Somebody scored big time...

Deang

No, not your thing -- but cool amps. Basically 1/2 of a Stereo 70 in a monoblock design. Very nice looking and just the right amount of power for most folks.

Something of interest regarding the EL-34.

"...the big brother of the EL84/6BQ5 was the EL34. It has one of the narrowest envelopes for an output tube and was equally popular during that time period. Like the smaller one I noticed it too seemed to have better speed and tighter bottom end than similar larger envelope tubes. The EL34 also has a unique feature in that it is the only pentode made that can be wired in true triode for lack of internal jumpers between the grids. This gives limitless possibilities for how you combine the grids and plate to accomplish triode operation."

Interesting so what are the limitless connection possibilties ??

Oh and I think the EL-84 has a much better bottom end, Top End and Mid range the El-84 is all around has a better balance so far in my findings !! Audio Flynn was over the other day and thought the same thing. EL-34 has a great Mid but lacks in the upper and lower ranges compares to my 299B but this could be something in my ST-70 so who knows.

Craig

"Interesting, so what are the limitless connection possibilties?"

I have no idea, I don't do amplifiers.9.gif

What preamp are you using in front of the ST-70?

I don't know what to think about what you just said. Is your ST-70 running straight-up PP/Ultra-Linear?

I sure wouldn't characterize the Quicksilvers that way (lacking in bandwidth).

Hey! Check this out...

hipower1.jpg

hipower1.gif

hipower2.jpg

hipower3.jpg

hipower3.gif

hipower4.gif

hipower5.gif

hipower6.gif

hipower7.gif

Dean,

That is a sweet looking design !! Wish I had some trnasformers laying around that would be up to the job.

I've used 3 different preamps with the ST-70 and used these same preamps with my Scott 208 7591 based amp. The 208 sounds better to my ears more balanced sound just like the 299B. I have more playing to do with the ST-70 just not enough time for my own projects !

Craig

Edster,

That is one cool dude !! Output Iron so small it fits under the chassis Wow 1.gif

PPPLLLLLEEEEAAAASSSEE go buy a new knob for the thing though !!

Dean,

When we miss out on a deal that good we have to pick it apart just to make us feel better 1.gif

not exactly a "steal" at that price, but they IMHO are the best dynaco amps...with the triode strapped output they sound even better!...I kinda like the orignal input board (as long as you have good 7199s!) regards, tony

MkIII's MKIV and ST-70 are all decent offering from dynaco. All can be " made " to sound good at a resonable $ amount.

When us guys on this board re-biuld these vintage amps, we are getting good quality sound at a fraction of the cost of " brand new " amps.

There are still half decent priced " new " tube amps on the market but they are far out numbered by the extremly expensive brand names.

My own personal tube set-up require a rather small investment on my part compared to a few of my friends that have made morgage size payment for months on "new" audio research amps.

To my ears they got ripped off and i have my friends here on the klipsch board to thank for a killer push pull set up.Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying the mark III'S are the be all to end all tube amps. But for the price they have " big " sound.

P.S - if craig wants to repo the mark III'S he'll have to get past the two boxers pictured in my avatar. One of them sleeps right beside the tubes. lol9.gif