Cinema 1200 does not allow 4k 60z series x

Does anyone have any solutions please I've read around a little and can't find anything specifically for the 1200 I've tinkered with settings on my TV and series x It just simply won't pass through 4k when hooked to the soundbar and soundbar to tv via arc 

2 hours ago, audiophile18 said:

Does anyone have any solutions please I've read around a little and can't find anything specifically for the 1200 I've tinkered with settings on my TV and series x It just simply won't pass through 4k when hooked to the soundbar and soundbar to tv via arc

This article has the information you are looking for:

Cinema 700/800/1200 Video Passthrough Capabilities

The Audio Return Channel (ARC/eARC) is used to pass audio streams to the soundbar when the audio originates from the TV, the TV's external inputs, or any internal apps the TV may have. When the program material originates from the soundbar, as is the case when the source is the soundbar's  HDMI1 or HDMI2 inputs, the connection at the TV behaves as a regular HDMI port.

The most likely cause your soundbar won't pass through 4k, assuming your TV does support 4K video, is your HDMI cable. All HDMI cables definitely are not created equal.

I strongly recommend you use a certified HDMI cable. Considering the small difference in price, I would go with The Ultra High Speed HDMI® Cable

Thanks to the Ultra High Speed HDMI® Cable Certification Program, you can now be sure you are getting a genuine certified cable.

• Thanks 2

On 3/30/2024 at 6:38 PM, KevinB said:

This article has the information you are looking for:

Cinema 700/800/1200 Video Passthrough Capabilities

The Audio Return Channel (ARC/eARC) is used to pass audio streams to the soundbar when the audio originates from the TV, the TV's external inputs, or any internal apps the TV may have. When the program material originates from the soundbar, as is the case when the source is the soundbar's  HDMI1 or HDMI2 inputs, the connection at the TV behaves as a regular HDMI port.

The most likely cause your soundbar won't pass through 4k, assuming your TV does support 4K video, is your HDMI cable. All HDMI cables definitely are not created equal.

I strongly recommend you use a certified HDMI cable. Considering the small difference in price, I would go with The Ultra High Speed HDMI® Cable

Thanks to the Ultra High Speed HDMI® Cable Certification Program, you can now be sure you are getting a genuine certified cable.

Ok after quick looking my series x come with an 2.1 ultra high speed HDMI by default as for the one that came with cinema 1200 it only says high speed with Ethernet seems my problem lies there hopes this works 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, audiophile18 said:

Ok after quick looking my series x come with an 2.1 ultra high speed HDMI by default as for the one that came with cinema 1200 it only says high speed with Ethernet seems my problem lies there hopes this works

The most likely cause your soundbar won't pass through 4k, assuming your TV does support 4K video, is your HDMI cable.

Both the cables you have should be able to handle 4K video:

• if there are no defects.
  • if they conform to the specifications.

I know others have had issues similar to yours that were resolved when they replaced their HDMI cable. There are many brands of new HDMI cables that have defects and don't conform to specifications. That is why there is now a certification program to protect consumers and provide some level of assurance they are getting what they are paying for.

I hope using a certified HDMI cable resolves your issue. If it doesn't, you have eliminated the most likely source of your problem.

There is one more thing you can try and that is to eliminate the soundbar from the equation. 

• Connect your series x directly to the TV and confirm that you have 4K video. Don't worry about the audio.
  • If you have 4K video, verify it still works when you use the same HDMI input where the soundbar is connected.
  • If you don't have 4K video, try your other HDMI cable.
  • If you still don't have 4K video, it is possible but unlikely that both HDMI cables are defective.
  • Check the series x settings and the TV's settings to make sure both devices are configured correctly.

If you don't have 4K video when your series x is connected directly to your TV, then your issue is most likely not related to the soundbar. If there is an issue with one of your HDMI cables, you should be able to identify which one.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, KevinB said:

Both the cables you have should be able to handle 4K video:

• if there are no defects.
  • if they conform to the specifications.

I know others have had issues similar to yours that were resolved when they replaced their HDMI cable. There are many brands of new HDMI cables that have defects and don't conform to specifications. That is why there is now a certification program to protect consumers and provide some level of assurance they are getting what they are paying for.

I hope using a certified HDMI cable resolves your issue. If it doesn't, you have eliminated the most likely source of your problem.

There is one more thing you can try and that is to eliminate the soundbar from the equation. 

• Connect your series x directly to the TV and confirm that you have 4K video. Don't worry about the audio.
  • If you have 4K video, verify it still works when you use the same HDMI input where the soundbar is connected.
  • If you don't have 4K video, try your other HDMI cable.
  • If you still don't have 4K video, it is possible but unlikely that both HDMI cables are defective.
  • Check the series x settings and the TV's settings to make sure both devices are configured correctly.

