Who all here listens primarily to Classical music?

Deang

Well, since I listen to all kinds of music, count me as "Primarily" classical. The reason is simple. Since "classical" music accounts for most of the music in existence, it's what I listen to mostly. OTOH, I listen to jazz, country, rock n' roll, Sacred Harp, folk, Chinese classical, ethnic, polkas, ad nauseum; in short, my criteria is great music, well performed, accurately reproduced.

Crikey, I love it all, and cannot understand those with boundries.

Dave

my criteria is great music, well perfromed, accruately reproduced.

Oh oh.... 6.gif

I spend a lot of my listening time on classical, though I would not say primarily. I also love some jazz and a lot of prog rock. What's important for me is the composition itself...it's gotta go somewhere or I get bored. OTOH, there are times when I could just mellow out with some mindless new age or spacy chords drifting around aimlessly...but for the most part, it's the composition. I also have a preference for music in odd meters...thus my preference for jazz writers like Bill Bruford, Don Ellis or Dave Brubeck...prog rock like Gentle Giant, older Yes, Older Genesis, all King Crimson, UK, Jean-Luc Ponte, etc...

So I could have put this answer in any of your 3 catagories...

Well I suppose you could put me down as a primarily Classical listener.v That is not to say that the majority of my listening is to classical but rather that I listen to more classical than any other genre probably closely followed by Rock and Roll and then by Soul, Reggae, many forms of female vocals, blues.....

In other words classical is probably about 30% of my listening but that is a larger proportion than anything else...

I listen to classical about 60% of the time. Jazz- 30% (IMO, jazz and classical music aren't all that diffeent), Blues/Classic Rock- 9%, and the remaining 1%- everything else.

The toughest thing about listening to classical is finding well engineered recordings. The same goes for classi rock and jazz, too.

I'd have to say I listen to Classical music the majority of the time as well. I love all the large symphonies from all the major composers, but it's not always the orchestral symphonies that I most enjoy. Rather, my all time favorite music is written and performed on a particular musical instrument; that being the classic pipe organ! I'll listen to organ compositions from all periods, from the earliest known organ works of the 12th and 13th centuries, throughout all the Baroque period (mainly anything composed by J.S. Bach, Vivaldi, Buxtehude, Handel, Pachelbel, Purcell, Walther, and others), the Classical period (Mozart and Hayden, and works by all of Bach's sons), the Romantic period (Franck, Widor, Vierne, Dupre, Gigout, Reger, Mendelssohn, Alain, Guilmant, Liszt, Brahms, etc.), and organ transcriptions of large symphonic works (Beethoven, Wagner, Debussy, Mahler, Tchaikovsky, Vaughan-Williams, Karg-Elert, Dvorak, Saint-Saens, Grieg, Schumann, Rachmaninoff, and on 'n' on...). I grew up on organ music, having constantly been around these massive instruments with my dad, having learned all about their mechanics and how they operate, so I guess I have an appreciation for them. I've grown to love "The King of Instruments" and all it's music. As a footnote, I also like the early 20th century theatre organ music from the silent film era, performed on WurliTzer, Kimball, Barton, Moller, Page, and Morton theatre pipe organs.

I also like jazz, the blues, new age, and good ol' rock 'n' roll from the late 60's on through the 80's and 90's (Fleetwood Mac, U2, The Cranberries, Phil Collins, The Innocence Mission, etc., etc.)4.gif

I'd also have to say that I primarily listen to Classical style music, I mostly prefer symphonies, my favorite are Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, but I'm always looking for others that I enjoy. 3.gif

Hey jt1stcav, what Classic pipe organs compositions would you recommend? I would be interested in a few pieces.

-Dave

I have always enjoyed Bach's Toccata & Fugue on organ. For those of you not familiar with the piece, it was used a lot in the old horror movies. It is POWERFUL! I have been married twice, and I cannot understand why neither wife wanted that played at the wedding...If you can forget the horror movies and it's tie to them, it's a very appropriate piece. Come to think of it, with the horror movie ties it was very appropriate for first wife 14.gif !

