NEW KLIPSCH REFERENCE?

----------------

On 4/4/2003 2:06:36 AM foodshouldbefree wrote:

awesome. Do you think they will sound a lot better than the Klipsch Ref. thats out on the market right now? Improved mid-range? Anything?

----------------

Remember that the Klipsch RF-7 speakers are NOT being replaced. They will remain top-of-the-line Klipsch Reference Series speakers. The Klipsch RF-5 speakers are also NOT being replaced.

----------------

On 4/4/2003 10:18:43 AM DeanG wrote:

Actually, I would be surprised if they sound as good. The new drivers aren't as thin, and come with more mass on the cone surfaces.

----------------

Thats exactly what im afraid of. I dont know if i should buy the RF-3II now or wait for the new stuff - and what if i dont like the new stuff as much.

I personally like the black dustcaps on the current Ref series woofers. The copper dustcap could grow on me, I guess... but I just don't like it. They look too, new and un-Klipsch-like. (new as in new age; modern)

I like the nice classy classic look Klipsch stuff has... this is too non-normal for me. I'll sitck with my KG-2.5's for a while. They are pretty. 9.gif

"Actually, I would be surprised if they sound as good. The new drivers aren't as thin, and come with more mass on the cone surfaces I was trying to bait Bob Gassel into a show. What a wiener"

OK Dean, you got me.

The new cones are NOT heavier. They sound better for a variety of reasons. The new process makes the cones more resistant to denting and poking injury, but does not increase mass.

The truth will set you free.

BobG - unlike other people on this forum, I am actually consider buying some "new" "Klipsch" speakers. A forign concept to us 9.gif

I just hope the quality will be on par or better than the RF-3II's, the RF-35's look like they could be a plasticy mess of mold marks and creaking panels. I sure hope not.

----------------

On 4/4/2003 7:46:03 PM foodshouldbefree wrote:

i agree. im actually quite scared of this new reference series....i hope i dont have to revert to paradigm..
----------------

What I would expect of the speakers is the plastic to be thick and tapping it with a metal opject would NOT let it bounce off or make "plastic" noise. It would be like hitting a log, very solid and dense. Plastic is OK, as long as it's done well.

Like I said, as long as it's done well (on-par with the last Reference speakers), it's fine by me. The sound will probably be the same.

All that pretty (up to you I suppose) plastic is backed up by solid 3/4" MDF. Our decreaking team has worked these over to fend off that problem. I absolutely understand the fear and concern that is expressed over the changes in these new models. Based on feedback from the handful of dealers who've had a chance to check out the new models, I'm very confident that the world will see them as quite a step forward. Time will tell of course and there is no way to please 100% of the people. As they'll start appearing in stores in about a month, you'll have the chance to decide for yourselves quite soon.

• Klipsch Employees

The first batch of RF-25s started coming off the line today. It wont be long now until they are in the store.

I helped work on these. I have had time to listen to them next to the rf2 and 5.

As a big fan of the 3 and 5, I had mixed feelings to start with. But once they were dialed in all my worry went away just like the speakers when I shut my eyes.

The soundstage is much better (IMO). If you like the rf-3 or 5, you should love the Rf-35.

I think my fave is the RB-75. Short of having the bass of the rf-5, I think it sounds better than the tower.

But what do I know; I am just a Tech....

If you havent had a chance to hear them by June, come to Indy and I will hook you up...

----------------

On 4/10/2003 10:53:09 PM trey cannon wrote:

The first batch of RF-25s started coming off the line today. It wont be long now until they are in the store.

I helped work on these. I have had time to listen to them next to the rf2 and 5.

As a big fan of the 3 and 5, I had mixed feelings to start with. But once they were dialed in all my worry went away just like the speakers when I shut my eyes.

The soundstage is much better (IMO). If you like the rf-3 or 5, you should love the Rf-35.

I think my fave is the RB-75. Short of having the bass of the rf-5, I think it sounds better than the tower.

But what do I know; I am just a Tech....

If you havent had a chance to hear them by June, come to Indy and I will hook you up...
----------------

I want a pair of RF-35's. I will contribute to the "Buy-new-Klipsch-to-keep-them-in-business-because-1964-Klipschorns-changing-hands-10-times-doesn't-help-out-Klipsch-fund" 9.gif

Hey, when I get rich, I want a NEW pair of Klipschorns, and I gotta keep the company alive, well, help obviously 2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Deang .... Mass in woofer can be beneficial. A mass ring installed on some woofers causes the Fs to shift down & also shift Qts & usable frequency range to smooth out at low end. You can concentrate the mass at the apex of the cone or distribute it over the entire surface of the cone. On high frequency drivers you can go from ultra low mass Beryllium to a special back coated beryllium or just go to phenolic. Mass can at times give you a flatter responce. But every thing cant be equal some trade offs will accure. sensitivity will drop some but who cares. Unless your one of the 1 Watt amp owners.