If you don't have 4K video when your series x is connected directly to your TV, then your issue is most likely not related to the soundbar. If there is an issue with one of your HDMI cables, you should be able to identify which one.

Ok so I used the series x cable to my tv directly and verified that it supports 4K@60hz I also did the same directly from my series x to my tv via the provided HDMI that came the 1200 and it also does support 4K@60hz where does this leave me is it the soundbar itself? I have verified it has the latest firmware and messed with multiple settings via my xbx/tv 

4 minutes ago, audiophile18 said:

Ok so I used the series x cable to my tv directly and verified that it supports 4K@60hz I also did the same directly from my series x to my tv via the provided HDMI that came the 1200 and it also does support 4K@60hz where does this leave me is it the soundbar itself?

Okay, you have confirmed your HDMI cables are good and everything works when the soundbar is out of the equation. Assuming you used the HDMI connection on the TV that the soundbar connects to, that just leaves the soundbar itself. If your soundbar is defective, and still within the warranty period, Klipsch will provide a warranty replacement but they will want evidence of a defect. The results of your tests should provide that evidence.

On 3/30/2024 at 2:49 PM, audiophile18 said:

It just simply won't pass through 4k

Cinema 700/800/1200 Video Passthrough Capabilities states that the soundbar supports 4k60 passthrough at Chroma 4:4:4. That should be enough to confirm there is an issue with your soundbar. You may be able to learn a bit more if you can determine whether your soundbar can pass through 4k30 passthrough at Chroma 4:4:4 or 4k60 passthrough at Chroma 4:4:2. Either way, you should open a case with Klipsch Product Support and begin a dialog with them.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, audiophile18 said:

Ok so I used the series x cable to my tv directly and verified that it supports 4K@60hz I also did the same directly from my series x to my tv via the provided HDMI that came the 1200 and it also does support 4K@60hz  

what's the model-brand of the TV you're using 

4 hours ago, KevinB said:

Okay, you have confirmed your HDMI cables are good and everything works when the soundbar is out of the equation. Assuming you used the HDMI connection on the TV that the soundbar connects to, that just leaves the soundbar itself. If your soundbar is defective, and still within the warranty period, Klipsch will provide a warranty replacement but they will want evidence of a defect. The results of your tests should provide that evidence.

Cinema 700/800/1200 Video Passthrough Capabilities states that the soundbar supports 4k60 passthrough at Chroma 4:4:4. That should be enough to confirm there is an issue with your soundbar. You may be able to learn a bit more if you can determine whether your soundbar can pass through 4k30 passthrough at Chroma 4:4:4 or 4k60 passthrough at Chroma 4:4:2. Either way, you should open a case with Klipsch Product Support and begin a dialog with them.

Thought I would update this forum incase anyone has the same issue as a last resort I decided to try my brothers tv and it immediately worked full 4k@60hz with dolby atmos the said tv is EARC and I have found that to be the issue as mine is only arc seems I'm due for a tv upgrade as mine is pushing 7 years at this point anyways nonetheless thank you for your assistance 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, audiophile18 said:

Thought I would update this forum incase anyone has the same issue as a last resort I decided to try my brothers tv and it immediately worked full 4k@60hz with dolby atmos the said tv is EARC and I have found that to be the issue as mine is only arc seems I'm due for a tv upgrade as mine is pushing 7 years at this point anyways nonetheless thank you for your assistance 

Yes, ARC is definitely not allowing the same bandwidth as eARC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, audiophile18 said:

I decided to try my brothers tv and it immediately worked full 4k@60hz with dolby atmos the said tv is EARC and I have found that to be the issue as mine is only arc

I don't believe that ARC/eARC is your issue.

I have an older Samsung TV that does not have eARC. My Cinema 800 is connected to the TV's HDMI/ARC input and I have full 4K60Hz video.

You could have an issue with your TV's HDMI/ARC input. That is why I said:

22 hours ago, KevinB said:

Assuming you used the HDMI connection on the TV that the soundbar connects to, that just leaves the soundbar itself.

If you used a different HDMI input on your TV when you did your tests, you did not eliminate the TV's HDMI/ARC input as the problem, which has nothing to do with ARC per se. 

18 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Yes, ARC is definitely not allowing the same bandwidth as eARC.

Very true but ARC/eARC is not used for video. The Cinema Series soundbar articles mention eARC because it has the bandwidth required to provide all the audio formats the Cinema 1200 supports as described in Cinema 1200 - Decoding and Playback Modes but that article is a bit misleading. HDMI/ARC has the bandwidth to support a Dolby Digital Plus audio stream which provides higher quality audio (CD quality) when compared to Dolby Digital. Furthermore, Dolby Digital Plus does support Dolby Atmos, albeit at a lower audio quality. Since the Cinema Series soundbars do support Dolby Digital Plus we can listen to Dolby Atmos content via an HDMI/ARC connection as long as the TV can provide it.

• Thanks 1