Well, Andy mentioned the most obvious, Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565. Beside the sad fact that this piece has been regulated to early horror films, it is a very structured piece. And when played by a reputable organist, it is full of rhythm and energy not easily duplicated by other organ compositions, past or present!

Other notable organ works include:

Franck: Piece Heroique

Widor: Toccata from the Fifth Symphony

Vierne: Finale from the Sixth Symphony

These selections and others can be found on the CD:

"Virgil Fox"

1990 LaserLight Star Collection, 15 313

This original 1977 LP recording (under a different label) is famous throughout the organ world in that is was the late Dr. Fox's last commercial recording, using Direct-To-Disc technology, along with simultaneously recording on both analog and PCM digital tape, making this recording at the Garden Grove Community Church, CA on the Ruffatti pipe organ "The Very First Digital Recording in the United States." How times have changed...I have a Panasonic SV-3700 DAT recorder that can digitally record my dad's residence pipe organ he built in 1983, and it's no big deal!

reisling, chardonnay, burgundy, cabernet, barbera d'alba, pinot grigio, vouvray ..... life has been an adventure.

As to listening, Jazz at the Philharmonic (45's), Dave Brubeck (33's, tape, CD's), Dukes of Dixieland (33's), Music till Dawn (classical, radio 50's & 60's), Stan Kenton, Deustche Grammophone and Phillips (33's, the B's, the Russians, and fine vinyl), Genesis, Billy Joel, Elton John, Peter Gabriel, Kingston Trio, Jackie Gleason, Stan Getz, taped organ recitals, Charlie Byrd, Kind of Blue, Miles Ahead, Gerry Mulligan, Benny Goodman, Desifanado, Chuck Mangione, Laurindo Almeido, Desparado, Down by the Sunset Grill, All My Ex's Live in Texas, The Kinks, Paul Simon, The Eagles, The Beatles, Eric Clapton, Turandot, Madame Butterfly, Macbeth, Verdi, Mozart, Puccini, Andre Bocelli, Foreigner, Sarah Brightman, Andrew Lloyd Weber, Scott Joplin, George Shearing, Marian McPartland, Turk Murphy, Pete Rugolo, and on and on ....

How one does choose what which music, entree, or wine?

If you enjoy listening, you'll taste them all!!!

I have that Fox recording. I'm more of a Biggs fan and have probably 100 of his albums going all the way back to a 78 from 1947.

I suggest you get a hold of a copy of "French Symphonic Organ Works" Towerhill TH-71988 with Stewart Wayne Foster playing the Ontko/Young 71 rank organ at First Presby, Charleston, SC. Stewart was winner of the First Dallas International Organ competition in 1999, and I got to record him doing a piano recital about that time. He is pretty awesome, and the program here has a bit more diversity than the usual Franck/Langlais/Duruffle/etc. war horses.

Since you like theatre organ, I think you will like this one. Double swell division and loads of those flowery French flutes, trompettes, and such.

We have a lot in common, though I didn't have the good fortune to have a pipe organ in the house. I've spent a lot of time crawling through organ innards just for grins. Great to be inside a swell box while it's played. :-)

I'm co-chair of my church's organ committee, and our instrument is under construction by Patrick Murphy in Philadelphia for early fall delivery. Case design is by Frank Fremel, who just finished the Los Angelels Roman Cathedral last year, and the tonal director is Dan Garland, who is getting to be increasingly well known. However, I am a bit concerned as his other instruments seem a bit buried to my ears. No hornhead can tolerate a buried organ! Sounds like Bose in a funeral home!!!

Dave

Mallett, another organ fan within these hallowed Klipsch halls! I gave Andy that list in case he's not too familiar with compositions for organ. I'll have to check out that Towerhill recording for sure!

I've always liked Fox's unconventional, romantic renditions of all his performances of Bach and others (I also have the original LPs of that Fox CD: "The Fox Touch", Vol. I & II, on the Crystal Clear Recordings label), but you do have to give E. Power Biggs kudos for all his early radio broadcasts on the famous Harvard Flentrop organ at the Busch Hall, introducing the organ to millions, and advocating the historical, mechanical action organ and its tonal qualities. I own just about every recording these two organists have ever released (wish I had 'em all).

