Donations needed

Deang

Dean, so far, I can only find 2 Telefunkens in my stash (I could have sworn I have more, probably buried somewhere they're not supposed to be). They are diamond bottom smooth plates, but they're 12AU7 & the lettering is nearly worn off. I can part with these if anyone is interested. They weren't used much.

Correction on previous post: The other tube I mentioned I was looking for, the IEC or International is actually International Servicemaster.

Also looking for RCA (with the the big heavy red RCA letters) 7025 British smooth plates.

Oki-Dog? That one has slipped by me. Where might a person locate a review sample? This must be investigated...immediately.

"Mike's Hockey Burger" is located at the corner of Soto and Washington. It has been there for over 40 years, operated by the Chitjian (sp?) family. Once or twice a week for the last 20 years, I or one of my employees picks up lunch for all of us there. The family that operates it are right out of Seinfeld. You could usually count on the mother or daughter answering your "How are you today?" with a terse "yeah right!, whaddayawant!". They would bicker and argue all day. But, the food is as good as any breakfast/lunch counter anywhere. Their Hockey Burger is a classic right up there with #9 Pastrami from Langer's Deli. Not to mention the place is so clean, you could eat off the floor. I've seen LA's Mayor, Police Chief, and many other famous local types there. Sadly, I was told last week that the Matriarch of the family died suddenly last week. Rest in peace Florence, we will all miss you.

Regards,

Chris

The cheese burger on the Armenian bread at Mike's Hockey Burger is indeed AWESOME. I haven't had one in about ten years, but I'm sure glad they're still there!

From the L.A. Weekly:

Oki Dog

A couple of hot dogs wrapped in a tortilla with chili, pickles, mustard, a slice of fried pastrami and a torrent of goopy American cheese adds up to a cross-cultural burrito that's pretty hard to stomach unless you've got the tum of a 16-year-old, but is strangely delicious nonetheless. Oki Dog's teriyaki-steak sandwich must contain half a pound of sweet, grilled beef, thinly sliced and plopped into a torta roll with lettuce and mayo. But the best of the Oki creations, a Chinese-American-Jewish-Mexican thing made by Japanese cooks for a mostly African-American clientele, is the pastrami burrito, a foil-wrapped grease bomb the size and weight of a building brick, bursting with fried pastrami, sauteed cabbage, onions, peppers, mustard, pickles and a healthy dose of Oki chili, enough food to feed a medium-size family for a week. Oki Dog, 5056 W. Pico Blvd; (323) 938-4369. Open seven days, 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Dinner for two, food only, $5-$7. Lot parking. Cash only.

The cheese burger on the Armenian bread at Mike's Hockey Burger is indeed AWESOME. I haven't had one in about ten years, but I'm sure glad they're still there!

From the L.A. Weekly:

Oki Dog

A couple of hot dogs wrapped in a tortilla with chili, pickles, mustard, a slice of fried pastrami and a torrent of goopy American cheese adds up to a cross-cultural burrito that's pretty hard to stomach unless you've got the tum of a 16-year-old, but is strangely delicious nonetheless. Oki Dog's teriyaki-steak sandwich must contain half a pound of sweet, grilled beef, thinly sliced and plopped into a torta roll with lettuce and mayo. But the best of the Oki creations, a Chinese-American-Jewish-Mexican thing made by Japanese cooks for a mostly African-American clientele, is the pastrami burrito, a foil-wrapped grease bomb the size and weight of a building brick, bursting with fried pastrami, sauteed cabbage, onions, peppers, mustard, pickles and a healthy dose of Oki chili, enough food to feed a medium-size family for a week. Oki Dog, 5056 W. Pico Blvd; (323) 938-4369. Open seven days, 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Dinner for two, food only, $5-$7. Lot parking. Cash only.

Allen,

Thanks for the info on Oki-Dog. I'll be doing some recon later today. Sounds like they are very near Mo' Betta Meaty Meat Burgers. Hopefully they don't have the long lines one sees at Pink's.

