, as they never came as a "collared" top nor did the plans show that.  That's what I'm doing with my SK's that I got from Gil's brother Joe...making collared tops, all new grills and using black cloth similar to Klipsch.

11 hours ago, avguytx said:

Someone did actually build new tops for them, or did that in the beginning, as they never came as a "collared" top nor did the plans show that.  That's what I'm doing with my SK's that I got from Gil's brother Joe...making collared tops, all new grills and using black cloth similar to Klipsch.

I would love to see pics when you are done... if you aren't comfortable posting them you can message me with the pix.

How far are you from LR? I would make a trip to see them, but I'm at the other end of TN, next to Chattanooga.