Oiling my New Cornwalls

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OZZZ

Look in the older files of this section. The same question was asked last fall, and Boiled Linseed oil is the answer thanks to our resident Heritage expert HDBR.

I have about 4 coats on mine now and they look BRAND NEW again. The bookend woodgrain on the front of my Khorns looks awesome.

JM

yup, this question came up just as i bought my corns, and the venerable hdbrbuilder said that boiled linseed oil was the answer, and knowing he is the guru i did as he suggested and wow! my corns look like they were fresh out of the box, and the odor is not even offensive, it reminds me as i walk into my home that my corns are waiting to play 12.gif

OK, guys...this is getting a bit overboard now...LOL! "Guru"?..."Venerable"?..."Expert"? I am certainly not in any of these categories...LOL! I just worked there for a time and learned what they did and used...ok? I was just another blue-collar working stiff who happened to pay a bit of attention to what was going on around him...nothing more than that. But, thanks, anyway! You guys are causing my hats to become too small! LOL!

----------------

On 3/8/2003 11:04:31 PM HDBRbuilder wrote:

...waxes just clog up the pores of the wood and make a mess you have to later remove.

----------------

Man, tell me about it! ALWAYS put a base under your "mood candles"!

fini

Its nice to see that our resident "Guru"..."Venerable"..."Expert" on all things Klipsch is a humble soul who wishes to be referred to as "just another blue-collar working stiff" like the rest of us. BUT, I believe that we Heritage owners know who has the info we need and only wish to honor you and your knowledge. Long live HDBR...The King!!

King HDBR Sir - Got my CWs back yesterday. They cleaned the cabinets with woodsoap, vacumed the insides, cleaned the horns with q-tips and cleaned the grills with air pressure. They haven't looked this good since I brought them home with me 23 years ago. They look BRAND NEW! BTW, they are stamped on the back of each with the initials MM KA. Serial #s are 24U332 and 24U333. I assume that was you. One question: Should I use boiled linseed oil on zebrawood as you would on other veneers?

Moon,

You just go down to Lowe's or Home Depot or wherever and get yourself a can of "boiled linseed oil"...that is what it is called and what the label will say. A gallon of it runs a few bucks and is enough to last most of a lifetime oiling a pair of speakers.

Garymd,

Zebrawood is naturally a bit oily to begin with...but if the veneer appears dry...use a very LIGHT application of boiled linseed oil...providing the finish is an oil finish to begin with!! Most of the zebrawood speakers were laquered tho...so if laquered, don't oil them!

If there is an "A" stamped in, then that "A" stands for me...the other initial beside it was my helper's initial...and I had a large amount of helpers over that 7 year period(76-83)...and I can't remember all of their names! LOL! I had at least three with a "K" as their initial code...one was a Kevin, one was a Keith, the other was a KAREN(she was a cutie, too!). Some of them I would like to forget, too! LOL! Everytime I needed a helper they just sent over a newbie to be trained by me. There were TWO general exceptions to that in all of that 7-year period...one was Bois d'arc(Robert Wyatt), who came on board there about the same time I did and who often helped me...and the other was Steve...who was my helper...then my partner for most of my last two years there. Bad part of that is that these newbies often left the company within a few months...so I had lots of helpers over a 7-year period...some good...some not so good...but nothing left my work table and headed to the sanding room if it wasn't built right! My standard was to build it RIGHT the first time around or don't build it at all! And I had some helpers who just NEVER COULD get that through their heads!!...but...nothing from my worktable EVER got to the sanding room unless it was "RIGHT"...no matter how ticked-off my helpers got over that!!...and believe me...some of em got REALLY ticked-off over it, too! LOL! Generally-speaking, my initial(the "A") was the first initial of the pair...but sometimes the helper decided his initial should be up front...I just let it ride...until the final assembly foreman came over and chewed the helper out for me...LOL! I figured that it was no use in ALL the newbies' butt-chewings coming from me...might as well let some of the other "old hands" get a few bites in on occassion!! LOL!