Looking for SACD/DVD-A player

mattbugz

Hi all,

Please don't laugh, but I'm currently using my Xbox as the DVD/CD player for my HT. Therefore, I'm in the market for a SACD/DVD-A player within the $500-800 price range. I was hoping to gather some opinions on brands/models with regards to price/performance/reliability. Currently, I've been looking at the following companies: Onkyo, Sony and Pioneer

Please let me know if there is a brand/model I'm unknowingly omitting and should consider. I've also looked at a few online resources, but please let me know if there are other resources I should pursue as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hmm...both suggestions out of the price range.

I'd look at the Pioneer Elite 45A. About 5 bills. (BTW, for some reason, I love to tell people the Elite products only carry warranties when purchased from a B+M...not from an online retailer).

fini

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll definitely keep those models in mind when I make my purchase. Which by the way, is going to be slightly delayed. :) Long story short, I could not resist the Tweeter clearance. I replaced my fronts w/ RF5's and moved the RB3's to the back as the surrounds.

If you can live with just DVD-A rather than both DVD-A/SACD (and I'm assuming you can since you mentioned Sony and they only support SACD), take a look at the Denon-1600. It's getting great reviews, and it does not suffer from the chroma bug which is present in the Pioneer units (although admittedly not an issue, I understand, unless you are using very large front screen project -- too small to notice otherwise).

I believe the Panasonic RP-90/91 have some fans on this board, also. You might find a good deal on the 90 since it has been replaced by the 91.

Doug

This month's Sound & Vision has a report card on the status of DVD-A and SACD. They feel that while both have made some strides, it appears that SACD is pulling ahead in terms of releases, availability of decent hardware, and promotion. However, they gave them both a C+ overall, with still much room to grow.

Seems the biggest gripe is lack of cohesive, consistent bass management without using an outboard bass controller like the Outlaw ICBM, and lack of speaker-distance settings.

I was gung ho to pick up a combo unit, but I'm thinking maybe the thing to do is buy a $200-250 Sony and get into the format a bit. Then, when it's time to throw it out for the inevitable advances that are being made I won't feel so bad.

DD