New 2003 Klipschorns - more pics

DTLongo

View of the midrange and treble horns from the back. Both horns have a stylized "PWK" on the backs of the driver units - Paul W. Klipsch. The midrange horn shows an apparent model number of "K-55-X." I saw no such number on the much smaller treble horn.

post-10590-13819246955402_thumb.jpg

Closeup of the binding post and crossover areas in one of the lower cabinets. The crossover itself is not visible, it is on the other side of the panel bearing the binding posts.

The internal speaker wiring is labeled Monster Cable. There are four pairs of binding posts. The main amplifier inputs are on the left. They are jumped to an adjacent pair of terminals. Those jumpers may be removed for bi-wiring. The next pair of terminals to the right is outputs to the midrange horn and the last pair on the right are outputs to the treble horn. The factory labeling is hard to see so I added white labels visible above the binding posts.

The speakers are (of course) very heavy and well made. They are not factory peapods though. Hand labor is evident. If you interchange the upper cabinets from how they were originally mated to their bass units, they are ever so slightly out of line. And there is some glue-smearing around the Klipsch nameplate on one of the speakers.

post-10590-13819246958132_thumb.jpg

Last pic - my right-channel Khorn. The finish is Medium Oak.

As earlier mentioned on the General board, acquiring a pair of Klipschorns was a life-long audio dream for me, now at last fulfilled at the age of going-on-61. I hope those of you who have a similar dream or are just curious have enjoyed the pics. If any of you have descriptions of how these new Klipschorns may differ from ones in the past, I'd be curious to know.

Allbests, /s/ Thomas Longo in Ocean Pines, MD

post-10590-13819246960852_thumb.jpg

Thomas,

Thanks for posting those pictures. I have a pair of khorns from the 60's that originally were unfinished. I have since veneered them and made them look very similar to yours. I'm very curious to listen to the "new 2002 khorn" and compare the difference. I will certainly post more pictures of mine (the before & after) once I get my stuff out of storage. There are some differences, but they seem to be minor. Congrats on getting what you really wanted.....you have good taste! I've listened to all types of systems including ones costing over 100K like the Wilson WAMM and still feel the khorn is more satisfying. Enjoy!

Thank you for the pics, i finally got to see the new line!

I love my my older sets,

The Squawker driver looks the same, on the outside? NEAT

The crossovers are well protected now! I do like it! YES

Lovely finish, NICE NICE NICE!

Have fun and enjoy, imagine 4 of those LOL !

Regards, JEALOUS Jim9.gif

Congrats on your BEAUTIFUL new klipschorns! Being partial to medium oak finishes, I naturally loved yours. My 98's are oak/oil finish. I like the warmth, but the lacquer is gorgeous without the need for oiling, right? (yes, i am a wood finishing dunce)

One of the coolest things about klipschorns is how that something that large can just kind of snuggle back into the corners and...well, if not disappear, they darned sure are relatively unobtrusive.

Of course, the sound is pretty cool, too! I too have listened to a lot of "audiophile" approved speakers (Thiel, Snell, Martin-Logan, Wilson, Sonus Faber, Dunlavy, etc.), but to paraphrase from the Beef Industry Council promo's, "Somehow, nothing satisfies like Klipsch"!

As for waiting so long to get your klipschorns, I'd just say better late than never!

ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!!1.gif

Those are sweet....thanks for pics....I bet your going to want to trade for Cornwalls soon since those are way to big for that room....hehehe...i got some Cornwalls in oak and would throw in some Heresys to if you would like....hehe.....who was the guy that put K-HORNS in the truck like that.....i would have come unglued if i saw that...and said what do you think those are a washer and dryer.....come on man show some respect..lol9.gif Rick

Thomas,

Thanks for the great pictures. If you haven't already thrown them away, make sure to keep those original shipping cartons! You never know when you might need them, and almost nobody holds onto them. I believe they cost hundreds of dollars from Klipsch.

I will second the idea to hold on to the Boxes. When I bought mine in 1988, I did. They are huge...4 oversized to protect K horns, but now that I am moving this fall, my "babies" will move just as they are today, unscratched, safe, and in 4 pieces safley to my next home. Just a thought.