Now that's the way to listen to a pipe organ! I've helped my dad tune many organs as a kid (I was mostly holding the keys at the console, but I had a few opportunities to actually tune an instrument); I remember back in '79 Simon Preston was guest organist at the First Congregational Church in New Britian, CT, and I had to help Mike Foley of Foley-Baker, Inc. tune the 3 manual Gress-Miles organ before the recital. After the organ was completely in tune (about a 3-4 hour job), Mike and I stood in the middle of the Great Division while Mr. Preston played the first half of Bach's Passacaglia and Fugue in C Minor, and then the fugue of Bach's "Dorian" Toccata and Fugue in D...dammit all, that was a major high for a gawky teenager like myself!

Just for kicks, last year my younger brother and I took my Shure microphones and hooked 'em up to my dad's dbx mic preamp and my Panasonic SV-3700 DAT recorder, and placed them both inside the single chamber to our dad's home-built 2-19 pipe organ...right in front of the Great 8' Trumpet rank, and (attempted) to play the instrument at "Grande Tutti" (known as "pulling out all the stops"). Neither of us are organists by any stretch of the imagination (we just kinda play by ear; my brother also plays the accoustic bass), but we managed to rip off the D Minor Toccata and the final notes to Vierne's Finale...after botching up these classics, we hooked up the DAT recorder to my then completed system and played it back to near "live" levels through my Cornwalls...

WOW! 9.gif

My dad worked for a small organ building firm here in Lakeland (Klug & Schumaker, Inc.) in the early 80's, but business sucked here in Florida, and they went belly-up. While with K&S, he built our small pipe organ in the family residence; the 19 ranks are housed in a single expressive chamber in our 2-car garage; the console sits in the formal living room. He now works full time for Foley-Baker, Inc. up in CT (Mike Foley tried to get my dad to work for him permanently since '74; my dad finally did in '99!) Unfortunantly, the family organ doesn't get much use since my folks moved up to CT in '99, and it needs a good tuning again. I would love to get a really good digital recording of our organ before my dad sells it (he's thinking about it, and me and my brothers who now live in the house could use the garage space)!

Edit: Good luck with your church's new instrument. Installations can take a good amount of time...hope this new organ sounds better than his previous offerings.

Foley-Baker just won a $1,000,000 contract to restore the big 1949 Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company instrument at the famous Symphony Hall, Boston. Last year they completed the restoration of another '49 Aeolian-Skinner, the 235 rank instrument at The First Church of Christ, Scientists (The Mother Church), also in Boston.

DON'T SELL IT TOO SOON! My mother-in-law lives in Tampa and we will certainly be down there in the next year. Let's record that booger! I'll bring my MBS-4 with 24/176.4 ability and a couple of ribbon mics. Perhaps I can talk Ann Stephenson-Moe (wife of noted composer Daniel Moe) who is organist at Redeemer, Sarasota (where my church purchased our organ) into playing, unless you know someone better.

THAT will make an interesting recording!

Dave

----------------

On 3/27/2003 5:43:34 PM markw wrote:

..."What would you consider to be the best recording of Holst's
The planets
?"

----------------

I don't have a SACD player, but I've heard that Chesky Records just put out a SACD recording of The Planets, conducted by Dennis Russell Davies and the Bruckner Orchester Linz, with the Ladies of Mozart Choir Linz.

My favorite CD of The Planets is performed by the Scottish National Orchestra, conducted by Sir Alexander Gibson, and the Women's Voices of the SNO Chorus (1987 Musical Heritage Society, Inc. MHS 416514L).

I am another classical fan. I listen to (Middle Ages through Baroque), pipe organ, as well as all of the prog rock bands that Andy referred to (just won a copy of KCs Lark's CD on eBay to replace my vinyl copy.)

I have listened to Pipedreams for years... I am lucky as I am from Minnesota, where the show is produced. Very high quality FM, especially on my Yamaha T-85.

A note about the Toccata & Fugue in D minor. According to Pipedreams, this piece was written and performed by Bach when he was 18 as an audition piece for his first big job as a church organist!

Nothing like pipe organ on my Chorus/VMPS LSW combo!

Scott