Sensitivity ?

Iceman

I was comparing Klipsch speakers to other brands. As I have come to undestand it, the sensitivity of a speaker has to do with the amount of power needed to produce a certain SPL. For instance, the RF3 II's have a sensitivity of 98db. Another brand recorded their sensitivity to be 91db(2.83V@ 1 meter). Since the difference is this large between speakers, it leads me to believe that these are measured under different conditions. Klipsch doesn't provide info on the voltage used for determining sensitivity. Does anyone have a clue as to the comparability and validity of these figures? What can you tell me about this? Thank You very much for your time

The test conditions will certainly differ between makers. However, Klipsch is well known for building efficient speakers and is part of its claim to fame. It is not at all surprising that thee would be a 7 dB difference between a moderate priced Klipsch and another brand. The 91 dB speaker is atypically efficient for the norm, too.

I run La Scalas as mains. They are 104 dB/w/m. The difference between them and most on the same amp is astounding.

the speaker companies generally follow the same testing methods....a calibrated microphone is placed 1 meter in front of the test speaker in a chamber with no reflections....

my klf-30's also are 104db at 1 watt at 1 meter...

an interesting side note...for every 6 db of gain you need to double the power required for the same volume...

russ

I understand that a 6 db increase requires double the power. However, what about adding multiple speakers? If you double the speakers, will you increase the decibels or just cover more space for the sound? Also, at what frequencies are these SPL readings recorded? Klipsch seems to have extraordinarily high sensitivity ratings, but I heard they are also characterized at playing high notes very accurately. The kind of music I listen do lacks high notes overall. If the Klipsch produce these volumes for high frequencies, could other less competent(sensitive) speakers be more similar at mid-range frequencies? Thank you very much for your comments, everyone

i stand corrected...

1. KLF-30's - 102 db @ 1 watt @ 1 meter

2. 3 db require a power doubling....but in order to perceive a noticable difference in volume, the human ear needs a 6 db increase.

the result...to perceive an increase in loudness you need to double and then double again the power

by doing the math you can see that inefficient speakers can require HUGE AMOUNTS of power to get the same result as an efficient speaker like klipsch

russ