Dale Walker's Modified Dynaco Mk III - Nice Work!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DAVE: I paid $550.00 usd for the amps off e-bay plus $50.00 to ship them to craig. You can check with him on a price to do all the mod's . If they sound half as good as craig and you claim then they are a good inexpensive tube investment.

All in all with the amps and pre-amp together you'd be looking at $2500.00 to $3000.00 for a set up like this one. That all hindges on picking up some mark III's that are in decent shape ( don't need trany's ) .

Last night i could'nt resist pulling off the bottom cover of the pre-amp. WOW very nice detailed work inside !!!! . I'm positive it's going to perform as well as it looks. What a craftmans jean-francios is .

CRAIG : I'm nursing my sweetheart right now, she's laying on the couch beside me on the computer. We've been at the hospital all day , after two kids her nice 38 b's went to DD'S so today she had a breast reductions done . I've been at the hospital since 10 this morning and we just walked in the door 20 minutes ago . Tarra is tucked in bed ( on the couch) and sleeping off the effects of being put under for 5 hours.

Cheers for now , i better keep an eye on her tonight .

I'm very curious about the chroming on the transformers. I was showing the pics to a friend of mine. He agreed they are a work of art. He thought it was odd though, because he said the chrome will work as an insulator. He is a vintage VW buff, and said folks who chrome the valve covers on their VWs see a 30 degree rise in engine temp. I would hate to see the trannies get to hot. Don't see many chrome wood stoves either.

But they look soooo coool!

Marvel

MARVEL: There are lots of new and vintage amps with chrome trany covers. Chrome is " metal plating " maybe a mil at most so i forsee no problems. The trani's are exposed to disapate heat, lots of amps have the transformers covered in with metal boxes and they seem to be fine.

I think the tubes will get a lot hotter than the transformers ever will. The heat sink is also off to the open end ( stacked plates ) so most of the heat should take the path of least resistance.

Then again i've been wrong before . lol

My imput was little more than cleaning and detailing ( and supplying the cash).

Craig is the one that deserves the handshake. He put a lot of time and effort into these two mark III'S and fell in love with there sound with every change made. The underside wiring looks as good as the top and a lot of time and thought went into there modifications.

I'm sure craig could post a good paragraph on all the parts and changes he has made from the stock configuration.

Thanx once again to craig.

Heck dale don't thank me yet !! Lets see how you like them first.

I booby trapped them so you would have to send them back 2.gif

My St-70 is coming along well but it just does not grab and control the speakers with the same thirst the Mark III's did. I think I'll go down to the shop and install the Jenson Paper in Oils in the St-70 and see what that does. DBflash gave me a incredible deal on 4 of them !!

Craig

Did you get the Copper Foil Jensen or the Alum? The copper foils are the way to go so I hoped you got those. I dont think the Copper Foil Jensen will do any better in the bottom per say, but they should be very nice in the mids and top end, where they sound about as natural as anything I have heard. For those that say capacitors dont really make that much difference, the change can be very rewarding. Still, a good circuit with good caps will do better than a poor circuit with supreme caps. One of the qualities of the ST-70 is the less than hammer-lock bass. The KT-88 has a more tight bass but I dont think it has quite the rich, big sound of the EL-34. Even so, the bass is not the Dynaco ST-70 strong point, even with mods (although it can get a hell of a lot better). Hope the Jensen's bring some magic though.

kh

ps- we need to get that site a bit mor magical too...as in done! heh. I just finished a monster project so have some time before this other hell deal, another non-audio affair that pays way more ducats but sure isnt as amusing.

AH!!!! These babys are purring like a kitten !!

I never really thought these tube amps would have the bass punch that they do. I've yet to find a tune they can't keep up with.

Bidding on some NOS 6550 tung-sol just for the hell of it, intested to see if they make any noticable change or not.

with the amount of spare tubes i've bought latly, i'll need to build a cabinet just to hold them all . lol