AMPS, AMPS AND MORE AMPS...

mmiles

Again I am in upgrade mode.

Looking to keep the Yamaha RX-V2200 (for now) and upgrade (assuming it would be an upgrade, actually planning to go separates eventually) to an amp/s for HT. What do you guys think about multiple 2-channel amps?

Here are the choices:

ANTHEM: MCA-5 SeriesII

ARAGON: 2005/2007

ATI: AT1505/AT2505

B&K: 7250 Series II / 7270 Series II

CROWN: K1 (x3)

OUTLAW: 755/770

PARASOUND: HCA-1000 (x3) / HCA-1500 (x3) / HCA-1205A / HCA-2205A

ROTEL: RMB 1075 / RMB 1095

SUNFIRE: CINEMA GRAND II

Any other worth considering? BTW, I cannot afford LEXICON, PROCEED or KRELL so please save your breath and some finger skin!

Regards,

Mike

IMO, stick to Rotel or Parasound. I can personally vouche for both as excellent matches for Klipsch. I would stay away from ATI(OUTLAW too?), because even though I am an old SAE owner decades ago, and I feel they still make a quality product, it just doesn't seem to be the best match for Kilpsch (again MY OPINION, others are free to disagree). As far as muliple two channel amps, they occupy twice the space, generate more heat and complicate interconnect issues - if those things don't bother you, they are fine.

Why not use older Yamaha M-80, M-85, or MX-800, MX-1000U amplifiers they have tremendous build quality and run Class A up to about 30 watts what more could you want, tube like sound out of a SS amp. They would match the theme of your HT perfectly. They are always available on eBay. I run three outboard 2-channel amplifiers off my Denon with fantastic results. The puny power transformers in even the most expensive receiver's cannot compare to an outboard 2-channel amplifier. The yamaha amps I mentioned all have dual power supplies in them so they are like dual mono construction.

I currently have the MCA2, and will be purchasing the MCA3 as soon as I get my RC7. The MCA2 sounds great with the RF7's, clean power! The RF7's are a very revealing speaker, and I cannot hear any noise or unwanted sounds during music or movies.

I am just beginning to build my HT, so I haven't had the opportunity to demo other amps. I am quite pleased with the advice that I got from my salesperson when I purchased the amp.

I hope this helps.

Jim

----------------

On 2/20/2003 8:10:23 AM Frzninvt wrote:

Why not use older Yamaha M-80, M-85, or MX-800, MX-1000U amplifiers they have tremendous build quality and run Class A up to about 30 watts what more could you want, tube like sound out of a SS amp. They would match the theme of your HT perfectly. They are always available on eBay. I run three outboard 2-channel amplifiers off my Denon with fantastic results. The puny power transformers in even the most expensive receiver's cannot compare to an outboard 2-channel amplifier. The yamaha amps I mentioned all have dual power supplies in them so they are like dual mono construction.

----------------

I could't agree more!

Being the owner of the a Yamaha M-85 it is clearly perfectly mated with Klipsch speakers.Very warm & full,closest thing to tubes I have used in my system with the added punch of Solid State.

FRVNINVT -do you have any of these Yamahas?

Jeff

Jeff,

For a short time I did have a Yamaha M-80 running my Belle Klipsch'es. The only reason I parted with it was to acquire two matching DBX BX-3MkII 2/3/4 channel configurable power amplifiers which more closely matched the theme of the Home Theater that I wanted to put together. I loved the Yamaha M-80 and have been very tempted to purchase a trio of the MX-1000/1000u amplifiers but I have been very pleased with the DBX amps. The DBX amps are more flexible since they can run in 2, 3, or 4 channel configurations making them ideal for Home Theater set-ups. You cannot go wrong with the Yamaha M-80, M-85, MX-800, or MX-1000/1000u they are extremely clean and clear amps and provide all the class "A" watts that you would need to get your Klipsch speakers "loud!"

hi mmiles

I did all my home theater with seperate power

2 channel power amplifiers, stealing a page from my sound reinforcement days.

My recomendation to someone earlier in here was BRYSTON.

Built like a cement truck,but nothing musical

left unturned.

I purchased a 2BLP 60/wch for my surrounds.

Everytihing is split,.right back to the line cord,and if you go for the 2BLP-pro, you get

ballanced XLR ins and level matching controls.

sonically the home and pro are identical.

1150 is my last check on a home 2B, but you might be able to get a broken in "pro" at a lesser price.

Hope this helps

I've also given some serious consideration to 3 x Crown K1's ($995 at chucklevins.com).

However look at my post on PARASOUND-HALO AMPS (the one with all the hits, not the 2 posting duds on my part). I really like the A-23.

Only time (and money) will tell!

Regards,

Mike

Outlaw seems to be pretty popular with Klipsch owners and I haven't heard anyone single Outlaw out as a bad fit.

I'm very interested in the Outlaw 7100/950 because it's around $1600 for the pair...seems like a great value.

You will get better customer service post sale from outlaw than from most brands and their retailers combined.

On your list there is ONE best buy,and it the Sunfire.It sounds better with Klipsch then all the listed and has much more power then any of the competitors too.

The Sunfire whips them all(yes even my ATI 1505 and 2505)

To do better you have to get real and look at Bryston,Celeste and BAT multichannel amps.Yeah the BAT bests them all,besides ubber FPB and MC class Krell monsters.

I would have to sell my Vette to buy the Krell, BAT, Lexicon, Proceed or Mark Levensin gear and that ain't gonna happen.

In a previous posting I have found a Parasound - HALO A51 for $2,150.00 or the A52 for $1,350.00. Sunfire is appealing however. The next challange is trying to audition the amps in my little hick town. You have to drive 2 hours + for any of this stuff.

Regards,

Mike