KLF 20's - back panel came loose

bigal

• 3 weeks later...

if they are medium oak, THERE IS NO WAY TO FIX THEM. SHIP THEM (OR AT LEAST ONE) TO AVMAN A.S.A.P.!!!

hurry, they could explode at any minute!!! 2.gif3.gif j/k

liquid nails will do it, talk to someone at Klipsch first.

p.s. anyone selling ONE med.oak klf-20!?!?

avman.9.gif

• Klipsch Employees

If the KLF product was shipped by a small shipper, (ups or FedEx) they sometimes could have the front or back come loose.

When this happened, we suggest removing the drivers and using liquid nails to seal the inside of the cabinet. Make sure that the part is back in its normal position.

----------------

On 4/28/2003 1:30:12 PM Vladi wrote:

Yeah, why do these two topics stay on top?

----------------

Vladi,

If m00n asked that question, we'd have three pages of answers by now...2.gif

It's probably still at the top because of the poster, "Big Al." You do not place threads above his, and you DON'T mess with him!!

fini

----------------

On 4/27/2003 1:23:44 PM trey cannon wrote:

If the KLF product was shipped by a small shipper, (ups or FedEx) they sometimes could have the front or back come loose.

When this happened, we suggest removing the drivers and using liquid nails to seal the inside of the cabinet. Make sure that the part is back in its normal position.

----------------

Would this problem cause the back panel to rattle as volume is increased? I'm not sure of what model i have but they are 6 year old towers to which when i increase the volume one back panel seems to rattle loudly. When I put pressure against the back panel it subsides... also what do you mean by removing the drivers???

Yes, when the volume is turned up it creates more presure and the back vibrating gets loud. I would cut 3/4" by 3/4" pine strips and glue and screw them to the side of the cabinet and the back. I had to do this to a pair of KG5.5 speakers. Klipsch just hot glues these pieces together.

• 7 years later...

Hi, I'm having this exact same issue with my 30's! I knew it was the
at the top of the back pannel from inspecting it, but was so unaware of
how to fix it! After looking on here for a while i see mannny people
have this problem with the KLF series. You all say to use liquid nail
and that should fix it. So are you implying that i take off the drivers
horn and tweeter, and then go in and scrape away all the old glue around
the back board, and then simply apply the liquid nail all the way
around the edges of the back pannel, and then slide it back into place?
or is there a better method in doing this? I'm completely clueless to thsi at all and wanna make sure I do it the proper way.. Id reaallly apppreciate if anyone could take me step by step through this process! [:)]

Thanks!

Mart.

Also.. I called 1-800-KLIPSCH and they're tech was almost zero help to me.. I'm sure i just had a newbie retard but i knew more about my speaker then he did. And i've only owned my 30's for about a week.. I trust you guys on here more! [:D]

Yes, you pretty much described the correct procedure.

If you can get glue between the joints and then use clamps (for wood gluing) you will be even more solid.

FWIW; I have always had positive experiences from Klipsch Tech Support. They even walked me through removing plastic outer rims on my K1001Ks from my KG 5.2s so I could replace the rubber surrounds. Most places would tell you to ship it to them and pay them right away.

Just because someone is new or doesn't know does not make them a "Retard". No one replied to your inquiry calling you such.....[:o]

My .02

Good Luck

Thanks much, I really appreciate the tips, and i apologize for the 'retard' comment, meant no offense to anyone by it and i may have not spoken clearly to him as well. sorry for that. But thanks again for the advice. I'll try to find some clamps to hold it well in place. Just one more question, would i be able to find Liquid Nail at an ACE hardware? I have guerilla glue but hear liquid nail is the way to go.

Thanks much,

Marty

• Klipsch Employees

We do have some very new guys up in the Customer service area...Most of our products are older than they are....

Try this...

INSTRUCTION SHEET FOR REPAIRING LOOSE KLF FRONTS AND BACKS

A: LOOSE BACK

1: Remove drivers from cabinet.

2: Lay cabinet on back with the front pointing upwards.

3: Using 80 grit sand paper lightly scuff the surface of the back along the area were it comes in contact with the sides of the cabinet.

4: Apply a bead of Liquid Nails about 1/4” or 6 mm wide over the entire area were the back and sides join.

5: Allow at least 2 hours to dry, Then install drivers.

B: LOOSE FRONT

1: Remove drivers from cabinet.

2: Lay cabinet on one side.

3: On the side facing down lightly scuff the surface of the front along the area were it comes in contact with the sides of the cabinet with 80 grit.

4: Apply a bead of Liquid Nails about 1/4” or 6 mm over the entire area were the back and sides join.

5: Lay cabinet on opposite side and repeat steps 3&4.

6: Set cabinet with the top down

7: Using 80 grit sand paper, lightly scuff the surface of the back along the area were it comes in contact with the top the cabinet. Repeat step 4.

8: Set cabinet with bottom down.

9: Using 80 grit sand paper, lightly scuff the surface of the back along the area were it come in contact with the bottom of the cabinet. Repeat step 4.

10: Allow at least 2 hours to dry. Install drivers.

• Klipsch Employees

I have used the weight of the speaker to hold the back in place...I set up 2 one gal paint cans to set the speaker on. I placed it on its back on the cans after applying the glue. and putting the parts back in the cabinet.

• 7 months later...