Anybody heard Sherbourn 5/1500 or ATI-1505 amps?

LoLo

The Sherbourn is a VERY well thought of amplifier, and gets great reviews at every opportunity. I have not heard the unit, but I've never seen one of these offered used that wasn't snapped up in a day or two. It has a rep for being "smooth", and a very good solid state match for Klipsch.

The ATI is similar in sonic signature to the Outlaw amplifiers - which tend to be on the "brighter" side - not necessarily the best Klipsch match (although some, including myself, use them here). Depending on the preamp and other components in the system, the Outlaw can be downright harsh. I am awaiting delivery of a used McIntosh 2 x 50, in an attempt/experiment to get smoother amplification.

Given the choice between the two, I would go with the Sherbourn (although the Sherbourn will likely cost more).

I have both the ATI1505 and 2505,mate very well with Klipsch R series(in my case RF7's,RC7,RF5's).

The 1505 has all the punch any same owner will ever need.I use the 2505 for the front RF7's and the center,1505 ised for rear and side sourrounds.

Power,power and more efortless power.Not edgy or agressive at all

ATI power amps are better built,the Sherbourn is a bit smoother(I do nt like the Rotel like construction).

If you want a good deal more refined and even better built then Bryston,Perreaux or SimAudio are the options.I also have the 4XXX series SimAudio and their W5.Awesome amps,very close to Krell.

Side by side in a A/B test the SimAudio discontinued 4070 fares damn well against the Krell FPB600 powerhouse!

• 7 years later...

I currently own the Sherbourn LDS 12/900. I think it sounds fantastic. I imagine the 5/1500 probably sounds equally as good or better. A word of caution with amplifiers. If one is purchasing an amplifier, the number one characteristic it should exhibit is transparency in my opinion. If it adds any coloration, or noise to the recording that is being played back, it is essentially altering the original production of the music. One should search for an amplifier that sounds "invisible" rather than bright, warm, soft, etc. Additionally, as far as speakers are concerned... when speaking to a salesperson, if he/she asks you "what kind of music to you listen to?" or something of that nature, that should be your first indication that you are in the wrong store. Ideally, speakers should not favor any frequency. They should also be "invisible" sounding. Often, I hear of individuals who use one speaker for audio and another for cinema. If the equipment is transparent, then this should not be necessary. So, the existence of the "Klipsch" sound, may not be good sign. In reality, if one is listening to Jimmy Hendrix, it should sound like Jimmy Hendrix rather than Jimmy Hendrix and Co. I prefer to listen to the artist, not the manufacturer, in other words.

Well I can attest to the sonics, durability and sheer horsepower of the Sherbourn as I have a 7/2100A. It is clean, smooth and accurate. I in fact replaced two rare and expensive DBX BX-1 power amplifiers with the single Sherbourn. At one point it was running 4 Klipschorn's, a La Scala and a pair of Belle Klipsch and would drive them to insane levels without a hint of distortion. I got a steal of a deal on it practically new on Audiogon for $1500, customer support is great I called to get a new carton for it as the original got roughed up in shipping since the unit weighs 115lbs. I got to speak to the owner directly. I have been extremely pleased with the Sherbourn it is a beast!