I realize we're way off topic here, but when you think about, Los Angeles really does have a very rich epicurean and cultural heritage.

Some of my favorite locals only dives:

Langers

The Shack

Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles

The Pantry

Apple Pantry

Manuel's El Tepeyac

Johnnie's Pastrami

El Burrito Jr.

Chiro's

King Taco

Philippe's

I could go on and on...

Chris

I have been to EVERY on of these establishments MANY times!!!

I've been going to Philippe's since the early 1960's. My grandfather used to take me there before Dodger games and I contiune to honor this tradition at least 3-4 times every season! The Lamb french-dip with that KILLER mustard is something to die for and the Tapioca is the best I've ever had!

Have you ever been to Joe Jost's in Long Beach on Anaheim St. This might well be my FAVORITE of these places!! My grandfather started taking me here when I was about 3 years old and I'm there about once a month even now!!

http://www.joejosts.com/

Allen,

Never been to Joe Jost's, but it sounds like a great place. It's going on the list right after I get to Oki-Dog. Gotta agree with the stopover at Philippe's before a Dodger game. The only difference for me is that as a Northern California born and bred Giant's fan, the Dodgers are the only Los Angeles team left I haven't adopted. While I have become a big Laker, Kings, USC and UCLA fan, I just can't stomach the Dodgers. I've been here 20 years now and my nine year old son continually says to me, "Get over it Dad, you live in Southern California now." Can't do it. We go to 8-10 games a year and I still love it when they lose, especially to the Giants. It was particularly appaling to haul up to San Francisco for 2 of the World Series games last year only to lose those droids from behind the Orange Curtain. It still hurts to think about it. BTW, we usually go to a couple of Ice Dogs games each year. Ya gotta love their promotional creativity. Girls skating around in bikini's, throwing tee shirts to the crowd. The Hot Tub and "Beach" seats...great stuff.

Chris

This is a bit strange for me...I am originally from Chicago and NOTHING out here beats Chicago's restaurants. I'll admit, I have not eaten at those places listed above, but somehow the food there is just better. Especially pizza. There's a guy from chicago who makes a great pizza out here, but somehow the ingridients are not quite the same, and thus neither is the taste...ahhh, Chicago Hot Dogs, Italian Beef, Pizza...to die for!

Chris,

The Giants beat the Padres today in the 9th. Great game, baseball...the best. I'm a big Giants fan, too! Garlic fries and an Anchor Steam at PacBell work for me.

fini

Fini,

One of the most enjoyable times of my life (not counting marriage, birth of children, first time, etc.) was at Game 4 of the WS this past October. We took Bart from the East Bay to a special Muni to Pac Bell. The excitement was fabulous. The first World Series victory in San Francisco in 40 years. Love the garlic fries, gotta have a Bratwurst and Anchor Steam.

Go Giants!

Andy,

My family is from Chicago. In fact we moved to Santa Clara (50 miles south of SF) when I was 3. Been back many times. Gotta agree that the pizza back there is the best and the steaks too. Please don't judge Southern California's cuisine quality by what you find behind the Orange Curtain. That would be like judging Chicago's by what you found in Aurora.

Chris

NYC pizza is crap. Not even worthy of the name. The West coast has a similar idea. They think they are eating pizza. No such thing as PIZZA with ranch dressing & grapes on it. And quite frankly, its very difficult to get a REAL PIZZA more than 75-150 miles outside of CHICAGO.

NYC & CA pizza=SpeakerLab Khorn

LOL

14.gif

The fact that you equate California Pizza with coal-fired New York pizza just shows how ignorant you are!

New York pizza has only tomato sauce, cheese, and garlic on a feather-light THIN crisp crust. THAT'S IT!

I agree that CA pizza generally SUCKS--it's even WORSE than Chicago pizza!