K-Horn, 290 Driver, 311 Horn

Q-Man

JMON,

To add to what djk said about the 511,& 811 horns. The throat size of the 511, & 811 is 1". The K-400 is 3/4", and the 311 is 1-1/4" and actually measures 1-3/8" like the 290. The 511 is a 500Hz horn, 811 a 800Hz horn and the 311 a 300Hz horn. I never heard the 811, with it being an 800 hz horn, I don't have any bass horns that go that high. I've tried the 511 with the K-55 driver and the University T-30 driver. Look at Installing Mikes Altec 511 Horns under Updating Older Speakers. I prefered the sound of the 511 and K-55 driver over the k-400 with the LaScala. If I recall correctly the 511 measured all right at 400 Hz. Read the post to make sure.

The 511 is a cheap mod to use with the k-55 and seems to improve the midrange a little. A cheaper and better sounding mod is to use the University Cobreflex (250 Hz.) horn with the K-55. I dislike using a horn with a higher cut-off frequency then the crossover point. I found this out the hard way

when I tried the 805B horn and 288 driver. This combo came highly recommended. I think many are fooled by the instant improvement in the clarity in the midrange sound. You have to listen to material in the 350 to 500Hz range to find the dip. The K-55, K-400, and Klipsch network will sound better or louder here by about 3db. To be honest if you don't A/B the material in this area over and over again you might not notice it, but it makes a big difference in the voicing of the speaker. Once I learned that it was there it drove me nuts. That is the only reason that I gave up on the ALK network. The 511 would be a good mod for the Belle with it's higher crossover point. The Klipschorn bass horn dies at 350 to 400Hz and needs a low driver and horn to sound it's best.

djk,

I emailed Great Plains and asked Bill about what you said. I'll post his reply. I hope your wrong. I asked you this before and you never answered, do you have any good 290-K drivers that you want to get rid of?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

djk,

I just heard back from Bill at Great Plains Audio.

He wasn't too pleased with me asking those questions. I hope he isn't upset with me, because he has been a great deal of help to me via email and phone calls. I can call Great Plains and I'm actually able to talk to him.

Bill's comment,

"If I tell you that I will build a 290, it will be exactly the same as the 290 we made at Altec." "If I made a pancake version I would have told you so." " I would be very interested in who is telling you this please."

I will be buying my next three 290-K drivers from him.

Q.

Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster

Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

http://nleinternet.net/alteclansingunofficial/index.html

"Because Bill @ GPA did not have the tooling for the pot casting, he could not make the real 299 for ALPro. So, he's making a "pancake" version."

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=26066&pageNo=5&num=30&sessionID={DC8DA73E-BDF0-471E-838B-CBBC3DA85C30}

djk,

I don't really know what to say. I looked at the 299 Altec driver and a couple others on the Altec Pro site before. Yes they are the pancake kind. If Bill tells me that the 290 that he will be making is going to have the snout then I have to believe him. How can he say that and send me another type? Time will tell, he's not set up to build the 290 yet.

Hi Qman or john,

May I see a photo show the other side of transformer so that I can copy the setting.

I need to see clearly as I cannot solder it myself , I have to ask the technician to do it for me, better with a photo.

It is really a good work, anything special about the wire?

Thanks

SZE

As long as Bill understands that you have gone to the time and trouble to find the 311 horns, will be crossing at 400hz/6dB, I'm sure he knows you need the 'snout', and if he says he is going to make them that way for you, I'm sure he will.

Most new pro sound installs crossover high enough that the 'snout' doesn't matter. I'm sure this, and the extra cost, came into consideration when making the drivers for altecpro.

I may be doing something that I thought that I would never do. I might be selling my two pairs of Klipschorns. I like this mod so much that I will never go back the the Klipschorn tops and networks. I might as well build myself the bass horn bottoms and sell my complete speakers. It would be a waste to just store them, unless I save them for the kids.

Jim,

I do have a price in mind fo each pair, but I can't see selling them on the forum. I would rather put them in the local paper and avoid the shipping. But when I get my bass horns built I will post the options available and the prices.

I'm in Florida and would help on delivery in this state.

• 1 month later...

jt1stcan,

Mark doesn't visit the forum too much, so he might

not answer your question for a while.

I brought this old post up for you to read, there were a few more written about Klipschorn horn and driver changes. Look under odds and mods. I think it was called Installing Mike Lindsey's 511 horns or something like that.

• 3 months later...

The 311-90 is 28-1/2" wide by 12-3/4" high. Too big if your thinking of your LaScala build. Altec also has a 311-60 horn that would work for a LaScala. It is also a 300Hz. horn, but it only has a 60 degree dispersion (sp?).

There is a pair of the 311-60 horns on ebay right now.

Just got off the roof fixing a hole...more to do tomorrow...what a PITA!

I saw those 311-60's, but the 60 degree thing bothered me. The 90's may work. I need to do some room measuring. My cabinets have yet to be built, and probably will not be an exact clone anyway if I build 'in' the vented base extension. It wouldn't bother me if the cabinets had a big wide head on them to put the horns in! LOL!

How deep are they???

Thanks for the info.

CRAP!!!! Where did my message go?!?!?! I spent a half hour writng a reply to you Q-man, it it all got sucked into cyberspace ...I'll have to comback and repost later...need to go watch MNF!

later...

GO BUC's!

Ok, let me try this again...

I followed the thread on the Cobreflex horns, but failed to come up with any ideas on how to cleanly mount them in a cabinet. I also thought they were limited to 500hz. I think I'd rather use the 511b if I have to. I looked at the 311-60, shot some laser lines in my room to give me an idea of the 60 degree dispersion. I'd have to play some games w/ speaker facing to optimize them for the room, but that may present other 'issues'... Too bad too, as they're 20 inches wide...What to do, what to do...I may cop out and use the JBL 2123!

I have another question, hence the reason for the attachment, (but now I see I can paste) Anyway Do you have any idea what these may be? It's a shot in the dark as I have very little technical data on them. What I have is 15", 4 ohm, 60 oz magnet, 2 layer 2 in. VC, 190Wrms, and they sold for $130. The RED suround really throws me. I 'think' they may be mfg. by PYLE, but not certain. Here's what they look like.

13438a.jpg13438.jpg

The basket and magnet look like the newer K-33. This one looks like they removed the label on it. Any clues? Ever seen a K-33 that looked like this? I'm tempted to buy a pair at $65 ea, but don't want to fill up my garage if they don't work out!

Thanks again.

post-13284-13819246598276_thumb.jpg